2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (34 reviews )
1.8lt 1999-2000 coupe
By nick147 on 03/17/14 18:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

love the car, I brought it two months ago from Melbourne (2014) it only has 150,000kms on the clock. I had to fix the passenger window which cost me nothing, just some time as well as a cracked manifold which we ordered a new one for $150 and some time to fix the windshield wiper switch (stalk), the car came with a new windshield and battery but will need a/c re gassing ($200) it is super comfy and I highly recommend getting one P.S I got it for $1,600AUD

I love my tiburon
By blaze10729 on 05/15/13 11:06 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love my tiburon and i am the third owner of what i know of and yes it has had its problems but what i do know of that the car was beat when it was first bought so the transmission went out at 122k miles and a bunch of other stuff now that those are problems are fixed it runs just like it is new besides that it needs a few things but overall i do love this car but i do wish it had more power that thats ok

2000 tiburon the real review
By brads3111 on 01/23/13 20:22 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Ok little car. It will be the last hyundai i buy. Problems with it. every 60,000 you must replace the altenator. It causes powersurges and blows headlights. i've had three wheel bearings go out. I baby my car and have nothing but problems. it over heats even though i have changed my radiator, thermostat and water pump, and i change my fluid every year. It rattles like crazy.. Dont get one. i do have 160,00 on it

12 years no trouble - then sudden death
By dave072968 on 06/27/12 17:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Tiburon April 2000. It was my first brand new car. All I did was oil changes and gas and go for 12 years and had few problems with it until it died. The car looks fast and is fast enough to pass and get plenty of tickets but will not win any races so don't try. It has been a good car for the most part. The timing belt wore out. Now they tell me it's gonna cost at least $4400 to fix it.

Excellent car, even after all these years!
By ssjdavidas on 06/13/11 10:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The Tiburon is an extremely attractive, sporty, and reliable car. I've had to make no major repairs on it at all (still on ORIGINAL clutch) and I'm at roughly 165,000 miles. It is fun to drive and turns heads! My only wish is that it had a bit more power. It looks much faster than it really is.

2000 Hyundai Tiburon
By Leo M on 09/29/09 20:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought used in 01 with 8k miles. I have been HARD on this car (2.5 miles of dirt road daily, curvy roads, extremely fast, hit a dear at 65 mph, into ditches, over curbs) and it has held up tremendiously. Has 125K miles now. Have had to do very few repairs. Other than brakes, oil changes and tire rotation/replacement, I have only changed the spark plugs and wires twice, coil once, radiator once, belt once, battery once, wheel bearing once. This car is very reliable, it has never left me stranded anywhere, and mechanicly seems to be nearly indestructable. I couldn't be happier with my car. Even through I have drove the hell out of this car, it still runs great and looks nice inside and out!

Please Consider....
By Monica on 06/25/09 13:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I honestly love the car, how it drives, has awesome a/c, and just a fun car, but it has some major issues. I've read through these reviews and see that people are constantly replacing headlights, which I found myself doing the same. People with wiring problems, which I've had. I've spent WAY too much trying to fix a problem with my car not starting. It turns over only when it wants to. I've replaced the relay wire to the fuel pump, which worked for a while, but now the car is only starting when it feels like it. I've replaced the battery, ignition coil, relay wires. The interior dome lights quit working, and for a long time, my only headlights were my brights since the headlights wouldn't work

Electrical problems- warranty ignored
By Adriane on 05/10/09 22:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car had persistent electrical problems, and the dealership was dishonest about the cause of them. The car would power surge and burned out 12 headlights, 2 radios, and 3 new batteries. The dealership replaced the individual parts per warranty, but would not investigate the underlying cause. Then, when it was humid, the car would not start. Once the 5-year warranty expired I took it to a non- hyundai mechanic (and my electrical engineer father), and they immediately identified the problem. The specs in the factory for the plating in the electrical system were off, and the connectors would vibrate loose (as evidenced by corrosion) which would cause arcs and surges. I had the car 6 years.

one great car
By khlh on 01/16/09 11:09 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This has been a great car and fun to drive. I got this car it 0.10 miles on it and it now has 305,718.00 and it is just now on its way out. I has just had 2 clutches and one tranny ( 1 clutch and tranny) broken due to a bad shift in to 2nd gear at 80mph. just a great car.

STAY AWAY !!!!!
By Colleen on 08/13/08 09:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my car brand new from the dealer in aug 2000. Everything was great I loved the car until it was about 4 yrs old. (I still have to this day) since then I have had 3 transmissions replaced, many tail light wires and brackets (they keep blowing all the time sometimes even 15 min after replacing) speed sensor went on it. The check engine light kept coming on after countless times, the dealer couldn't even fix it but my boyfriend actually fixed it in under 10 min. The very next time it was in the shop the dealer ripped my o2 sensor wires out and my car has been horrible since (they still deny they did it too) horrible service from dealer would never buy a Hyundai again stay far away!