Used 2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Nice Car, but Bad in the Snow
By mccarthr

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car, but Hyundai seems to have chosen wheels and tires that were not designed for winter driving. I bought the car in Green Bay late in May 2013. I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. When I first started driving in the snow, I couldn't believe how poor the tire traction was. I was so bad that I didn't feel safe. After buying new all season tires (rated good on snow & ice) for the fronts, I could tell a big difference. The back original tires still would slide out on turns so I bought the rears too. Also, the wheels are beautiful, but they suck up snow like a magnet on the inside. It quickly will throw off the wheel balance. I constantly having to clean out the snow.

Favorite Features

Performance is excellent....lots of power. I never used paddle shifters before, but they are very handy for down shifting. I like that you can use the regular shifter too for that. I wish the seats were more comfortable (more cushioning), however the adjustable driver seat is nice. I'm surprised the front passenger seat wasn't powered......what's with that? Handling is pretty good, but you do feel that torque when it kicks in. Fun to drive and I really like the panoramic roof.

Suggested Improvements

Find a cool designed wheel that doesn't suck up that snow. More room around the wheels too, snow packs up in there real quick. Put all season tires that are rated good on snow & ice. Put more cushioning on the front seats and power adjust the front passenger seat. My only quality control issue was with the head unit. The clock changes time zones when it's not suppose to. The GPS setting for the clock doesn't correct it. I've got to get that in and replaced. Reseting the head unit didn't help.

I am not satisfied overall
By bsonata13

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle 16 months ago. The main reason to buy this vehicle is for better MPG. However, it is pretty disappointing to see low MPG (I get 22/28) average of 24 or less. They reported 24/35, and average is 28 MPG. Issues: I had to replace the blue tooth and speaker system twice and speakers are noisy, however it is covered under warranty. I have changed 4 tires already. They wore out fast and not sure why. MPG is biggest concern - I have asked for mileage inspection test twice, both the dealers gave wrong numbers, however, I am not sure how to prove them wrong. Overall it is not comfortable to drive Customer service - average Financial services - More than worst.

Favorite Features

Exterior look

Suggested Improvements

Build Quality Customer service both Hyundai and Hyundai financials Dealers - When you for service, they always come up with recommendations that are not needed and they charge hell lot of money for anything and everything. Do not list wrong MPG - 24/35 MPG is not correct all vehicles. Tire quality or look at the assembly on why the tires wearing fast?

Best Value for a Mid-sized Sedan
By turbo2013_56

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Only had it 5 months but so far it has been nearly perfect. Limited visibility out the back and some road noise (not all of it bad, nice little engine hum); lower gas mileage but have taken no long trips and my commute is a nightmare so maybe MPGs are OK. Got Limited turbo with premium package and cannot imagine getting a finer car for the money I paid. Rides well; handles great; very fast and responsive, I love this car.

Favorite Features

Blue Link not perfect but very good. Website kinda lame; Nav system is flawless; The scoop on the Infinity sound system is that it is excellent but you would have to tweak the EQ for Sirius to get deep bass; If you stream (bluetooth) music off of your phone, use the USB port, or mp3 CD and you use a high bit rate (256) or purchase music off of Amazon (high VBR around 250), no tweaking necessary, the sound is rich, deep, and clear and you can blow yourself out of the seat with it. I am over 50 and big music person and there is NO valid complaint about the sound system. Voice command works well, a little slow, but I can perform any function faster by just reaching for the control myself...

Suggested Improvements

None, I wouldn't lose that fluidic styling just for slightly better rear view. Keyless entry perfect; Heated leather front and rear seats awesome; Not as linear and refined as a strong V6 but that has grown on me, and that low end torque while zipping through crazy congested commuter traffic helps me to destroy the competition (while driving safely and legally of course). Last comment, Hyundai of Bowie best dealership ever. I have never been treated so well and haggled so little to buy a car in my life. They really do want to improve the industry!!!

Hyundai Warranty
By mmm22

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This warranty is a joke. It is not more than a selling tool. The quality of the car is poor. I spent more money repairing Sonata 2009, V6 than at Honda 2002. At 64000 miles the alternator had to be replaced as result if front valve oil leak. Contacted Hyundai who refused to pay for the cost of the repair. Trust me do not buy Hyundai made cars. The warranty is useless. Quality of the car is not good, oil leakage seems to be a problem with the Sonatas.

Favorite Features

Cost and warranty but both are a joke.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality of the cars

A lemon underneath a very nice looking exterior
By judgemalloy

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2013 Sonata is a very nice looking car. I traded in a 2010 Elantra for the Sonata. The Elantra is a much better car than the Sonata. The Sonata has a very rough ride, especially at highway speeds. I expect this to lead to abnormal tire wear. The GPS/Radio/Bluetooth/AC combination is poorly designed and difficult to use. The combination design gives you control over one function at a time. For example, when the navigator is active and you receive a call, the navigator goes to the background. If you are on the call when you need to make a turn, you will miss it. The voice recognition feature is absolutely horrible. I have gone to using an external GPS and avoid using the built-in

Favorite Features

Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Completely redesign the interior of the car for function and comfort. Fix the design problem with the suspension that causes the rough ride and premature tire wear.