2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Great car. Great Value
By wwhite1036 on 08/01/13 07:21 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

great car. i choose the hyundai after driving the 12 altima and 12 accord. Hands down winner.

Hyundai Service and Warranty
By netsab on 02/21/13 16:07 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Please be advised that Hyundai has come a long way from the junk they originally sold. I have had problems with the window washer clogging which the dealer told me was my fault and I would have to pay $100.00 to fix it? Secondly, my radiator blew up on my way home from work with 20000 miles on the car. I was advised by Kendall Hyundai that a rock (they think-because they were not sure where it was leaking from) flew up and damaged the radiator; therefore it was the drivers fault? I took it to an independent certified mechanic who advised me there was NO physical damage and that the radiator was DEFECTIVE. Instead of the dealer cost of $800 I ended up paying $475, a true travesty.

Great Car for the Money
By bobs66440 on 10/17/12 18:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have about 8500 miles on my Sonata and I am very happy with it so far. My previous car was a 2007 Infiniti G35X Sedan, so I was expecting a somewhat mundane driving experience, but happily, I was wrong. It's definitely no Infiniti, but a great car nonetheless. The fuel mileage is as advertised. It runs great and has an amazing amount of power for a four cylinder. It has a very comfortable interior/driving position for me and I am very fussy about that. I especially like the light steering, bluetooth, Homelink, satellite radio, comfy seats and the intuitive and easy to understand controls. It is simply a lot of car for a relatively small price.

Looks great, but...
By themightyinf on 09/22/12 22:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bold lines. Great styling. This car will catch your eye, and hold it. Great value, and a great size. But all is not how its seems. Listed as a full size sedan, however... its not. Seems better suited as a mid-size. The 2.4 l four cylinder is great for saving gas, but forgets that its supposed to make the car move at times. Its got a better rear end than a Mustang GT... more modern anyway. But warning... the ride is rough as an old woodie rollercoaster! How nice would this be if the rear wheels pushed instead of dragged the car down! Still, this car is better than what you will find in most places (cough cough, chevy cruze, cough cough)...

All in all very nice car for $$
By shop74 on 07/05/12 10:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned a Lexus, Acura and Volvo. This car compares to the Japanese luxury brands as far as the drive. It is very smooth feeling and saves gas. Great price!!! It doesn't drive like the Volvo did in its good days. I really only missing my sunroof. I upgraded to leather and alloy wheels. You should too the cloth seats are cheapish and kinda hard to me. The ride is very loud and rough with stee The passenger side seat is kinda low to the ground. The gadgets on the car are nice. Everything wraps around the driver which is NICE and luxurious. The backseat and trunk are very spacious! Way more exciting than the Honda Accord or Altima- BORING. I do like this car only time will tell if it lasts

Disappointed owner
By uncle_bob13 on 06/23/12 09:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Sonata drives OK but the interior looks and feels cheap. My major problem with Hyundai is its customer service. 3 days ago I decided to go shopping. I left my car in the parking lot. When I returned, I found a major fracture in the windshield (20 "). I drove to Hyundai dealer. Their service guy looked at it, couldn't find any chips, so he took a pencil and traced the fracture and concluded that it was caused by a stone hitting the windshield. I told him that it happened in the parking lot but he wouldn't believe me. Right, I'm trying to rip Hyundai off for $200. They don't have any trust in their customer. So much for Hyundai for me. As soon as I pay it off, I'll trade it in for a Camry.

Made The Switch!
By sackc26 on 05/27/12 09:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Coming from a 2010 Nissan Altima SL 2.5, I needed to get out of my lease (I just got a new job that requires a 35 minute commute each way). I researched Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, Honda Civic and the Hyundai Elantra. To me, it wasn't a tough decision. I opted for the GLS base trim and although I missed out on power seats, chrome interior handles and alloys in the GLS Option #2 package, it boiled down to what was important to me. The base still has bluetooth and XM (my Altima SL didn't have them both), and the performance is the same on all trims. The car drives well also - fluid steering, nice acceleration and great MPG.

Low MPG
By lasthyundai on 05/21/12 15:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Disappointing gas mileage. Divide mileage by gallons and find it's only getting about 24mpg for mixed city/hwy. That's with the eco mode on and gentle driving. Not what I was led to believe. Steering is a little twitchy on the freeway. Seats are a little firm. Other than that it's a nice car. So far no problems.

Death Trap
By jblasiclith on 04/21/12 14:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I leased 2 weeks ago a brand new 2012 Sonata. It has a swerving problem. The car is all over the road. I am scared to drive it. Of course it has been back into the dealership 2 times and they are telling me nothing is wrong. Hyundai refuses to admit they have another steering problem. They will not take back the car. I am afraid for my life, and they won't do the right thing. DO NOT buy this car or anything by Hyundai as they won't help you even when their cars have know DEFECTS. Rating--0

i would definently buy again
By scottyspamman on 03/29/12 21:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i work out of my car and spend alot of time in it. 40k,yr that being said, i am 6 1, 230 lbs, and this has alot more room than any other car in its class. seriously. i looked at accord and camry, but if you spend 2 minutes in this car you will LOVE IT. again tons of room, a slap shift when you want power. it get 30 mpg at the pump. ive gotten 39mpg on a long road trip. the engine is quiet, it is very comfortable, it doesn't look like a grandma mobile, i carry 3 duffel bags of medical supplies in the trunk with room to spare. and it has a 5 star crash rating. its alot cheaper then its copetition. but, you will notice a difference in build quality. nothing substancial though

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan in VA is:

$141 per month*