No Such Thing As A Perfect Vehicle, But ...
By jewopaho on
2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
... this one really comes close. My preference is mid-sized cars with high-end trim levels ... Camry XLE, Accord EX-L, etc. This is my first Sonata Limited, but not my last. It compares very favorably with its Nissan, Toyota and Honda counterparts ... they're all great vehicles, and given that I don't buy new cars, availability is limited. This one is exactly what I'd have purchased new ... and with only 11k miles (and at $10k less), it's close enough! The ride is smooth, power (both cruising and takeoff) is more than adequate, gas mileage (overall about 26 mpg) is fine, and the creature comforts far exceed the competition. Hyundai is now a major player in the mid-size market!
Favorite Features
The combination navigation/backup camera/Infinity sound system is incredible. Those yellow guide lines actually curve as the car is steered in reverse. The 8-speaker system with sub-woofer and Bluetooth is close to concert level. Add heated seats (front and rear), panoramic sunroof, and a dozen other creature comforts (not to mention outstanding performance both on local roads and highway), plus a price point that makes the competition appear even more expensive ... this one's a keeper!
Suggested Improvements
As I noted, no vehicle is perfect. The front passenger seat is really low, and the height is not adjustable. Hyundai states that it's for safety reasons in the event of airbag deployment (it's why it rates five stars), but there has to be another way. We solved the immediate problem with a $19 cushion from Costco, but it's something that needs attention from the engineers. The sloping design does detract a bit from rear passenger entry comfort, and headroom is slightly reduced ... but unless you're 7' tall, it shouldn't be a major issue. High-speed road noise could be a little quieter ... but I just turn up the great sound system a notch and it's all good.