2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Best car I bought so far.
By driverx4life on 07/15/13 20:03 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Hyundai Sonata is exactly what I found for the price I paid. It has an amazing, engine and great power. Its spacious and reliable. I don't know what others people are writing about the bad mpg. When I drive, I get 26 city and 33 on highway. It gives me more mpg than my wife's Camry. But this all depends on how you maintain the car and how you drive it. If you go crazy on the gas pedal and don't do schedule maintenance, of course you are going to eat more gas and get bad mpg. People need to go easy, a Sonata is not a sports car. Overall, the Sonata is a great car that offers more for the money than its competitors. For my next car, I will definitely buy another Hyundai.

steering problem!
By ni55 on 06/30/13 08:02 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

when I first got the car I loved it. that was before I went on the highway. on the highway the car is dangerous!! not safe! steering is very sensitive and it is hard to keep the car in the lane. bad design and i'm very surprised that no one crushed this car on the highway yes and there is not a recall. after I discover the problem I called the sales person and she told me that it is normal, bc of the electric steering power...what kind of nonsenses is this? I drove Hondas for the last 15 years but fell in love with this car on the test drive and the price was great. so for now I will say. great city car and that's it!!

2013 Sonata Bluetooth System
By lcolby on 06/19/13 09:06 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

do not purchase this vehicle if you want a good working bluetooth system. Upon our third complaint I receive a letter from Hyundai saying, "it is considered normal operation for the incoming call volume to be quieter than the audio level setting and to adjust the volume on certain calls". That nice, except you cannot hear the incoming call. two other comments off their letter: We are sometimes unable to produce an automobile with the features and materials that will satisfy or appeal to all of our customers. If you prefer, you are more than welcome to contact the Highway Safety Association and report the concern to the Consumer Protection Agency.

Terrible gas mileage
By herbthau on 05/11/13 11:49 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is our third Hyundai Sonata. It gets just terrible gas mileage. The two previous Sonatas got much better mileage. Went back to dealer and got this answer from the technician. There were no codes showing a problem and 19.9 city and 27 highway is acceptable. Called Hyundai and got nowhere. This is not acceptable. This is my last Sonata. Herb

One terrific car
By peter95949 on 04/20/13 16:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is one great car. Hyundai has gotten everything right. I have owned 28 cars in my life including Mercedes (awful), Audi, Lincoln, Avalon, etc., and this Sonata does not disappoint. This my second Sonata.....the first being a 2011. The most noticeable improvement is the increased level of quietness. The 2011 had an unacceptable level of tire noise intruding into the cabin on coarse roads. The 2014 is almost silent on most city streets and measurably quieter at speed. Wind noise is non existent.

More then you expect and pay for.
By victory11 on 03/28/13 23:07 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Owned gls with pop package for six months now. Fantastic car in this segment. Perfect performance everytime. Remote start installed and have had 0 problems. No adjustments, no glitches. Tire noise on rough roads gets a bit noisy, but mainly due to low resistance tires enhancing road noise. Smooth road....like butta! Suspension smooth and controlled, but not floaty. No rattles, squeeks, noises..(except loose objects in top of console will rattle.). Placed liner in and rattling stopped. Many dress up options on ebay, including chrome wheel skins for only 69.00 set of four. Car looks expensive, but doesn't give buyers remorse. Tons of room, seats comfortable. MPG 23/35 avg with eco.

Great Car! Great Price!
By tuscarorausa on 02/14/13 15:21 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a new 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4L 4-cyl, 6-speed Automatic. Got black exterior with chrome accents. Under $22,000 delivered with Hyundaiís Presidentís Day incentives (which was about $6,000 off MSRP). Need to drive from around Gettysburg, PA to Virginia twice a week for work. Need a car that is good on the Interstate, stop & go traffic, and curved roads along the Potomac River. The Sonata has more precise steering and more power than my 2007 Camry LE. The 2007Camry has more of a luxury ride. Both average 30 mpg. 2013 Camry doesn't have luxury feel like my 2007. 2013 Altima has quality problems. 2013 Ford Fusion needs 305 hp Mustang V6 and better discounts. Sonata wins!

Steering Problems! Think before you buy.
By acrossley on 02/04/13 14:04 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, this car is not worth buying. Plagued with rattles and wind noise right off the lot, and more importantly, the steering. The Sonata's steering is entirely too sensitive and requires constant correction on the highway. Don't let the dealer tell you it's because it has electric power steering, this is not why something is wrong with the steering. Go drive another car with electric power steering and you will find it to be worlds more comfortable to control than the Sonata. My arm is literally tired from keeping it in a straight line. If you go on a test drive, try staying in the middle of your lane; it is impossible. This steering problem is a safety issue.

Beware!
By cjohnsen on 01/24/13 13:35 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 13' sonata based off the great reviews people have been leaving. It has a great design and a good price compared to competitors. However, after 3 months of ownership less then 3500 miles my car has broken down 3 times now. The first time I went to go start my car and it wouldn't start. For 3 hours myself and others tried restarting the car but it never started. Finally a tow truck came and towed to dealer. Dealer told me that night they couldn't duplicate the problem. So basically oh well take your car home, it's fine now. I'm sure he car magically fixed itself, right? Wrong! Died again 2 days later. After being there 2 weeks it comes home. Now a week later my ac isn't working!

New owner impressions - to be updated later
By wrigh003 on 01/02/13 14:46 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought my í13 Sonata SE on 12/31/12, and so far Iím in love. The gas mileage calculator is ticking up steadily as I get past the initial leadfoot (itís plenty fast, even without the turboÖ) test drive miles, so Iím curious to see where it levels out. I hear that it takes up to several thousand miles worth of driving before the mileage really gets where itís supposed to be, I will likely update this in a few months with that knowledge, as well as doing manual calculations when I go to the gas pump. I commute back and forth a total of 80 miles a day, 99% in highway traffic; even with the SE suspension and the low profile 18Ē tires, the ride is pleasantly firm rather than harsh- even over expansion joints and through construction zones along the interstate. Itís likely that a GLS or Limited would ride softer, with the slightly different suspension and taller-sidewall tires, so if cloudlike ride quality is a concern, consider that. For my money, I prefer the SE. Radio display could maybe be a little better. Iím still not 101% used to how itís all laid out, though, so my opinion here may change. Blue backlighting is nice, auto-adjusting to ambient light conditions as the automatic headlights go on and off I could take or leave, I think. I will be digging into the manual to see if that is a setting I can adjust. That said, my phone paired to the stereo in about 10 seconds and calls through the mic/speakers in the car are easy to hear and easy to be heard, which is a good thing. Stereo on my particular SE sounds good and although it doesnít seem to really crank (I think I have the 104 watt base stereo), thatís OK, the car is quiet enough at highway speed that it doesnít have to. Need to read the directions and get all my stuff figured out and set up there, find some XM stations I like, etc. Iíll wait a while before I tear into the radio like I tend to do in most of my vehicles- but again, itís 100% serviceable as is, and with plenty of connectivity (Bluetooth, aux input jack, etc) besides. My particular vehicle also has the BluLink connection Ė to be honest, beyond ďHyundai-brand OnStar,Ē I donít even really know what this is or how Iíd use it- another thing to look in the manual for. Nice touch if youíre looking for it and/or had something like it on a previous vehicle. The driverís seat is comfortable and easy to adjust, and the cloth material on the center section of the seat has kept me in place well, no sliding around like a full leather seat can sometimes cause. Heated seats are a nice thing Ė never would have picked that as an option living in AL like I do, but my wife loves them and during our brief winter Iím sure Iíll love them too. Used them this morning. Also worth noting is that Hyundai is smart- lots of people with Sonatas are going to have a kid or two (three in my case) in back, at least occasionally. The back side of the driver and passenger seats (at least in the SE) appear to be leather/leatherette Ė that way you can wipe off the marks from dirty shoes, etc., if any happen to get put there. Cloth might have been cheaper to install, but that one little touch will cause the car to look nicer, longer. Same story on the armrest areas on the doors and the armrest on the console Ė all appear to be covered in material that will wear well, which is a good sign in my book. While Iím on the interior, Iíll note here that Iím 6í2Ē and generally automatically move any seat, in any car, all the way to the back. My new Sonata is the first car I can ever remember not needing to do that in. Front legroom is excellent, and even more to the point, so is REAR legroom, even when I have the seat where Iíll need it. If things go according to plan, by the time I get rid of this car, those little boys wonít be little any more, so this was important to me. As a lifelong manual transmission prefer-er, my left foot keeps looking for something to do, but I am enjoying the paddle shifters just as well as manually rowing the gears- and Iíll admit that itíll be nice to be able to let the car do the shifting whenever I happen to get stuck in the occasional traffic jam. One of my reasons for preferring a manual transmission is the simplicity argument- itís one less thing to break years down the road. Hereís hoping I never have to use it, but the long powertrain warranty Hyundai offers was one of the reasons I was able to get my own head around buying an automatic- the paddle shift ability is just a bonus for me. The trunk is utterly cavernous. I donít golf and donít really know anyone who does, so I wonít use the usual ďholds _ golf bags!Ē metric, but those three boys I mentioned earlier like to eat. Groceries for our family are sometimes a two-cart affair coming out of the store. The old Montero Sport we had before had plenty of space for anything we wanted to put in it, but Iíd be amazed if this car had any less- comparing the space below the back of the rear seats in the Mitsu vs. the trunk in the Sonata, just from looking at it, Iíd say the Sonata probably actually has more space. I wonít be throwing any sheets of plywood in here (I have an old pickup for thatÖ), but I donít think Iíll ever wish for a bigger trunk for anything one could reasonably expect to transport by car. These are my initial impressions on a car Iíve had only a couple days, but I shopped casually for a long time (18 months?) while squeezing the last utility out of our old SUV, and I drove the Sonata back to back with an Accord and a Camry. The Hyundai was every inch the car as both of those, and better in most cases. Hyundai is for real. If youíre like me and remember with amused horror the Excel and other terrible mid-90s Hyundaiís, do yourself and your wallet a favor and drive a new one. I think youíll come away pleasantly surprised. Leveraging last-day-of-year and having Edmunds.com TMV looked up on my phone, I was able to confidently negotiate a great price for a great car that should serve my family for years.