Disappointed owner
By uncle_bob13 on
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Sonata drives OK but the interior looks and feels cheap. My major problem with Hyundai is its customer service. 3 days ago I decided to go shopping. I left my car in the parking lot. When I returned, I found a major fracture in the windshield (20 "). I drove to Hyundai dealer. Their service guy looked at it, couldn't find any chips, so he took a pencil and traced the fracture and concluded that it was caused by a stone hitting the windshield. I told him that it happened in the parking lot but he wouldn't believe me. Right, I'm trying to rip Hyundai off for $200. They don't have any trust in their customer. So much for Hyundai for me. As soon as I pay it off, I'll trade it in for a Camry.
Suggested Improvements
A major overhaul of customer service.
By dtimmons
on 07/06/12 07:24 AM (PDT)

Did anyone talk to a mechanic before purchasing? I have, and he told me that the Hyundais have a timing belt as opposed to a timing chain and that the Mfr recommends that they be replaced every 60,000 miles and that costs around $500 each time. He showed me a belt and the teeth and the teeth eventually break/wear out and if it breaks, the engine could be damaged to the point of needing replaced. So, anyone hear anything similar?

By fl_lead_foot
on 08/21/12 19:57 PM (PDT)

Glass cracking as a defect in manufacturing is RARE and Hyundai doesn't manufacture their own glass. Your AUTO policy SHOULD cover the windshield! BTW, windshield glass is MORE than $200! By a Camry with the engine sludge problem, sounds like you'd be happier!

By fl_lead_foot
on 08/21/12 20:02 PM (PDT)

Cheap interior, did you drive the care BEFORE you bought it, AND YOU STILL BOUGHT IT? caveat emptor, you got what you saw!

By fl_lead_foot
on 08/21/12 20:00 PM (PDT)

Timing belts on OHC engines are MORE common than chains. One of the first MOST POPULAR OHC 16V engines was the VW, I had TWO ('84 & '88) and they used a belt! I even had on break! Get over it!

By redgeminipa
on 03/02/14 06:47 AM (PST)

I just checked Hyundai's site for maintenance on the 2.4 and 2.0T at 60k and 100k miles. Neither mention anything about a timing belt. It appears they're both chains. The 2.7L V6 (2004 era) is definitely a timing belt that should be replaced around 60k miles. The 2006+ 3.3L V6 appear to have a timing chain, as no maintenance is mentioned. None of the 4-cylinder engines from Hyundai have a timing belt that I'm aware of.