2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Gearshift
By karenbel on 08/28/11 07:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had my 2012 Sonata GLS for 4 days when I suddenly could not move the gearshift. I was parked at a restaurant, went to leave, and could not put the car into gear. It started up ok, but all the dashboard lights came on and stayed on indicating I had problems that I didn't have, like the emergency brake was on when it wasn't. Long story short, I had to be towed back to the dealer. It's Sunday, so I have to wait for an answer, but I am terribly disappointed. Reliability is the most important feature for me when it comes to owning a car. Hyundai needs to exchange cars and give me another one. The car has 204 miles on it!!!

Amazing!!!
By elifant71 on 08/05/11 07:25 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love my new car. The ride is excellent, the gas mileage so far has been outstanding, and its been a long time since I have gotten into a vehicle and actually been comfortable. This car is and has out surpassed my expectations and desires. I can't wait to take a road trip and really get to enjoy the open road again!

Needed Good Gas Mileage, But Not Small
By joval on 07/24/11 16:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We live in the Fla. country, almost an hour to go to a city, and take a 340 mile trip every month. We needed good gas mileage but needed a car that was roomy inside, had folding 60/40 back seats to a large trunk . We also wanted to spend the least amount of money and still have a reliable car. The Sonata won out on all counts. Roomy car inside, especially with the camel interior to brighten it up, is quiet, handles very well, and has good acceleration to pass on two-lane highways. We now have 1021 miles on it. At steady flat 60 mph we got 42.2 mpg avg, at 75 mph, 35.5 mpg avg, and at 55, 44.5 mpg avg. Measured highway and city 1st tank avg. 28.28 mpg, second tank avg. 28.69. Overall pleased.

Hyundai Sonata Offers Best Bang For the Buck
By alayman on 07/23/11 12:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've driven my 2012 Sonata for about 4 weeks, and I'm impressed. Owned a 2006 model, and this car is much improved. Hyundai has managed to create a family-friendly sedan that finally bests the Camry and Accord. As the owner of a Jetta TDI I was seriously looking at a new Passat TDI (love the TDI driving experience and mileage). Unfortunately VW was a little late to the party on delivery. The Sonata was a better value at roughly $7000 less. Value proposition is confirmed by a recent trip to the airport achieving 41 mpg on the 38 mile trip. The new engine and 6 speed transmission, while not as engaging as the 4 cylinder TDI, provide a very pleasant driving experience.

Best Car I've Owned
By sas11 on 07/21/11 11:53 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Sonata Limited is the nicest looking car on the road in my opinion. My friend called it "sexy"! Looks sporty inside and out. Handles like a dream and is fun to drive. But the best part is all the standard equipment you get for a low base price. I priced other cars and you have to pay extra for what's standard on the Sonata Limited. It is the best car I've ever owned!

Compared with the Accord, Altima, and Camry ... Sonata FINALLY on top (and my 1st new car)!
By jbrams on 07/19/11 11:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I spent 4 weeks comparing mid-sized sedans eventually resolving to buy either the 2011 Accord LX-P or the Sonata GLS (pop pack 2). I posted the comparison charts at hyundai-forums.com and driveaccord.net ... you can compare them yourself, but even the DriveAccord.net posters agreed that the Sonata was a better buy in every element except reputation. I'm VERY happy with my great looking and driving Soanta, the price thru Hyundai Circle (plan A) was excellent, and the service department is great.

Sonata SE 2012
By chise on 07/18/11 22:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Sonata model, in general, is really nice. Exterior as well as interior design are probably one of the best out there for the sedans. SE has a bit more aesthetic aspects than the GLS (chrome grills, door handles, dual exhausts, tire, etc). The comfort level of SE is sub par. Noise level during the ride is also quite annoying. These are due to the sporty suspension and less-cushion tires, but they shouldn't be the excuses for these crucial aspects of the car. If you can live up with this, it's an amazing car. If you think you and your family rather like a quieter and comfortable car, go with GLS or Limited. I thought the SE wouldn't have much of a difference, but it really does.

Turbo Hyundai
By lzabelsky on 07/11/11 16:51 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car for the money. Don't buy this as a substitute for a BMW, it is a great everday driver and a deal for the money. Great warranty, performance, comfort etc... No regret on the purchase and have had less gas station visits. The extra $1,500 for the SE 2.0T was my best decision, very fast for an inexpensive family sedan and fun drive. The SE ride is a bit rougher with the low profile tires. No complaint other than it appears the paint gets chipped easy on the front of the vehicle from road debris. Very nice family sedan, nice on long trips.

My first Hyundai
By enjnir on 07/09/11 19:19 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

All i can say is WOW. This is my first Hyundai and so far I love it. We almost bought the 2011 model but I am so glad we paid a little more for the 2012. The panoramic sunroof is worth the extra money by it's self not counting the blue link as well. Time will tell how good a car it really is but at first glance I could not be happier.

Amazing refinement in a $20 k car
By cb1955 on 07/04/11 12:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just traded in my wife's 2008 Elantra for the 2012 Sonata. We got the base GLS. The inclusion of Hyundai's Bluelink system (Hyundai's version of On-Star) was an added bonus, along with the Bluetooth, Sirius XM, etc. Added to this, is Hyundai's legendary 5/60 and 10/100 warranty, which are the best in the business. This car has it all, with a smooth ride, decent acceleration for a 4 cyl engine, and great gas mileage. I have no doubt that it will attain a 35 mpg rating when we take in on an extended trip. The cloth seats are much nicer than the previous cloth seats in other Sonatas I've driven in the past. It's no wonder that Hyundai sales are up over 16% from 2010!