Huge dissapointment!
By awasllace on
2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
There are much more negative than postitive in my 1.5 years of Sonata ownership. First is the fuel economy, nowhere even close to Hyundai's estimates. Now after getting over that the problems began. It had a poor running and stalling out problem several times the dealer can't duplicate, the front headlights have collected condensation and I'm on my second set. The leather quality is horrible, stiching on the bolsters is coming apart already (hyundai calls it normal wear) It wanders on the highway. I've had the struts, tires, wheel bearings, and control arm bushings replaced...still wanders! The car has just been such a huge dissapointment, it feels like a 5 yr old car already.
Favorite Features
I really like the styling, the feature content is well above the competition for the price. The price and what Hyundai says anout the performance/economy is attractive.
Suggested Improvements
None- I will never ever buy another Hyundai so I really don't care! Lousy car, dealers, and false claims are enough for this consumer!
By redgeminipa
on 03/02/14 06:26 AM (PST)

There seems to be a solution to the steering "wandering" issues. I found this topic on a forum, as I'm about to purchase a 2012 Sonata SE. It appears to be solved by having the dealer change the EPS software from the default. Check over this thread for some great input from others who had theirs changed. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/163171-2013-sonata-steering-problem-solved.html

By sonata20t
on 04/22/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

I agree about the steering. But that is what you get with electric steering. It was a known issue before you bought the car. It was not a defect. My suggestion would be to keep your hands on the steering wheel. It does require a bit more attention. I also own a BMW 740 and it does not stray at all. In the Sonata, you cannot steer with your knee or do other things that takes you away from looking where you are going because it will go right off the road. Poor running and stalling is a symptom of bad gad. The quality of the gas you put in affects this car. I know about the stalling as well. But it is not a race car and if you put regular cheap gas in it and try to run it hard, you will clog up the injectors. Advice: Don't drive it like it is a race car...unless you are willing to put in premium gas and premium oil. The struts and suspension will not hold up will if you bang it up. It was built more for precision. My BMW mechanic recommends the 2.0T Sonata based on the engine and how long these engines have lasted. So ease back on the throttle in the corners and enjoy the short trips. The car will go 140+mph and take your breath away.