2004 Hyundai Tiburon Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Tiburon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

Sort Reviews by

Trust Me
By strtrcr

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Special Edition 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car with it having 32,000, It was all good for awhile then a pully went out, then the thermostat broke, then I had to replace the clutch and flywheel at 50,000. The mechanic at the dealer said he was not surprised to know that. Now, the BCM chip is out and is causing my car to have major electrical problems. This car stinks with all the mechanical work that it needs. Just one thing after another. The car is nice for looks but when it comes to reliability, its out the window.

Favorite Features

The style.

Suggested Improvements

Make it a little more roomy, put in a clutch and flywheel that will not go out shortly after you drive the car, make a supercharged engine.

Unique, quick, and a overall good car
By PUN15HR

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Special Edition 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've now had my tiburon for 2 years, and I must say, overall I'm very impressed. I have modified this thing past the point of unrecognizable and it takes to every mod like a pro. Car has had some issues, (that are known by every tiburon owner) clutch design is a p. O. S as well as the dual mass flywheel setup. Look into a conversion kit for best results. Window motors are known to go bad as well as a alignment issue and syncros (which I have replaced under warranty) overall good handling, great sound from the motor when modified, good acceleration and excellent style. Sure theres little kinks but they had to cheapen some parts to bring such a sports car at such a incredible price.. A+ to Hyundai

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design, extensive aftermarket support, Dual exhaust, 6speed tranny and the uniqueness of the car. Out of 14 cars ive owned and tuned by 28 years old ive never had so many compliments as well as people sayin "hey what is that thing" lol

Suggested Improvements

NEW CLUTCH! Window motors, and creaks and noises inside the cabin

She thinks its sexy
By Dan

2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a private seller. It is a '04 2dr coupe. I was optimistic about the whole 4cyl but it runs great for one. Great gas mileage compared to the pickup I was driving. I've had a ton of compliments since owning it for one week. Its very sleek and runs smooth.

Favorite Features

Body design, interior layout, dual exhaust, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

interior is hard to vacuum, hatch picks up a lot of leaves

fun and unique
By alexthesock

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Special Edition 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my tiburon used only a few months ago but I have wanted one since I first laid eyes on one 5 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised with most aspects of the car. Most notably the 6 speed manual is a lot of fun because of the gear ratios. Clutch is both intuitive and fun (very important to me). The front end lines of the car give you a great idea of where your car is but the back end is a little hard to judge. Labeled as 4 seats but really only two really comfortable seats. Im 6,2" and enjoy the driver seat very much. Mine was purchased with custom sound and exhaust so no comment. Fuel economy could be slightly better. **no car is as unique and low-key at the same time as this car**

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. Well designed front end. Enjoyable clutch. 6 speed. Unique car.

Suggested Improvements

Small rims but can still perform with the right tires. Hard to see behind the car, wider rear view mirror helps. Cant comment on sound but a custom system always makes you feel better.

Nice Style, Efficiency, and Reliability
By BMS

2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Tiburon new in January of '04. I was initially impressed with the style and features offered on a car in this price range. I know that Hyundai used to build junk but they were attempting to re-brand themselves around 03-04 and I really liked the Tibby then, so I bought one. I love my car. I have over 100,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had is around 40,000 the rotors had to be replaced. I change the oil every 6,500 miles and the car runs great, looks great, drives great, and is so versatile. I love that I can flip the seats down and throw my roadbike in the trunk. Overall, probably the most car you could get for around $16,800. And the new ones are even sexier!

Favorite Features

Smooth shifting manual transmission, sunglass holder, heated mirrors, lumbar adjustment, tight suspension, stainless accents in cabin, moonroof, infinity sound system w/ factory sub, deeply bolstered seats, huge cargo area (with rear seats flat), fog lamps, projector-style headlights, cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Some of the plastics (wheel well liners, and some the undercarriage protection) has come loose and should be attached with something more substantial than nylon bolts.

There are better cars for the price!
By Sean Roney

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for about 3 years and I have to say it is a good looking car that has the looks of the European sport cars that we all want. The car has the ability to turn head and put smiles on peoples faces but it also can be an expensive vehicle to maintain and after owning it for a year or more you learn that you are paying for looks and nothing else. The cams are already ticking at 41000 miles, people are talking about their clutches going out, the car eats tires since most of the weight is in the front, gas should better, performance is not as good as some 4 cylinder cars, the V-6 is pretty weak for how big it is, and the interior feels very cheap with its lack of refinement.

Favorite Features

The looks,sound of the engine, the feel the car when accelerating, and the fun to drive aspect. Another great thing about it is that the ladies love it!

Suggested Improvements

Interior design(too much plastic), engine power and efficiency, overall quality, suspension, weight distribution, long term uses/everyday uses, and Hyundai should offer a all wheel drive version.

Surprised and Happy
By Banana GT

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Special Edition 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Tib GT SE as a cheap commuter car and expected not much more, but I was really amazed by this car. Going on 4 years and 40K miles, and I still love driving it. I have the V6 6-speed, and I've read of people having clutch troubles-- not with me-- I drag race my Tib semi-regularly and use nitrous-oxide injection every time, still the original clutch! I average 29mpg on my regular road trips and couldn't be happier, and it handles fantastic. Not much back seat foot room, so I have to use the other car for family trips, but it is worth it. The Kenwood system is fantastic, and the a/c is excellent. I haven't had a single problem with this car, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling

Suggested Improvements

I understand that Hyundai has improved the paint quality in newer models-- good thing-- my paint chips if a stone flies NEAR my car, Also, adding a less restrictive engine air intake and a free flowing exhaust at factory would free up lots of power-- I did and picked up 42 horsepower (Dyno tested).

My Tibby
By Stang

2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 17 years old and still in high school so I needed something kinda sporty that I wouldnt get made fun of but still wouldnt kill me with insurance and gas prices. So after a month I finally found the Hyundai tiburon. I've owned it about a month now and I love it. I love the way it handles and the purr of the engine (even with a inline four cylinder) when I start it up and it idles. I wish it could go faster than 130 mph but I'm not complaining. The interior is pretty sweet. It doesnt look cheap. The body style is pretty slick looking too. I get a lot of looks when im driving around town. Being in a city in North Dakota you kinda stick out with a sportier car.

Favorite Features

The handling in corners and the stock stereo system(Infinity).

Suggested Improvements

I'm going to have to agree with others on the fact that the seats are uncomfortable. A trip lasting longer than 20 miles and you start feeling it. I wouldnt recommend this car to anyone over 6 ft cuz im 6,1' and its a killer having to fall down into the car when I get in.

Head Turner
By Kevin

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Husky sound from the exhaust! 6 speed, all leather interior, premium sound system, great value!!! If you are thinking of whether you would have buyer's remorse after purchasing this car, let me help you!! Just buy it. Great on fuel, great on style. Sun roof gets a 10.

Favorite Features

Exhaust sound, 6 speed tranny, sunroof, cockpit design, exterior design. Spoiler, 16" alloy rims.

Suggested Improvements

Window motors go out, need better ones, more options on the sound system (EQ, more power, speaker direction)

UNKNOWN AT PURCHASE
By Jeannie

2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my Tiburon until this week. While getting ready for vacation I took the vehicle to my mechanic for an oil change. He noted there was wear on the rear passenger tire and suggested that I replace the tire before the trip. I contacted the place where I had purchased the tires a year ago and was told that the car was out of alignment in the rear and so I had the alignment done and purchased a new tire only to find out that these vehicles DO NOT have an adjustment feature. Now I must buy an after market adjustment kit which will cost me about $250 so that my tires will not continue to wear. It was very disappointing to find this out. I believe I will be looking for another vehicle.