Used 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

reliable, and a blast
By tyler29

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $1100 from a college kid. Had about 110k miles and had been in an accident. There was some exterior damage, but not too bad. I loved it immediately. Its a blast to drive, and I've never had to worry about it stranding me or so much as not starting. I am going to have to get rid of it soon, which will make me sad, but because of this car I'll probably end up selling this one for a new tiburon.

I dig the sun roof and the sporty feel

Throw a scoop on it or something like that

Great Looks, Disappointing Performance
By pepsizen

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

Bought used in 2000, I owned this ten years before it started to fall apart (at 98k miles). It is an okay car, but very little pep. The handling is really good, feels a bit sporty, but unfortunately it lacks power. The HP is not 130 as Edmund's lists - it is closer to 113 and maybe less than that (when I owned it, I received a notice of a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for misreporting the HP of the FX). It needed only one or two major repairs until 98k when a lot went wrong all at once (to the tune of $2750). Handles decently in snow. Not many rust issues. The gas mileage is awful for a car with such little pep and power, I was getting 25 mpg (half city, half highway).

Definitely the styling. I love that it is different than anything else out there and at certain angles it looks really awesome. I was really disappointed when they changed the styling into a conglomeration of other manufacturer's styles in later years, looks awkward to me. I like the feel/look of the interior, feels like being in a cockpit. Sunroofs are nice to have. Rear defroster works great and is fast.

I think this car needs more pep, more power, better cup holders, a little more room inside, automatic trunk/door openers and a better quality interior, better fuel economy, and more amenities. I wish they would reintroduce this styling again, it really stands out from the crowd.

This car rocks
By GigaHz

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the car new, when they were just introduced. My third Hyundai, and it is the best car I ever driven. Ive driven a lot of other brands, and none provided the same bang for the buck my Shark does. Very reliable and sporty, not to mention thrifty. I got over 40 mpg on a trip to Upstate NY from SE Virginia one time with the CC set on 65 mph.

Styling, smoothest shifter I ever had (I only drive sticks). Reliability, only 2 things failed in 157,000 miles. The crankshaft position sensor (@ 57k) and the alternator (@ 140k). Think Ford is good, try again, My F150 is always Found On Road Dead, yet my Shark always plays parts getter for F150

more power

its a car thats woth the experience with
By nbfinest*

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

This car besides me putting a new engine, because of past engine overheating problems has been running very well. I've noticed shaking when reach speeds from 80-90 but could be just my car... But very fun to drive, but you must realize this is a Hyundai which used to be one of the cheapest cars on the road. So far with this car Hyundai put good thoughts in my head about their cars besides the low performance pick up. But I would recomend a cold air intake to at least get the car moving faster than a turtle.. Has a lot of potential tho, just didn't start off with it.

driving, attention, sound of engine

plastic bumper, weak engine.

my best car ever
By Razor_drive

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

this car is a realy blast to drive.. the 0-100 in less then 10 makes it a realy fun car to drive :P got it to 0-100 in little less then 8 in a downhill yesterday :P awesome.. wonder if its turbo convertable.. and the 185kmph in 4'th gear.. love it <3 wonder what the max is :P

hm.. everything. the interior looks great. but it seems a little plastic fantastic,love it

improve it by making it rear wheel driven, and maby a cheap compressor stuffed under the hood

• SUV