2012 Sonata 6-speed Manual
By cjithaca25 on
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)
I looked at a number of competitors to the Sonata, including the Accord, Mazda 6, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze, and even the Elantra. I kept coming back to the Sonata for its value for the money - so many standard features, roomy cabin and great gas mileage. The Bluetooth audio works great. The gas mileage has been outstanding. I got the 6-speed since I love driving stick-shift. I have been underwhelmed with its performance. Unfortunately, the stick is just not smooth, especially going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I've been driving it for several months and it just doesn't feel well-tuned. Having said that, the acceleration is great and the ride is quiet and comfortable.
Favorite Features
Bluetooth audio (phone and streaming from iPhone), good A/C, GREAT gas mileage, informative instrument panel.
Suggested Improvements
The 6-speed is a lot of fun to drive but it needs to be tuned better for quicker shifts. The shifter has a tendency to grab going 2nd to 3rd, despite many tweaks in technique to get it to work smoothly. I will have the dealership look at it during the first service appointment. Also, should include the lumbar support on the base model. Offer the manual on the performance models!