Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Battery Problems
By slpinnv

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car is a good value over all but I've had several issues with the battery going dead. Hyundai has replaced it twice since I bought it. They do not seem to understand why its constantly going dead perhaps it Henderson Hyundai service not looking to closely. Not sure why myself but it is frustrating to go for the weekend on a trip and come home to a dead battery.
On board bluetooth sound is horrible and I quit using it all together
Bluelink needs better navigation tools. Doesn't seem to provide accurate addresses even after speaking it several times.

The interior cloth seats clean up nicely and the trunk is quite large. I thought the mileage would be better than promoted but it still is better than my Volvo got.

The bluetooth needs better transmission and sound. Fix the bluelink it is horrible compared to GPS.

Huge dissapointment!
By awasllace

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There are much more negative than postitive in my 1.5 years of Sonata ownership. First is the fuel economy, nowhere even close to Hyundai's estimates. Now after getting over that the problems began. It had a poor running and stalling out problem several times the dealer can't duplicate, the front headlights have collected condensation and I'm on my second set. The leather quality is horrible, stiching on the bolsters is coming apart already (hyundai calls it normal wear) It wanders on the highway. I've had the struts, tires, wheel bearings, and control arm bushings replaced...still wanders! The car has just been such a huge dissapointment, it feels like a 5 yr old car already.

I really like the styling, the feature content is well above the competition for the price. The price and what Hyundai says anout the performance/economy is attractive.

None- I will never ever buy another Hyundai so I really don't care! Lousy car, dealers, and false claims are enough for this consumer!

Nicest used car I've purchased..
By ciera223

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've only had my 2012 sonata for a few wks now, I purchased it used with 5k miles on it. For being used it isn't too bad, brakes are already bad, had to replace cabin air filter and the mpg they advertise is a lie, but its still better than my suv.The alternative starter in the middle console also don't work, so I'm taking it in next week for that. I also agree on Hyundai customer service, it's horrible, they don't care about their customers and they constantly lie. So with that said take your factory warranty and go elsewhere to get service done to it. Yes they will tell you you can't, but you can. I get mine serviced at A ford dealership where they listen and actually fix your car!

Moon roof,garage door openers on rear view mirror, good handling, sleek look, comfortable, awesome turning radius,

Should have a backup camera, better speakers, be able to open the trunk with the key button while car is running, oh crap bar on driver side so I can get out of car more easily, blind spot sensor, engine not so obnoxious, no funny noises when accelerating! Switch the controls on steering wheel to opposite sides- different than most cars.

Hyundai Service and Warranty
By netsab

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Please be advised that Hyundai has come a long way from the junk they originally sold. I have had problems with the window washer clogging which the dealer told me was my fault and I would have to pay $100.00 to fix it?
Secondly, my radiator blew up on my way home from work with 20000 miles on the car. I was advised by Kendall Hyundai that a rock (they think-because they were not sure where it was leaking from) flew up and damaged the radiator; therefore it was the drivers fault?
I took it to an independent certified mechanic who advised me there was NO physical damage and that the radiator was DEFECTIVE.
Instead of the dealer cost of $800 I ended up paying $475, a true travesty.

I have not had to deal with customer service much

Honor the bumper to bumper warranty and improve the customer relations department. The manufacturer says it the dealers fault and the dealer says it the manufacturers fault-how nice. This leaves the customer in the dark. The only warranty they cover is if you do not drive the vehicle.

NOT SO GREAT AFTER ALL
By mreyes6868

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wanted to buy a mid-sized sedan with good gas mileage. Considered an altima but the interior was much better on the sonata. After hearing about the 10 year 100k warranty and the 35mpg rating I had to have it. The panorama roof, 200hp, and 35mpg were the three main reasons for me buying the car. After one year and 16k miles I am very dissapointed with the quality, performance and gas mileage. The car has had several electrical bugs and the engine sounds horrible. It really doesnt seem to have the 200hp hyundai says it has. I struggle to keep my
mpg above 26 mpg going about 65-70mph on the highway with eco mode on. This car is not as good as I thoght it was. Dont fall for hyundai's mpg lies!

panorama roof

mpg, steering, quality, performance.