Used 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

2001 tiburon
By maria99f4

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my tiburon about 3 years ago it has yet to let me sit. however the only proublems i have had with the car is the breaks. i had to put a new master cylender new calipers all new break lines and hoses and a new break booster. other than that the car has been good to me it runs great and has 123000k miles on it. however i dont think i would see my sefl buying another one

No major problems
By Joshua

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall have had a good experience with this vehicle. Only owner. Have had to fix both windows ($300-400 each) and the driver's side is acting up again. Tape deck went bad within a few months, replaced under warranty. ~110,000miles and have changed oil and spark plugs, no issues with engine or other components. Have been in a few (not too major) accidents and was impressed by the safety of such a small car. Handles great in good conditions. So light that drives horrible in snow, not that good on very wet surfaces, and only OK on dirt/gravel. Not enough weight on tires to keep enough friction. Backseat is hard to fit anyone over ~5'5".Trunk is surprisingly roomy.

Favorite Features

Trunk space. Manual transmission. Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Slide out cup-holder gets stuck easily. Window mechanisms are not good. Passenger door lock is kinda weird sometimes, but I don't usually have a passenger.

Looks cute, but it's a special needs car
By asherave

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If I had eschewed the last three repairs (at least $6,000 ago), I could have afforded a more reliable used car by now.

Favorite Features

Looks nice on the outside

Suggested Improvements

If you enjoy being not having money due to frequent repairs and insulted by indifferent customer relations, Hyundai is so for you.

nice car for the price
By andrew

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since 2006 and have put 24,000 on it so far. I've replaced the belts and front brake pads; done my own oil changes and had the atf replaced. The automatic tranny has never felt right, it shifts weird but has never broke down. The power is decent and the handling is ok. The brakes are fantastic but to sensitive at times. I locked the left front wheel only in a sudden stop and the car had handling issues after that. Its noisy even with the windows rolled but the sunroof is a great feature. The fuel regulator leaked so I replaced it but the new one started leaking after a year. The stereo is possessed. Cant skip forward on a cd just back, changes from radio to cd on its own.

Favorite Features

definetly the sunroof

Suggested Improvements

I went to the dealership to get belts, it uses three belts and the dealership only had two of the three! An excorsist for the radio! The automatic tranny just feels like its going to fall apart even if there is nothing wrong with it.

Never again
By Angel

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

it looked nice. it ran like junk . When it rained the lights blew out. The tranny was bad and the color was awful. The paint job on them was bad and honestly i will never ever buy another one ever again . We let them know the paint was peeling and they said it's under warranty . Well yeah if i wanted to pay 500- and whats more it was only 6 months off the line. Thxs and sorry never again

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

never make this car again.