Used 1997 Hyundai Tiburon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Tiburon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

reliable, and a blast
By tyler29

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $1100 from a college kid. Had about 110k miles and had been in an accident. There was some exterior damage, but not too bad. I loved it immediately. Its a blast to drive, and I've never had to worry about it stranding me or so much as not starting. I am going to have to get rid of it soon, which will make me sad, but because of this car I'll probably end up selling this one for a new tiburon.

I dig the sun roof and the sporty feel

Throw a scoop on it or something like that

Great Looks, Disappointing Performance
By pepsizen

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

Bought used in 2000, I owned this ten years before it started to fall apart (at 98k miles). It is an okay car, but very little pep. The handling is really good, feels a bit sporty, but unfortunately it lacks power. The HP is not 130 as Edmund's lists - it is closer to 113 and maybe less than that (when I owned it, I received a notice of a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for misreporting the HP of the FX). It needed only one or two major repairs until 98k when a lot went wrong all at once (to the tune of $2750). Handles decently in snow. Not many rust issues. The gas mileage is awful for a car with such little pep and power, I was getting 25 mpg (half city, half highway).

Definitely the styling. I love that it is different than anything else out there and at certain angles it looks really awesome. I was really disappointed when they changed the styling into a conglomeration of other manufacturer's styles in later years, looks awkward to me. I like the feel/look of the interior, feels like being in a cockpit. Sunroofs are nice to have. Rear defroster works great and is fast.

I think this car needs more pep, more power, better cup holders, a little more room inside, automatic trunk/door openers and a better quality interior, better fuel economy, and more amenities. I wish they would reintroduce this styling again, it really stands out from the crowd.

This car rocks
By GigaHz

1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the car new, when they were just introduced. My third Hyundai, and it is the best car I ever driven. Ive driven a lot of other brands, and none provided the same bang for the buck my Shark does. Very reliable and sporty, not to mention thrifty. I got over 40 mpg on a trip to Upstate NY from SE Virginia one time with the CC set on 65 mph.

Styling, smoothest shifter I ever had (I only drive sticks). Reliability, only 2 things failed in 157,000 miles. The crankshaft position sensor (@ 57k) and the alternator (@ 140k). Think Ford is good, try again, My F150 is always Found On Road Dead, yet my Shark always plays parts getter for F150

more power

hyundai is the best
By david

1997 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Hatchback

I was always a Hyundai man owning 5 new ones and many used. I bought this tib at auction with 150,000 miles on it. It now has 166,000 miles on it and I have never had 1 problem with it everyone comments on its looks. The mileage is great and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere I would never buy anything but a Hyundai

everything

none

I love it!
By Bobbi

1997 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Hatchback

My car is pushing 200000 miles,I thought it needed a new transmission, but changed the transmission FILTER and it is fine, just no overdrive? That filter was $25.00 a new transmission...too much. Now, if I didn't have a little body damage...I might go ahead and put a rebuilt transmission in, that's how much I like the car.

I really like the body style, and the comfort once I get seated. Also, the trunk is big enough to carry what I need, especially with the seats down.

Don't get an automatic transmission. They should be outlawed! But,I must say, this has saved me many cigarette burns and coffee spills. I just think a manual would do the car more justice.