Used 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

Only 4 years old and rusting
By nfinitygrl

2005 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first new car and I've completely loved driving it. It's fast, gotten me out of scary highway situations more than once and it's never, ever given me mechanical problems. I've kept up all maintenance diligently as I didn't want to void any of the warranties. The low profile tires are a bit pricey to replace but other than that, upkeep hasn't been bad. The car sits low and that helps increase chances of a cracked windshield, which I've replaced once. But after having the car for only 4 years, it is rusting in 3 places. Hyundai's warranty won't fix it as the 3 year paint warranty expired and the rust hasn't "perforated" the metal completely. Sadly, I will be replacing it :(

Favorite Features

This car has a lot of power and is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car out of metal that doesn't rust after four years. Improve interior plastic molding. I've had 2 places break -- the clip in the trunk and the backseat safety belt molding.

Fun ride
By Jay

2005 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was a big hater when it came to Hyundai until gas went through the roof, and then I decided to trade in my Wrangler in for the Tiburon. And I have to say it is an awesome car. The acceleration is awesome even with it being an automatic. It handles great and the interior is sweet. And if you put in an after market stereo (head unit,subs and an amp) WOW! I have two tens and an 800 watt amp and with the infinity system it is mind blowing. And the gas mileage is pretty good, around 26 mpg. All and all this is a great car.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, acceleration, interior, sounds system

Suggested Improvements

Can't complain

Fun car!
By smshpmkn

2005 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

this has been my favorite car. its fun to drive and looks awesome. i still get people turning heads and asking what kind of car it is. the only problems i have had with it has been weather related. i live in an area with a lot of snow and cold temps and you can tell they didnt design it for this type of weather. if there is more that 4 in of snow on the ground dont go out driving you will get stuck if you have to stop but handles pretty well besides that. but i dont mind. i just take it in every winter to get the e-brake replaced for free.

Favorite Features

sub woofer, style(low profile look of it), speakers are awsome but even better when you put in a nice head unit. and i also like the spunky quickness of it.(have beaten or kept up with many cars...s2000,mustang,camero) just gotta know how to drive

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, e-brake freezes if it gets below 32. rear wheel drive would make it even more fun to drive.

Awesome car!!
By Banana

2005 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car! I bought my Tiburon new in 2005 and have never had a problem with it. It is Super fun to drive and speeds up really nice. Very smooth acceleration and great gas mileage. Interior design is incredible as well as exterior. This car comes equipped with tons of features and is definately worth the money. Trunk space is enormous for such a small car. My massage table fits in there perfectly. Only problem is if you have someone who is 6' in your back seat. haha.. not too comfortable. But otherwise the car is very comfortable and a great ride!

Favorite Features

Leather/red cloth racing seats are very stylish. Incredible Infinity sound system. The warranty on this car is great. Cant beat 10 yr 100,000 mi. They really back up their vehicles. My favorite feature is the outside temp gage.

Suggested Improvements

More head room for backseat passengers

How to get a 40k car for half that.
By Jamey

2005 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Been looking at a Tiburon since Hyundai came out with them. I owned a 1992 and 1994 Excel in the past. Loved the little cars... but Hyundai has moved to a whole new level with this. The car looks BEAUTIFUL. Heads turn constantly. Not much room in the back, as long as that is not important. Rear seats are for lower insurance, as they are too small & anyone over 5'6" will feel cramped. Leather interior well crafted; all controls in easy reach and well placed. Shifting is easy. Stay away from the automatic as this car is TOO much fun and is too fast. Shifting is require to get full enjoyment out of car. In fact, get the 6 speed for better gas millage on freeways.

Favorite Features

LOVE the engine roar. Doesn't sound like typical foreign/Asian car... almost has a muscle car feel... 6 Speed, 380 watt sound system, leather seats, V6 power. The Tital Blue (metallic blue) is simply gorgeous. The low profile windows look nice. Doors are thick and solid like a muscle car.

Suggested Improvements

High tale spoiler is a bit noisy during Freeway driving. BLIND SPOT on rear left side, must make concerted effort to look over shoulder COMPLETELY before changing lanes to the left. Despite the sweet infinity sound system, the in-dash deck is very whimpy and doesn't fit car. I will replace that.