Engine Shaking and Vibrating - Becareful..!
By andress360 on
2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I bought a my first Hyundai ever.....2013 Sonata 2.4 GLS with 9,700 miles, after a couple days (( 85 miles )) I noticed and Shaking, Vibrating sensation that comes from the engine. This is very irritating and disturbing since Hyundai is suppose to be coming up with better quality, sad to say but this gives me much to worry about since it can only get worse as I add miles to the car. I never had this issue with cars., so I'll be taking back to the dealer for service. After finding about this issue I wish I would have bought from Toyota, or Nissan. Very discouraging. If you do decide to buy this car make sure that you get their Top Service Warranty.
Favorite Features
Interior design sporty look, Very spacious. --- I noticed and Shaking, Vibrating sensation that comes from the engine. This is very irritating and disturbing since Hyundai is suppose to be coming up with better quality. You can feel the shaking from inside the car and it can be the motor mounts, and bad engine or many other things... If you do decide to buy this car make sure that you get their Top Service Warranty. The Car works, runs and drives fine..... it hasn't broken apart YET..... but I will Not consider buying another Hyundai again I may just get rid of it sooner than expected.
Suggested Improvements
If you do decide to buy this car make sure that you get their Top Service Warranty. This way maybe some day Hyundai will decide to do a recall and fix this issue, apparently they have know about this issues in previous years. The Car works, runs and drives fine..... it hasn't broken apart YET..... but I will Not consider buying another Hyundai again I may just get rid of it sooner than expected.
By andress360
on 07/31/12 07:33 AM (PDT)

Follow Up : I took it to the dealer for a review, Hyundai's technicians said that this is normal for the 2.4 GDI Engine I must say I did drive 3 other new cars and felt the same issue, with a low vibration BUT throughout the day's use it gives a harder stronger vibration on the searing wheel and the whole car while waiting for the light or at a stop. ----- There are NO issues while in motion the car runs great and smooth in motion and fast speeds. This vibrating sensation of the engine is only felt while the car is seating Still. ----- I hope it won't get worse later on by adding miles. The thing is that it will be hard to sell this car in the future to the public. Overall this car offers a lot for your buck, it offers a lot of features... - This is a good car, but I just wish it wouldn't have this shaking vibrating issue.

By sandypines1
on 01/20/13 17:51 PM (PST)

You don't want to buy a Nissan Altima, they have a problem with the cvt transmission, it shutters and vibrates.

By badealer4
on 08/11/12 16:21 PM (PDT)

By the way the Accent 2013 and Elantra 2013 have the same GDI engine. Also, I test drove an Accent and Elantra the same day. Neither car had passenger area vibration except some in the steering wheel with the A/C on and car in drive. The Accent idle was a little erratic; the Elantra idle was smooth. I feel then this is not a problem common to all engines, therefore it is fixable. One mechanic for the 2010 version said it could be the idle control air valve. You have to understand if this is a five cents part needed, the manufacturer would lose millions in labor costs to fix it. If they admit that just one car idle is abnormal, they have to fix all of them. So be it. The dealer is in the superior position to the unsuspecting consumer.

By badealer4
on 08/11/12 16:08 PM (PDT)

I brought a 2010 Hyundai Accent GLS auto Aug 2011 and had the same exact problem as andress360. I appreciate hearing of others experiences but I cant believe this vibration still exists. You can see my videos at youtube channel legaladvocate71. This problem appears on the NHTSA complaint database. In my BBB auto line arbitration case HYU1216311 it was ruled Hyundais suffer from manufacturer defective motor mounts. I think Hyundai should replace all four motor mounts free of charge on all cars; andress360 may have defective motor mounts; one mechanic told me the vibration is caused by the motor mounts and another said Hyundai said it caused by a bad timing chain. We can send men and women to the moon but we cant figure how to make an auto engine smooth idle? Why is this erratic idle engine accepted by the public? Because those car makers would be liable for millions. Such vibration and erratic idle is not in any of their ads. My 2013 Accent has the vibration road feel as well as thru the steering wheel with the A/C on. Remember the Sonata was recalled for failure to secure the steering wheel. I feel the vibration is a fixable problem and a worldwide scandal on car makers part.

By cyebrguy
on 08/11/12 07:04 AM (PDT)

I have to ask this... Did you not test drive the car before buying it? The idea of a test drive is to find the things you don't like (along with the cool things you do like) before laying down your money. You learned a lesson here: Take your time and focus on all the details (comfort, handling, steering/braking feel, vibrations, noises, etc). A test drive is not a joy ride. You are doing the review here - be objective. When you find something questionable during the test drive, ask yourself if it is a deal breaker or you can get accustomed to it. Be answer that with your reasoning and not your heart. Just my 2-cents here.

By ryster
on 06/22/13 04:32 AM (PDT)

42,400 miles on my 2.4L GDI 2011 Sonata. No shaking or vibration from the engine. I have a lot of interior rattles, but no strange engine noises or vibrations.