2015 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Much like the cla-250 except done right
By Steve

2015 Hyundai Sonata Eco 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

There is a lot to like about this car. The ECO borrows a lot from the Mercedes CLA 250 which I also own. E.g. the trunk lid design is almost the same. I could trade in my benz for the ECO sonata,and probably not miss a thing. Pros: well designed, well executed car, a lot of common sense and standard options. 8 way automatic driver seat, quiet drive. A lot of torque, available all the way from 1500 rpm to 5K RPM. Same torque and torque curve as the CLA. (198 foot pounds) . Good fuel economy, takes regular gas. The standard tires are Michelin Energy's now. Dual, scroll turbos, so no noticeable turbo lag. Smooth and fast shifting 7 speed dual clutch auto tranny. Again, similar to the cla 250, except the Hyundai is faster and smoother shifting. Nice standard telematics package with excellent iphone and android integration. Cons: The turbo is not covered untder the 100K powertrain warranty. This may be a reason for folks who want to keep the car post the b2b warranty to stick with the 2.4L engine ( ie the non-eco sonata). If the turbo goes, and you are out of warranty, it is an expensive repair. The car perhaps a tiny bit underpowered. No spare tire. More frequent oil changes needed (5k vs 7.5K). The turbo engine is more finicky than the 2.4 inline 4 engine, so fully synthetic oil is highly recommended. I wish the BSD side mirror was standard on the ECO. The lumbar support is not hgt adjustable. Service wise, Hyundai is trying to take a page from Mercedes, and bundle a long list of "check this and inspect that" with the oil changes, and charge you a ton of money. Mercedes has alternating A and B services, costing $200 and $400. (Effectively a glorified oil change. Looking at the service printout for the A service, they do not even bother to pretend they did anything other than changing the oil and the filter). Hyundai is trying to get you to have your service done at the dealer, and charge similar jacked up fees by bundling a long list of super-overpriced checks and inspections. They are trying to make it sound like they are doing all this work, to justify charging you a couple of 100 $ for an oil change. E.g.: they will change your wiper blades for 3x what it would cost you to do it yourself. If you buy into the concept, you can get some discount off their insanely priced maintenance. They have a service leaflet, you may want to peruse while you are at the dealer. I do all my own maintenance, following the user's manual recommended service intervals and items, keeping detailed logs, and receipts. Do not be intimidated by a salesperson telling you that they will not honor the warranty unless you opt into their maintenance racket. By law they cannot force you to do your maintenance there.

Hyundai Used to be Awesome until 2010
By Unlucky Lady

2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T w/Black Leather and Gray Accents 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned 4 hyundais now. 1 2003 Accent, 1 2005 Elantra and 2 Sonatas (2010 and 2015). The first car was a lemon that I bought in Fall River, MA... Empire Hyundai... and I had to fight with the dealership hard because it needed the same repair over and over again. I got an elantra as a substitute and that car was fantastic. No complaints. in between 2005 and 2010 i owned many used and mostly new cars. I decided to get back into Hyundai again so I got a base model sonata in Virginia. I should have never traded it in, it was great. Bought a Cadillac which was great but i was hitting 100k and driving 140 miles a day, the repairs were adding up. Went back to Fall River thinking that the same money hungry jerks weren't there, well they weren't... just a new set of them were. Somehow, they managed to add an addition 5-10k to the loan, running me in circles because i was asking the same question "I dont see the trade in value for the car" to which they consistently answered me back saying, "we paid the loan off, its here" that wasn't my question. I called a lawyer and finally found that they added some charge that i would have NEVER agreed on if they had asked me if I wanted the service... some how they got away with it. They wanted me to go back to the dealership to talk about it, i said no, i didn't want to be taken advantage of for a third time in 1 month (i had gone back two days later and resigned paperwork for lesser service fees etc... stupid... i was stupid...). So i'm already sour because I hate this dealership but I love the car, its awesome, adaptive cruise control was worth it. The idea of driving 140 miles a day with ACC was like the highlight of my life. Up until a week ago. I'm trying to get on the highway, i sped up (its on a slight hill) and the car starts to jolt. I've seen this before, i've felt this before in my first hyundai, the accent. My heart drops. Here we go again. I press my foot down on the gas hoping it will just go away and stop jolting... no. 2 miles away from the next exit I'm shaking like crazy and get to a stop light. Turn the engine off and turn it back on... now its shaking worse and not only that i can barely accelerate. Ok good now we're going but we're still shaking and jolting every which direction. I some how make it to work even though some idiot in front of me is stopping in places they shouldnt stop in the road (because why not, that WOULD happen). 2 hours later I tell myself i'm not going to let this sit i'm going to go to the dealership. I call and make an appointment. OK be right there. Get in the car, turn it on in hopes the shaking is still there but not there at the same time ... the check engine light comes. good grief. the nav display asks if i need help i said heck yes please. i get connected to hyundai assistance and within 3 minutes into the call, the car engine shuts off but the battery is still going so i can communicate to the guy. I get towed away for free. What a monday. I get to the dealership around 5:30 after waiting for 3 hours for a tow. I'm tired, I haven't eaten and I just want to eat, go home and pass out. I get to the dealership and they say to me oh, the last shuttle left for the day but you can always call an uber. What is wrong with you? I just bought this car July 7th, 2015 and it only has 25k and you want ME to pay for an uber? I don't even know where the hell I am. I'm from southern MA not northwest of boston. He sends me to the waiting room. 20 minutes later, "has anyone replied back to pick you up?" i bite my tongue trying to be nice, "no, i'm not from here, everyone is about 2-3 hours away". "oh." yeah, oh. I walk out without anyone seeing me and go to chilis next door and vent. My friends come and pick me up and drop me off at home. I call the next day. "Can I have a rental" "Well we can hook you up with a 55 dollar a day rental from enterprise" "look, I didnt cause this issue, I didn't get into an accident, I did not ask my engine to jump around like a Mexican Jumping Bean in the chassis... I am NOT paying for a rental and I am NOT paying to use uber. I already have a daily expense for a car and its sittng in your garage. why would I want a second one...??" he said thats the best he can do. This started Monday, the call i just did happened tuesday. I didnt call Wednesday. I call yesterday asking for an update... well your cars engine is outside of the chassis, we asked for an overnight on the part we 'believe' will fix the problem but the part is back ordered nationally." are you kidding me? he offers this rental again for 35 dollars I said i wasnt paying a dime. Not one single dime for a problem i didnt create. The only problem i created was involving myself with hyundai. i'll never EVER buy another hyundai as long as I live. Never. Unfortunately before of the jerks I bought this car from added additional debt, I'll never get myself out of negative equity. ever. There is no ETA. I'm disgusted.

Can't go wrong with the ECO
By Anthony W

2015 Hyundai Sonata Eco 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Mama is Happy so am I
By Steve Page

2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purposely did not buy the car with a turbo. Turbos require closer attention to oil changes and should be idled before shut down to cool the turbo before the car is turned off. This is my wifes car and all she wants to do is drive comfortably from point A to point B and not think about the car. This is the perfect car for her, stylish, comfortable, safe and easily controlled. Lots of room in the cabin for her students and all the books and paperwork she carries with her. Plenty of room in the trunk for trips to see the kids and grandkids and most important of all.... she is happy with the car. She has the Limited with the Ultimate package with the 2.4 L engine and 6 sped trans. I liked the car so much that I bought myself a 2016 Sonata Sport with the Tech package 2.4L with 6 speed trans. All I can say is I love my car also.

Quality of leather seat is poor.
By Taylor

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a 2015 Sonata Sports in July 2015. The driver's seat leather color is coming off. It's turned grey and looks worn. I have contacted Hyundai's consumer department and the dealership about the problem. They say it's worn out from getting in and out of the vehicle. This is poor quality!!! They say they can't correct the problem. Why do I have a warranty if the problem can't be corrected? I have had leather seats in other cars I owned and his has never occurred. One car I had for 10 years and this never happened. A vehicle's leather seats should not begin to deteriate within a year. It's disappointing that Hyundai doesn't stand behind their products. This is the first and last Hyundai I will purchase.