Steering Problems! Think before you buy.
By acrossley on
2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Overall, this car is not worth buying. Plagued with rattles and wind noise right off the lot, and more importantly, the steering. The Sonata's steering is entirely too sensitive and requires constant correction on the highway. Don't let the dealer tell you it's because it has electric power steering, this is not why something is wrong with the steering. Go drive another car with electric power steering and you will find it to be worlds more comfortable to control than the Sonata. My arm is literally tired from keeping it in a straight line. If you go on a test drive, try staying in the middle of your lane; it is impossible. This steering problem is a safety issue.
Favorite Features
Audio quality. Looks.
Suggested Improvements
If a car can't be kept in a straight line, it should be recalled. Hyundai has been doing a very good job at hiding this problem from the public. My suggestion is do not buy this car. The steering is not worth the aggravation. I am also not the only one to have experienced this problem. Just do a quick search on Sonata Steering Problems and you will find pages about the subject. Problems existed in the 2011 models but have obviously continued to 2013.
By beachhair
on 04/01/13 15:18 PM (PDT)

I so wish I would of found these reviews before I bought my sonata. Took delivery 3/26/13. Driving the car home I felt like I couldn't keep the car straight in the lane...thought at first it was me, but it does it every time I drive it. I called the dealer and he said they will check the air in the tires...I didn't buy it, so I googled safety issues/complaints etc and I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across many of the same story. I do not feel safe in this car, especially putting my kids in it...we should all get together and do the lemon law. and let them take this car back from all of us...I am heading in that direction if they can't solve this safety issue...dangerous~~ Stay safe

By fl_lead_foot
on 06/08/13 13:04 PM (PDT)

You hate it, YET you give it 4 out of 5 stars! No category lower than 3 out of 5 stars! If it's as bad as you say, your ratings should be more like 1 & 2 stars with maybe a 3 tossed in!

By ni55
on 06/30/13 07:55 AM (PDT)

It is not only you! I just leased a new Sonata 3 months ago and I read reviews before I made my decision and I saw many complains about the steering but most of them were 4-5 stars so I didn't think it is that bad but it is! I drive mostly in the city and its a great car for the city but I HATE driving it on the highways! it is so bad that I don't feel safe in it. I contacted the dealer right away and they told me to use 2 hands while driving...really?!! i'm 50 and have well over a millions miles under my belt and you tell me that in this car I have to drive differently?...oh well, it is a lease and it will go back after the 3 years. I'm going back to Honda.

By joto1000
on 10/11/13 09:52 AM (PDT)

It's confirmed. The engineers are including a steering mode selector on the 2014 models. Driver Selectable Steering ModeEverybody has a different take on steering feel. It’s one of the most personal driver preferences out there. Some want more steering effort, others less. Well, with the Driver Selectable Steering Mode (DSSM) standard on every Sonata, now you get to choose. Select from three modes: Normal, Comfort or Sport by simply touching a button on the steering wheel.