1997 Hyundai Tiburon Consumer Review: Great Looks, Disappointing Per

1997 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Review

FX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Great Looks, Disappointing Performance
By pepsizen on

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

Bought used in 2000, I owned this ten years before it started to fall apart (at 98k miles). It is an okay car, but very little pep. The handling is really good, feels a bit sporty, but unfortunately it lacks power. The HP is not 130 as Edmund's lists - it is closer to 113 and maybe less than that (when I owned it, I received a notice of a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for misreporting the HP of the FX). It needed only one or two major repairs until 98k when a lot went wrong all at once (to the tune of $2750). Handles decently in snow. Not many rust issues. The gas mileage is awful for a car with such little pep and power, I was getting 25 mpg (half city, half highway).

Definitely the styling. I love that it is different than anything else out there and at certain angles it looks really awesome. I was really disappointed when they changed the styling into a conglomeration of other manufacturer's styles in later years, looks awkward to me. I like the feel/look of the interior, feels like being in a cockpit. Sunroofs are nice to have. Rear defroster works great and is fast.

I think this car needs more pep, more power, better cup holders, a little more room inside, automatic trunk/door openers and a better quality interior, better fuel economy, and more amenities. I wish they would reintroduce this styling again, it really stands out from the crowd.