Used 2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

Very Fun, Needs MORE POWER
By gr8ful4tori

2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 04 Tiburon 4cyl in September of 2012 with 100k on it, That was a year ago. Overall it is a decent car and VERY fun to drive, I just wish it had more power. I live in NY and this car did better in the snow than I thought it would (Hankook S1 Noble2 tires are awesome). The seats are Very uncomfortable and the back seat is almost pointless.

Handling!!!!! Awesome, get Hankook S1 Noble2 tires!!! they are worth every penny, I had goodyear eagle GT's and they didn't compare. I love the sporty look and the layout of the interior gadgets. If this car had less miles on it I would put more into it.

I was able to pep it up with some Royal purple oil, oil filter is royal purple as well and a K&N air filter, its not much but on a budget it did add some pep. Get a pillow to put on the driver seat unless you have leather. The cloth is very rough on the rear. This car is easy to work on unless someone decides to put LOCKTIGHT on the rotors, then you have a problem. I also recommend taking out the vale in the Clutch slave cylinder, this will increase performance and keep the clutch from burning out - for instructions google "Tiburon DIY clutch slave cylinder" it is easy.

200k Miles Later...
By lovemygt04

2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 GT in Sept of 06 with 30,000 miles. I just traded it last month at just under 200,000 miles. (187k) I've LOVED this car since the day I bought it! I was 19 when I bought it, so this poor car had more than it's fair share of abuse, and the Tiburon responded very well under the pressure. I did very few repairs, especially for such high mileage! None of the repairs were big ticket items, such as engine or transmission issues. More of the pesky nature, like struts, tires, and brakes. Overall I LOVED this car, and was very tempted to buy another, but set my sights on the Genesis Coupe! Hyundai has exceeded my expectations, and I am now a loyal Hyundai owner.

Speed, reliability, overall value, features.

I really cant say anything. It was an amazing vehicle to own. I loved it, I got compliments on it everywhere I went!

WORST CAR
By nicolemarija

2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this car full out from a girl at 106,000 i didntt pay much for it and its such a gorgeous cars, the girl took care of her and only took her out in summer, she said that hyundais have alot of problems and shes had to replace so much stuff and sold it to me for cheap, 4 months later shit started happening, brakes gave out.. i dont ever use my brakes inless i have to I gear down with my standard, then everything seem fined then my brakes nnow are giving out AGAIN, and sos my clutch, my car burns oil like CRAZY but when i bring it in they say theres no leak. then today I got home from work pulled my ebreak and then all of a sudden my check engine light camee on & wont go away, worst car

Fun sport car and great MPG vehicle!!
By edumorales

2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in April with 68,000 miles. . I am the second owner of the vehicle. So far, I am very satisfied with its performance, both in highway and city. It is a very fun to drive and very powerful for its 4 cylinder engine (I drive the 5 speed transmission). When it comes to mpg performance, it varies by fuel brand and driving conditions, like weather altitude, etc. I drive from Chino to Moreno Valley, California on a daily basis, and occasionally to the Los Angeles and San Diego area. Vehicle definitely performs better when driving close to those cities at sea level, and obtains better mpg under those conditions. After seven months, all I can say is that this is a great car!!

The MPG achieved with this car. On a full tank, and under the same driving conditions, I usually get the following amount of miles on the vehicle: -Costco gas: 300 miles total for 25.9 mpg. -Valero and Arco gas: 320 miles total for 27.62 mpg. -Shell, 7 eleven and circle K gas: 340 miles total for 29.35 mpg. -Exxon Mobil gas: 365 miles total for 31.51 mpg. I haven't yet tried Chevron but it is next on my list! One thing to note is that, when driving from Moreno Valley to Los Angeles, or just in Los Angeles or San Diego area, the mpg increases way more, sometimes up to 100-120 miles on a quarter of a tank. That is probably due to driving closer to a sea level altitude.

The back seat is definitely bellow standards. The space in the back seat is very reduced, even for my 4 year old daughter (she is 43 inches tall). That doesn't really bother as I drive alone most of the time, and my only passenger is my daughter. When she rides with me, I have to move the passenger seat a little to the front. All I can say is, if you are considering this car for more than two passengers, think about it twice. Other negative aspect is its height (headroom inside the car and low seats). Not a good car if you are tall (I am only 5' 7) or have knee problems, since seats are very low. Otherwise, MPG, engine performance, etc., compensates for the lack of space in the back seat.

Still makes me smile!
By yulia_gk

2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of my Tib, and it has been a pretty decent car in all respects. The V6 is still sharp after all of these years and I've been able to keep the car in good shape with relative little expense. With good attention to vehicle care, the factory leather and interior still look outstanding. Reliability is worth considering if you look at a used Tib - sensor quality is low and many are prone to failure. The clutch is also known for premature failure in Tibs - my car is on #3 in 110k. Modification of the clutch slave delay valve can improve clutch performance. In spite of all of that, I find the car relatively easy to work on and fun to own! Great value overall!

The standard projector headlights and foglights deliver great night time visibility and a higher-end look. The optional leather steering wheel/shifter/seats, sunroof, and 7-speaker sound system also add the the appeal of the car and they make a cheap vehicle like this a genuinely nice place to be. The pocket-sized V6. While power is pretty low (172hp/181ft-lb) the *way* it delivers the torque makes it much, much more fun to drive than a Scion TC/Toyota Celica/etc with their 4 cylinder engines. While it's not any faster on a track, the soundtrack to the V6 is much nicer than a 4cyl and highway acceleration is much better than rivals. Insurance premiums for women on this are very low.

The factory paint didn't stand the test of time, as it chipped and discolored on the plastic trim bits especially. I attribute this both to the previous owner's poor care and low paint quality. I had the entire car repainted following a fenderbender and still looks like new two years later. As mentioned, the clutch setup in this car is problematic. Consider an aftermarket single-mass flywheel as a dual mass replacement is in excess of $1,000 from a dealer. Small, relatively inexpensive things like sensors ($30-100ea) will fail. This is not a big deal if you're able to work on the car yourself, but it will cost you a lot more if you don't like getting dirty. It's been an annoyance.