1997 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:
reliable, and a blast
By tyler29 on 03/31/13 22:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $1100 from a college kid. Had about 110k miles and had been in an accident. There was some exterior damage, but not too bad. I loved it immediately. Its a blast to drive, and I've never had to worry about it stranding me or so much as not starting. I am going to have to get rid of it soon, which will make me sad, but because of this car I'll probably end up selling this one for a new tiburon.

Great Looks, Disappointing Performance
By pepsizen on 01/25/12 10:07 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

Bought used in 2000, I owned this ten years before it started to fall apart (at 98k miles). It is an okay car, but very little pep. The handling is really good, feels a bit sporty, but unfortunately it lacks power. The HP is not 130 as Edmund's lists - it is closer to 113 and maybe less than that (when I owned it, I received a notice of a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for misreporting the HP of the FX). It needed only one or two major repairs until 98k when a lot went wrong all at once (to the tune of $2750). Handles decently in snow. Not many rust issues. The gas mileage is awful for a car with such little pep and power, I was getting 25 mpg (half city, half highway).

This car rocks
By GigaHz on 08/16/10 10:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the car new, when they were just introduced. My third Hyundai, and it is the best car I ever driven. Ive driven a lot of other brands, and none provided the same bang for the buck my Shark does. Very reliable and sporty, not to mention thrifty. I got over 40 mpg on a trip to Upstate NY from SE Virginia one time with the CC set on 65 mph.

its a car thats woth the experience with
By nbfinest* on 03/24/08 09:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

This car besides me putting a new engine, because of past engine overheating problems has been running very well. I've noticed shaking when reach speeds from 80-90 but could be just my car... But very fun to drive, but you must realize this is a Hyundai which used to be one of the cheapest cars on the road. So far with this car Hyundai put good thoughts in my head about their cars besides the low performance pick up. But I would recomend a cold air intake to at least get the car moving faster than a turtle.. Has a lot of potential tho, just didn't start off with it.

my best car ever
By Razor_drive on 02/18/07 06:01 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

this car is a realy blast to drive.. the 0-100 in less then 10 makes it a realy fun car to drive :P got it to 0-100 in little less then 8 in a downhill yesterday :P awesome.. wonder if its turbo convertable.. and the 185kmph in 4'th gear.. love it <3 wonder what the max is :P

Like the energizer bunny!
By BlackFX on 07/18/05 14:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

This was a demo when I bought it in 98' and it had 1,120 miles on it. I love it! In the past 7 years the paint faded off and had to be repainted, the rubber pads fell off the brake and clutch, the cluch pin jammed leaving me in 2nd gear, and the clutch was replaced, and the wiring to the turn signals shorted out. That may sound like alot, but you have to consider it's age and the reputation of Hyundai, plus it currently has 112k miles on it! Great car, very fun to drive and dependable!

Awesome car
By Jack on 12/26/04 17:08 PM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

The Tiburon is such a great car! It is definitely an eyecatcher. So far my '97 Tiburon has over 140,000 miles and I have yet to have any major problems.

a good first car
By Silvercide on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

i have owned this car for a few month now and after some expensive 60,000 mile repairs, the car seemed to run perfect. the design is good for a hyundai and out of all the cars in that price range this car has been rather enjoyable for a hyundai. i have noticed some problems with the transmission, as it felt like the car was shifted into park while i was driving. but other than that, its been a dream. im a taller guy about 6'4 and i fit in this car very comfortable, just as long as no one is in the back

1997 Tiburon FX
By RageZ24 on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

The 1997 tiburon FX, is one heck of a little car. The editor throws off on it, well line it up next to a civic or a NA Eclipse(which cost about the same or more) and see what happens. Another great thing about this car is the styling. The car is held back alot by it emission/sound pollution control devices. I have seen real dyno gains of up 15hp just from a cold air intake (the stock intake you couldn't fit a dime in vertically), and 8 just from a catback exhaust system.(with great meintenance this car will go the distance.) Which is awesome unless you want to look like everyone else that drives down the road.

Great car
By chichisgrl on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I have owned other cars before including Honda and Toyota. This car ranks right up there with them. It handles great and runs like a higher end car. I really recommend this car if you love to drive.