Waited to review 'til I'd driven a whole year...
By follathadolla on
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)
The Sonata is a VERY cool ride. I stumbled upon a red 2011 SE Sedan in May, 2010... only to find out shortly after that the Turbo model was available. I wanted it immediately. The first time I saw one, I test-drove it and knew it was 'love'... but didn't buy because I wanted it (again!) in red. Didn't want a dealer to find one, order one, etc.; I resigned to keep my original purchase. But, in November, 2011, during a routine maintenance visit, it just so happened that a 2012 red Turbo was on the sales floor. Bought it the same visit... no test drive, even. Have never looked back (pun intended!) and still love it! Sporty clean lines, liquid handling, and the torque is just plain fun!!!
Favorite Features
Well, first, let me qualify my comments... I drive it like it's built to be driven. The direct inject + turbo make for a high-performance feel... and I didn't have to give a fortune for it. It automatically shifts seamlessly, but is more than happy to oblige me as I use the paddle shifters whenever I need a little extra 'scat'. (I down-shift, too, though...) The 2012 Turbo also came with features that have exceeded my expectations. The stereo system is as good as any I've heard; the interior is comfortable and appeals to the eye; navigation system, blue tooth, radio, etc., are all easy to use; and I'm getting great gas mileage, even though I quite often 'put my foot in it'! Great car!
Suggested Improvements
I have had a couple of incidents with an airbag module 'glitching out' my computer... giving me no gears (and being a big ole frustration)! The problem was solved the 2nd time, though (so far, so good...), when I was able to have it towed to the dealership while idling so that they could check it 'mid-glitch'. There was also a problem with an exhaust sensor that affected the acceleration, but it, too, was repaired... great warranty, Hyundai! Overall, I feel if I've bought a totally new-to-the-market product, then I can accept having the (occasional) problems that come with that. Actually, I kind of enjoy being in the 'control group'... I can say I lived it!