2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Review: LOVE THE BANG-FOR-BUCK

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

LOVE THE BANG-FOR-BUCK
By scott0814 on

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded-in an '09 Malibu for my first non-GM car. The 4cyl Malibu produced 169hp with an EPA 29 hwy, which was exactly what I got (without a good tailwind). I looked at the V-6 Malibu (base $28k, 252hp, 26 mpg hwy). Then I discovered the Sonata. I was out the door with a 2.0T SE with 274hp/269 lb-ft torque and an EPA 34hwy for under $26k. After 4000 miles with the Sonata, I am extremely satisfied. CONTRARY TO OTHER REVIEWS, the 34 mpg hwy is very realistic if you can control your right foot. The turbo engages just above 2000 rpm and it will drink gas (but it's fun!). I have never driven a car with a better combination of performance and economy for less than $26,000.

1) Blue tooth standard on all models. 2) Verses Malibu LT, the seats, steering wheel, and instrument cluster look and feel superior. 3) turbo, turbo, and turbo (274hp and 34mpg hwy).

Offer a true manual 6-speed with the turbo (available in base model only). The "shiftronic" sport shifter just doesn't give the same satisfaction as the old "clutch and shift".
By jheaslet
on 03/07/12 12:29 PM (PST)

Hi, I also have an '09 Malibu LT which has had some quality issues so we're considering trading it in before something falls off... Did you have any issues with yours? Our tranny hesitates for 3-4 secs at times, cargo net holder comes right off, tail light housing comes loose due to cheap plastic screws, battery cable caught on fire. So far these have been my "only" issues. So we considering the Sonata, I would love the turbo, but someone else may not be into the extra $. How does it compare to the Malibu in terms of its ride and build quality? I love the ride on the Malibu, just sad about the extra cheap plastics that keep coming off the damn car! We'll be looking at both the Optima and Sonata. Thanks for your input.