Death Trap
By jblasiclith on
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I leased 2 weeks ago a brand new 2012 Sonata. It has a swerving problem. The car is all over the road. I am scared to drive it. Of course it has been back into the dealership 2 times and they are telling me nothing is wrong. Hyundai refuses to admit they have another steering problem. They will not take back the car. I am afraid for my life, and they won't do the right thing. DO NOT buy this car or anything by Hyundai as they won't help you even when their cars have know DEFECTS. Rating--0
Suggested Improvements
FIX YOU DEFECTS
By stekicar
on 05/18/12 20:43 PM (PDT)

2011 models are very well known about pulling to the left. I have 2012 and no problems what so ever. Although, I took it for a drive before I bought it just to confirm that there is no pulling present. Do not give up. Go to the dealership and ask for Hyundai engineer to come and see the car. Also, call Hyundai and tell them about your problem. Bear in mind that this vehicle has motor as a servo for the steering wheel. This gives a feeling on a steering wheel that it is too easy to turn the car left or right and never be able to go straight. I just drove mine tonight, and what I do not like is that too soft feeling on a steering wheel, like you cannot feel where wheels are and you think car will slide aside. So if your car does not pull left or right, and it "only" swerves, that is maybe just a feeling and not used to too soft steering wheel.

By fl_lead_foot
on 08/21/12 20:10 PM (PDT)

Did you TEST DRIVE the car, and didn't you pay attention to the way it drives? And YOU leased the car?

By dave436
on 06/18/12 18:20 PM (PDT)

I have the same model (2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A). and the same problem and the same response. I regret I didn't buy acura only because of $3000 cheap. Everybody Drive carefully.. till payoff.

By wiseoldfart
on 06/04/12 12:31 PM (PDT)

Motor Trend didn't like the Sonata's steering during their test that included the new Camry and Passat models. They also got lousy gas mileage. Glad I went for the Camry. No way I'd have gotten a VW even though they liked the Passat more than the Camry. VW's have had lousy reliability for decades. That's not likely to change.

By shop74
on 07/05/12 10:35 AM (PDT)

I don't have any problems of this sort from 2012 GLS... Maybe has to do with your steel wheels? I have the alloy and they are a much much smoother ride and no sound. I got the loaner with the steel wheels and it was like a completely different car in make and model...

By redgeminipa
on 03/02/14 06:53 AM (PST)

There seems to be a solution to the steering "wandering" issues. I found this topic on a forum, as I'm about to purchase a 2012 Sonata SE. It appears to be solved by having the dealer change the EPS software from the default. Check over this thread for some great input from others who had theirs changed. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/163171-2013-sonata-steering-problem-solved.html