Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

My story
By alliecat3

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Sonata for almost four years now, with a little over 33,000 mileage. After 8 months of having it, I needed a new transmission. Now I need a new engine. I feel like I ended up with a lemon. No one wants to hear it and service tries to shift the blame to me some how. I have all my invoices of oil changes, brakes, etc. So I have done my part. I loved my car. When you buy something new you want the new engine, the new transmission and so on. You are paying for that. As in anything there can be a circumstance where this vehicle was not assembled correctly. But no one will own up to it. I dread thinking of what will be next.

Great Car with Some Flaws
By bobs66440

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

With almost 63,000 miles, I'm really very happy overall with the car. The only real issues are: 1) A problem with the cloth upholstery. It started to show signs of wear only a few months after purchase. It now looks like a 20 year old car seat. The dealer took photos and sent them on to Hyundai to see what they can do. 2) Since day one, the highway stability has been a little sketchy. It's ok until you are around other vehicles when the wind buffeting can move the car around. I'm used to it now but at first it was unsettling. 3) The fuel pump went bad at 62,000 miles which I thought was premature. But the dealer took care of it under warranty, no problem.

Great power for a 4 cylinder. Blue tooth. USB port. Light steering feel. Very comfortable seating position. Heat comes up very quickly on cold days.

1) Better quality seat fabric. 2) The blue backlight on the radio makes it very hard to read at night. 2) Horrendous blind spot caused by the huge A-pillars. This is potentially dangerous in my opinion. I've pulled into parking lots and entire cars or pedestrians were completely obscured. I understand why they are so beefy, but at what cost? 3) Brake pedal travel seems excessively long to me before the brakes grab. The dealer says it's normal but I don't like it.

“Solid mid-size contender for commuting”
By gregg2707

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you want to buy a good car for daily commuting, you can’t do much better than this Sonata. Reliable, fuel efficient and pretty cheap to operate makes this an easy choice. We bought this car new in 2012 and currently have just over 62000 miles on it. This is the base GLS with only 3 options - most if not all of the important features you need are standard. I'd recommend this Sonata to anyone needing a good, reliable, commuter car. Build quality is excellent and has been a very reliable, inexpensive car to operate. Only one warranty repair has been needed in 62000 miles and that was for a faulty cruise control switch which was repaired under warranty.

Reliability, price, fuel economy, low operating cost and features you'd pay extra for on other cars but don't have to on Hyundai.

The biggest improvement would need to be in the area of ride; it's too rough. And the seating is too hard/firm.

Engine failed 72K, no help from Hyundai
By wv_mazda

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The lower end of my 2.4 L Sonata failed at 72500 miles under normal driving conditiuons. It has had an oil change every 5000 miles. Because I am not the original owner, the warranty did not apply. The dealer was very nice and sold me a used engine at full price. Hyundai USA declined to help me in any way. No care should have this type of engine failure at this mileage unless completely neglected.

Fun car to drive, good mileage

Build a motor that can be driven 100,000 miles.

Great car. Great Value
By wwhite1036

2012 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

great car. i choose the hyundai after driving the 12 altima and 12 accord. Hands down winner.