Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Bad Oil Pump - Very Poor Service!
By nukem90

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Per the Hyundai dealer in Dalton, GA the reason for our oil pressure light on was a bad oil pump that scored the main bearings on the crankshaft. The process to get to replacing the engine was a 2 out of 10 on the service meter! Between the dealer, Hyundai USA, and the 3rd party warranty company, Fidelity, I am extremely disappointed. The ownership level by Hyundai was very poor. They passed the process of correcting the issue to Fidelity who was a 1 out 10 on the service level! It is disappointing that a car that I like with a significant quality issue was handled the way it was. This is my first and last Hyundai. Nissan, Toyota, Honda - here I come!

Exterior Styling, ride, leg room, trunk space.

How Hyundai provides service on their vehicles with significant quality issues. Individual part quality.

“Solid mid-size contender for commuting”
By gregg2707

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you want to buy a good car for daily commuting, you can’t do much better than this Sonata. Reliable, fuel efficient and pretty cheap to operate makes this an easy choice. We bought this car new in 2012 and currently have just over 62000 miles on it. This is the base GLS with only 3 options - most if not all of the important features you need are standard. I'd recommend this Sonata to anyone needing a good, reliable, commuter car. Build quality is excellent and has been a very reliable, inexpensive car to operate. Only one warranty repair has been needed in 62000 miles and that was for a faulty cruise control switch which was repaired under warranty.

Reliability, price, fuel economy, low operating cost and features you'd pay extra for on other cars but don't have to on Hyundai.

The biggest improvement would need to be in the area of ride; it's too rough. And the seating is too hard/firm.

Engine failed 72K, no help from Hyundai
By wv_mazda

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The lower end of my 2.4 L Sonata failed at 72500 miles under normal driving conditiuons. It has had an oil change every 5000 miles. Because I am not the original owner, the warranty did not apply. The dealer was very nice and sold me a used engine at full price. Hyundai USA declined to help me in any way. No care should have this type of engine failure at this mileage unless completely neglected.

Fun car to drive, good mileage

Build a motor that can be driven 100,000 miles.

Good Experience
By billylyons99

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

60K miles in and no major problems so far with my Sonata. Overall it has been a reliable car and plenty fun to drive. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. The only items I have had to replace are the pads and rotors (at 60k), everything else is doing just fine.

Reliability, performance.

EPA MPG and car computer MPG seem to overstate the actual MPG I am getting. Speedometer is usually 2-3 MPH above actual MPH at highway speed.

love / hate relationship
By tonysi

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first non honda product in many years. Love the features, performance, mileage and style. What i hate are the problems, waste gate issue after 1000 miles, spider webs in the turbo, waste gate reprogram again and finally at 50k the engine light on again and a fuel pump replacement. While all were under warranty there were no loaner cars offered by my dealer. Its like my Corvette, great car when its running right !

All the bells and whistles. love the blue tooth, the auto climate control and the great gas mileage. The SE interior is a great combination of leather and fabric. Paddle shifters are a feature I rarely use. Sonata is a car I can drive all day and enjoy it. The six speed trans is smooth as silk.

Better steering, its a little vague. Improve reliability.