Used 2013 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Worst car I ever owned!
By retwmt

2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned many cars and this one by far is the worst. Its bad on gas, burns oil and the steering is seriously messed up. I keep hearing how this manufacturer has come a long way, which makes me question how thats being measured. I Returned the first week of owning it. If you never driven any other car in the past 20 years this might be the car for you.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

Not good on gas
By yhterodriguez

2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The car is great . I rented an older Sonata and feel in love and decided to purchase my own. I live in NYC, which means if deals with heavy traffic. I average about 23mpg. I am really disappointed with that. Might as well get an SUV, with more space and use up the same amount of gas.

Warning - Burns oil. Destroyed engine.
By brigitbardot

2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Sonota to replace another. It had regular 3000 mile oil changes. I bought it to NTB for the last one in June of 2014.The sticker said to get oil changed at 58,000 He said it would be fine at 62000.No problems. I heard some knocking at 63000 so I had it towed in, I have a warrahty so I did not want to risk it, No oil light . No burning, No indication of oil issue, I thought it was a belt. I take i They told me it had burned through almost 4 quarts of oil and it killed the engine. Mild weather Light driving, Reasonable oil changes a little past oil change date and this? The extended $1000 warranty won't cover it . They want $5000 to put new engine. Beware

Favorite Features

I used to love the Sonota. Drivability, sound syatem, blu tooth phone features and the first rate salespeople. Now I have a car with no engine because it burns through oil like an old Dodge Dart I had in high school. I change my oil. I takee good care of my carand undrstand the importance of fliuid level checks.There is something wrong with he car which causes it to burn oil when the car is relativeky new. No oil light goes off. The oil is relatively clean. There is no notable burnng smell. I admit I went over the recommended oil change date but I feel this should not have happened .

Suggested Improvements

I've read in other reviews that they have had the same oil consumption proble,s. I imagine the attorney general will be collecting this informaytion and force Hyundais hand with respect to identifying the oil consumption problem. Pleas write your attorney general and they will help you. It only takes 10 minutes. Theres an excellent chance you will be get compensated for any reapir costs you paid becauseof this.I would love it if Hyundai would step up. Got a family and no car. I've got to pay for this issue till they take responsibilty

2013 Sonata burning oil
By laurafowler14

2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I loved my 2002 Elantra. I needed a larger vehicle so I bought a brand new 2013 Sonata. My Sonata started burning oil around 36,500 miles. I have been going back a fourth to the dealership doing oil consumption tests. After 3 tests, it has burned up 4.5 quarts in about 2,000 miles. I still can't get anyone to fix the problem. Instead, the dealership says I need to do 1,000 more miles of oil consumption tests and corporate says I need to do 3,000 more miles of oil consumption tests. The warranty sounds great but good luck with getting them to fix anything that is covered.

Favorite Features

I like that power windows and door locks are standard instead of an extra cost.

Suggested Improvements

If there is a major problem with a car and that problem has been documented, fix it. Don't give customers the run around.

great value and great mpg
By young46

2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i am getting about 500 miles from a full tank of gas(18gal) and averaging 28-29mpg. i commute in NYC and always caught in heavy traffic. if i am on the highway without traffic i am getting 35 to 40 mpg. i dont understand some ppl here getting 23 at best. i already put 35,000 and so far so good.

Favorite Features

good mpg, good acceleration, plenty of room

Suggested Improvements

too many blind sights