Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Problems with no help from dealer or the manufacturer
By emlod

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car pulls to the left. The rear brakes went at18,000 miles. They blamed me for not having the sliders lubricated but I too the cAR FOR SERVICE TO THE DEALER SINCE i BOUGHT. wHY DID'NT THEY TELL ME. THEY DIDN'T. A CALL TO HYUNDAI MOTORS RESOLVED NOTHING.

I DON'T ENJOY THE CAR.

When you trade it in you will get nothing compared to Honda and Toyota.

Some dealers are selling
for $3,500 above sticker price. There is no reason for this. Don't pay it. Go on the internet and find a price there, but I would not recommend this car. Honda, Toyota and Nissan mask much better cars and have better service and trade in.

Why by a sonata?

The turbo gives a decent boost/

Fisx the pull to the left. Fix the stalling problem. Honor the warranty. It is basically useless. Dealer service is very poor.

Ooops ...
By stekicar

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This model of Sonata is miserable failure. I do not know from where to start. Before I purchased it, I drove it three times just to make sure it does not have that pull to the left issue. Unfortunately, after 10k miles I have front tires uneven wear. Dealer states that nothing is wrong with tires although even 1st grader would see difference between even and uneven tire wear. Contacted Hyundai and they refused any responsibility. Rest assured - they will make sure you don't get solution to tire (?) problem. I did not notice it before but steering wheel is not placed centered to the driver's seat. It is at about 1 inch offset to the left. Radiator leaked at 10k miles. Fixed under warranty.

None.

Fix the pulling, tire wear, alignment issues. You are destroying good reputation of this car. As far as I am concerned, you can easily close the door for good. After 4 Hyundai cars I had, I am done with Hyundai. After all, new thinking, new possibilities ... Honda anyone?

Great Car for the Money
By bobs66440

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have about 8500 miles on my Sonata and I am very happy with it so far. My previous car was a 2007 Infiniti G35X Sedan, so I was expecting a somewhat mundane driving experience, but happily, I was wrong. It's definitely no Infiniti, but a great car nonetheless.

The fuel mileage is as advertised. It runs great and has an amazing amount of power for a four cylinder. It has a very comfortable interior/driving position for me and I am very fussy about that.

I especially like the light steering, bluetooth, Homelink, satellite radio, comfy seats and the intuitive and easy to understand controls.

It is simply a lot of car for a relatively small price.

I like the light steering, bluetooth, Homelink, satellite radio, comfy seats and the intuitive and easy to understand controls. Interior styling is very nice for a low priced sedan. Exterior styling is very nice and stands out from the crowd. Lifetime drive train warranty acquired through the dealer. Excellent brakes. Love the auto-dimming rear view mirror.

Headlight high beams are terrible. Very dim. Definitely not up to expectations for a modern car. The high beams on my 1966 Dodge Charger are way brighter. I think that the new stylish headlights on many brands look cool, but don't work nearly as well as the old style sealed beams. The console radio display has a blue background with graphics that don't contrast well and is very hard to read. Arm rests are very hard and uncomfortable. Some interior materials feel very cheap. Volume and up/down select controls on the steering wheel are awkward to use. The phone controls on the steering wheel sometimes don't respond to input. Car direction is very sensitive to windy conditions.

Looks great, but...
By themightyinf

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bold lines.
Great styling. This car will catch your eye, and hold it. Great value, and a great size. But all is not how its seems.
Listed as a full size sedan, however... its not. Seems better suited as a mid-size.
The 2.4 l four cylinder is great for saving gas, but forgets that its supposed to make the car move at times.
Its got a better rear end than a Mustang GT... more modern anyway.
But warning... the ride is rough as an old woodie rollercoaster!
How nice would this be if the rear wheels pushed instead of dragged the car down!
Still, this car is better than what you will find in most places (cough cough, chevy cruze, cough cough)...

The simple to use gear shift in tiptronic mode is not too shabby. The Bluetooth voice control is a great unexspected find in a car that is cheaper than dirt. The trunk is large and will swallow up anything you throw at it, and look... a full sized spare! Space space and more space, this will hold four on a long road trip without people screaming that they dont have space... Add a third person in the middle of the back seat and things become... interesting(cramped). This thing looks great, a huge improvement from the cheap budget shoe cars of the 80's and 90's. A Lexus symbol would look right at home on the hood, until...

You give it the beans, and it kinda just looks at you like a confused dog... "you wanna go fast?!?! Im built to save gas, not burn it!" The ride will tenderize you, every bump in the road will be absorbed with your spine and butt. The brakes are just ok... and for whatever reason the car will pull to the left... or right. I want to love this car. I really do, but its like the super model, complete with duck lips... all style, but not really deep. I just like this car, not love. Just a little bit more power please!!!

Not happy
By tuna6

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 sonata SE new in January 2012.
About 2 weeks ago my car stopped working properly and they initially thought it was the push start ignition.
Replaced the push start and the problem still persisted.
They then removed the oil pan to discover pieces of metal in the oil.
Long story short the engine needs to be replaced and the car has 16,500 miles on it.
I am not happy with the overall experience and being without a car that I need for my daily commute.
No car should have to have the engine replaced after being driven for only 7 months.