1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:
reliable, and a blast
By tyler29 on 03/31/13 22:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback FX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $1100 from a college kid. Had about 110k miles and had been in an accident. There was some exterior damage, but not too bad. I loved it immediately. Its a blast to drive, and I've never had to worry about it stranding me or so much as not starting. I am going to have to get rid of it soon, which will make me sad, but because of this car I'll probably end up selling this one for a new tiburon.

Great Looks, Disappointing Performance
By pepsizen on 01/25/12 10:07 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback FX 2dr Hatchback

Bought used in 2000, I owned this ten years before it started to fall apart (at 98k miles). It is an okay car, but very little pep. The handling is really good, feels a bit sporty, but unfortunately it lacks power. The HP is not 130 as Edmund's lists - it is closer to 113 and maybe less than that (when I owned it, I received a notice of a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for misreporting the HP of the FX). It needed only one or two major repairs until 98k when a lot went wrong all at once (to the tune of $2750). Handles decently in snow. Not many rust issues. The gas mileage is awful for a car with such little pep and power, I was getting 25 mpg (half city, half highway).

This car rocks
By GigaHz on 08/16/10 10:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback FX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the car new, when they were just introduced. My third Hyundai, and it is the best car I ever driven. Ive driven a lot of other brands, and none provided the same bang for the buck my Shark does. Very reliable and sporty, not to mention thrifty. I got over 40 mpg on a trip to Upstate NY from SE Virginia one time with the CC set on 65 mph.

hyundai is the best
By david on 12/14/09 08:45 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I was always a Hyundai man owning 5 new ones and many used. I bought this tib at auction with 150,000 miles on it. It now has 166,000 miles on it and I have never had 1 problem with it everyone comments on its looks. The mileage is great and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere I would never buy anything but a Hyundai

I love it!
By Bobbi on 11/18/09 07:30 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

My car is pushing 200000 miles,I thought it needed a new transmission, but changed the transmission FILTER and it is fine, just no overdrive? That filter was $25.00 a new transmission...too much. Now, if I didn't have a little body damage...I might go ahead and put a rebuilt transmission in, that's how much I like the car.

Decent Car
By Decent on 06/14/09 11:09 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I just rolled over 200,000 miles. Very reliable car, nothing too major done to it, tranny rebuild, replaced multiple wear parts, repaint. Never has left me stranded anywhere. Would definitely recommend to anyone that is looking to buy a cheap older vehicle.

its a car thats woth the experience with
By nbfinest* on 03/24/08 09:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback FX 2dr Hatchback

This car besides me putting a new engine, because of past engine overheating problems has been running very well. I've noticed shaking when reach speeds from 80-90 but could be just my car... But very fun to drive, but you must realize this is a Hyundai which used to be one of the cheapest cars on the road. So far with this car Hyundai put good thoughts in my head about their cars besides the low performance pick up. But I would recomend a cold air intake to at least get the car moving faster than a turtle.. Has a lot of potential tho, just didn't start off with it.

Trade it before it's too late
By cerwinvega18 on 08/28/07 23:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have my car since it has 70k and I have been driving it for 5 years. I have dumped over 3k into last yr alone on major parts. I have had to replace the 5 spd transmission $1200, water pump 2x $510, struts $269, alt $269, exhaust work, oxygen sensor which where $160, ac problems, tail light wiring problems $200, radiator cracked, headlight wiring problems, replaced half shafts $300, and more. But the did not honestly the car was dependable until reached about 127k.

my best car ever
By Razor_drive on 02/18/07 06:01 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback FX 2dr Hatchback

this car is a realy blast to drive.. the 0-100 in less then 10 makes it a realy fun car to drive :P got it to 0-100 in little less then 8 in a downhill yesterday :P awesome.. wonder if its turbo convertable.. and the 185kmph in 4'th gear.. love it <3 wonder what the max is :P

Like the energizer bunny!
By BlackFX on 07/18/05 14:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon Hatchback FX 2dr Hatchback

This was a demo when I bought it in 98' and it had 1,120 miles on it. I love it! In the past 7 years the paint faded off and had to be repainted, the rubber pads fell off the brake and clutch, the cluch pin jammed leaving me in 2nd gear, and the clutch was replaced, and the wiring to the turn signals shorted out. That may sound like alot, but you have to consider it's age and the reputation of Hyundai, plus it currently has 112k miles on it! Great car, very fun to drive and dependable!