2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
LOVE THE BANG-FOR-BUCK
By scott0814 on 02/12/12 11:10 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded-in an '09 Malibu for my first non-GM car. The 4cyl Malibu produced 169hp with an EPA 29 hwy, which was exactly what I got (without a good tailwind). I looked at the V-6 Malibu (base $28k, 252hp, 26 mpg hwy). Then I discovered the Sonata. I was out the door with a 2.0T SE with 274hp/269 lb-ft torque and an EPA 34hwy for under $26k. After 4000 miles with the Sonata, I am extremely satisfied. CONTRARY TO OTHER REVIEWS, the 34 mpg hwy is very realistic if you can control your right foot. The turbo engages just above 2000 rpm and it will drink gas (but it's fun!). I have never driven a car with a better combination of performance and economy for less than $26,000.

2012 Sonota 2.0 purchased on 12/31. Very poor MPG
By 123111buyer on 01/26/12 15:16 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have only been averaging about 20 mpg suburb and highway (In the epa mode which was suppose to get 6mpg better) and took car back after 2weeks. Told by service area this is normal and I need to drive about 5k before it improves. Have been in contact with H HQ serveral times and they refutes 5k claim, but also will not explain why mpg is averaging so low. Pushing it off on boilerplate responses (EPA sets mpg, load in car (Only me) tire pressure, blah blah nothing that is what I am doing. In a nut shell it not the car it is me. Also have been having bluelink issues that haven't been resolved. Again can't get a straight answer.

Fun car to drive
By duey65 on 01/19/12 15:18 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a 2012 2.0T limited after two months of reviewing and many test drives. The Sonata in my opinion is the best car in it's class for value. I love driving this car although the ride is a bit harsh. (stiff suspension and low profile tires). It's quiet and comfortable on the highway and the heated leather is nice on a cold Minnesota morning. The one thing I am concerned with is the mileage. The car has 1500 miles on it now and my mileage has been getting progressively worse. I started with 29 mpg combined and I am now down to 21mpg combined. I Drive 104 miles a day round trip to work and I have had to go back to driving my Saturn which gets 40+. Love my Sonata but can't afford the gas.

Better than the Accord
By miamitraveler on 01/17/12 20:00 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just traded my 2010 Honda Accord ELX for the 2012 Hyundia Sonata GLS. I had considered the 2010 Sonata but I found the interior too cheap looking and then purchased the 2010 Accord. Well what a difference two years make! The 2012 Sonata is a thing of beauty inside and out. The interior is nicer looking than the Camry, Altima, Audi, and BMW. While not as roomy as the Accord particularly for rear passengers, it still offers plenty of leg room. The ride is super smooth and has much better pick up than the Accord. I got all of that in a car that was thousands of dollars less than the 2012 Accord. The Accord is a good car but its looks, interior and exterior, are just plan boring.

Fantastic Car for the Money, 25k Miles going strong.
By cubish83 on 01/06/12 12:03 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this car the minute i saw a commercial for it and went to the dealer the next day. Been Happy ever since. Gas mileage in high 30s consistently on the highway, about 30 flat with mixed driving. Starts every time and has never left me stranded. I have owned 17 cars in my lifetime and this has been my favorite. Comfortable, low maintenance, not too flashy but certainly modern, plenty of toys inside to keep one entertained.

Great value
By howies on 01/03/12 07:22 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

You get a great value compared to other cars in its class (e.g. Camry, Accord). Especially since what comes standard on this car will cost you a lot more elsewhere. Reliability rating for this Sonata generation was a big plus as well. Would be nice if Hyundai cars wasn't tethered to XM radio (initial trial period) but offered a free HD radio instead. The Bluelink (like OnStar) are also subscription-happy offers that I will never take and a waste of technology on my car. Other automobile companies do the same thing so this is a general industry trend I despise.

The best value for your buck
By jay105 on 12/08/11 02:38 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am very careful when I buy a car because I tend to keep them for long time. I built a matrix to help me decide what car to buy. The objective parameters (I add one subjective at the end) where: 1.- First class gas mileage . 2.- Excellent Crash Ratings 3.- Better than average warranty 4.- First class in space 5.- Better than average 5 years cost to own ) 6.- Excellent Price. Two cars came on top Hyundai Sonata/Kia optima. Both leaded the pack in gas mileage, tops in crash ratings, but the Sonata was bigger than the rest in almost any measure,great price tons of added standard features (Bluetooth was important because recent laws) around $2000 cheaper than Equivalent Camry/Accord

LA Zoomin!
By oliman06 on 11/21/11 16:17 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming from a BMW automobile, the driving dynamics of this car simply does not compare, but as far as fit and finish, features and horsepower, this car trumps many cars in and out of its class. 274hp, sexy lines and spacious trunk. The dealership experience at Keyes Hyundai in Van Nuys, California was a sigh of relief for me... sleazy tactics but they did have an "add on" cost on top of the sticker price but I was able to get the deal I want without the headache.

Needs Improvement
By ems1 on 11/13/11 06:40 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car because I thought it was a good value for the money. There are a lot of great features even in the base model. Steering problems and poor paint along with the dealers inability to fix the problems make this car unacceptable. If you are thinking of buying one, go over everything like you would if you were buying a used car. Quality control is not where it should be. Be sure do do a long test drive and look for steering problems, especially right or left pull.

2012 Sonata 6-speed Manual
By cjithaca25 on 11/08/11 08:00 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I looked at a number of competitors to the Sonata, including the Accord, Mazda 6, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze, and even the Elantra. I kept coming back to the Sonata for its value for the money - so many standard features, roomy cabin and great gas mileage. The Bluetooth audio works great. The gas mileage has been outstanding. I got the 6-speed since I love driving stick-shift. I have been underwhelmed with its performance. Unfortunately, the stick is just not smooth, especially going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I've been driving it for several months and it just doesn't feel well-tuned. Having said that, the acceleration is great and the ride is quiet and comfortable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$141 per month*