2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews 5

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2011 Sonata Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great Value - MPG Accuracy?
By niteflite888

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've got 24k miles on this now... probably 18k of it was on the highway. On the highway never got over 34 mpg but on my trip yesterday with three fully grown adults and some luggage in the trunk i averaged 36.2 mpg on a 400 mile trip on eco drive going some 70 to 80 mph up and down mountainous roads. the only thing is.... when i calculated the mpg based on miles traveled between gas fill-ups, the mpg was only 33.3 or so. the car overall has been fine for what i've paid. the only real issue was with rattling which the front passenger area which they kind of fixed. alignment has been bad from the beginning. the ride feels cheap when going over bumps.

Favorite Features

bluetooth, homelink, steering wheel controls, value.

Suggested Improvements

seat comfort. headroom in back

Great Car
By imlostnow98

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Owned the car for about a year and have 24k miles on it. This is the best car I have ever owned. It is well built with logical layout of all controls. A lot of standard features that are options on other makes. The ride is compliant and the chassis is well sorted but steering is numb. It is quite fun in turns for a family sedan. The transmission is smooth but the manual mode is useless since it automatically upshifts in manual mode. I average 26 mpg in mixed driving and 36-38 mpg on the highway. No problems in the first year and with how things have gone for the first 24k miles I don't expect issues anytime soon. Overall best value and car in its class.

Favorite Features

Exterior/interior design and style. Easy to use touchscreen infotainment system. Fuel economy. Driving dynamics. Acceleration. Voice control system works very well.

Suggested Improvements

Better manual mode for transmission. Trunk release latch on trunk not just a button on the dash and keyless entry. Make passenger seat height adjustable.

pulling issue
By eirehatfield

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In June of 2011 I purchased a sonata with 40 miles on it. since day 1 it has had a pulling issue. Struts have been replaced, camber bolt kit has been tried. New tires settle the pull issue mostly but still has problems and does not drive straight. Key cylinder has been replaced due to key sticking. Gas gauge has been replaced because it showed I always needed gas, even when i just fueled up. I have argues the pulling issue with dealearship since day 1. I am being told there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. All my family and mech. friends have driven this car with the same feelings as mine. Something is wrong!! It definetly does not drive straight. Horrible customer service.

Favorite Features

The only nice about Sonata is gas mileage on Hwy only. City gas mileage is no better than any other vehicle out there.

Suggested Improvements

Only takes 2-3 hours of test drive and paperwork to buy a car these days. But if you have a problem with it that can't be fixed, look forward to being screwed over for months by Hynudai. No one seems to want to help with my problem and i am given the run around trying to get it fixed. Currently i'm pursuing a refund, which Hyundai does not even want to acknowledge me on this issue.

Some good things some bad
By dadams1000

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

While most of my Sonata experience is good some things I don't like 1) When starting the car when the engine is cold I believe there is excessive noise, have told the dealer about it had them come out to my house so they could start it cold. They tell me it's the fuel pump and the noise is normal. 2) The site lines to the rear are terrible. 3) The horn sounds like a bike horn. 4) I have owned the car for just over a year and I got aprox. 27mpg for the first 6500 miles. Since then mpg has gone down to aprox. 24 mpg. I have talked to the dealer about it but they tell me there are no error codes and ???.Overall I like the car but don't think I'd buy another.

Favorite Features

I like the bluetooth, the I-pod, and XM radio features

Suggested Improvements

Better site lines

1 Year FollowUp - NY/NJ Driver (mixed hw/city)
By kososs

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am at my 1 year mark and ~ 15K miles. I have noticed no deterioration in performance. Have not been in shop other than 3 oil changes with my mechanic (I was told not to go by the book for oil changes, I am using synthetic and change every 4.5K instead of book's 7.5K). I drive to work in a carpool, drive my 4 year old to day care and take it weekend shopping. No problems with inertia front or back. No problem with seat fabric or plastics.

Favorite Features

6 speed MT is fun with enough power to make it go, have not lost any negotiations so far within the class - rain or shine. Love the Bluetooth. connect my smart phone and listen to Pandora radio or watch Netflix (while waiting). Load my Costco shopping into the trunk with space to spare. My carpool buddies never complain about space or comfort even though they drive premium sedans

Suggested Improvements

Trunk lead with smaller mechanism (pneumatic) back of rear seats to open from inside modular internment systems which could be upgraded (want Pandora in my radio) 12v power on the back seat and trunk

Love this car
By buukyak

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought mine new in May 2011. I've got about 15,000 miles on it now. I love this car. Granted, I spent a little more to get the touchscreen nav system, the alloy wheels, and premium audio...but other than that, it's pretty much a regular GLS. I love driving this thing. I have seen some of the other reviews of people saying this car is really disappointing...I don't think that's the norm. The design is just very well thought out. Ergonomically it's a dream...and there is a TON of room inside. It's actually deceptively roomy because it doesn't look like it's as roomy as it actually is. The car runs perfectly and Hyundai also offers great support.

Favorite Features

Interior layout, external look, quiet ride, handling, power (it's got a lot of punch for a 2.4L!)

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support for the passenger seat, 18" wheels for the GLS instead of 16"

Very Good, but not quite there
By larmo1

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, this is a very good car. I like it better than the Honda Accord. But after driving it for a year, it has lost its appeal. There is a slightly cheap feel that does not improve over time. The plastic parts of the seats and dash scratched easy and made the car look kind of trashy. Same with the paint and finish outside; and I really take care of my vehicles. Rear visibility is not very good. It is easy to overlook when sitting in a new car, but over time it really gets annoying. We traded the Sonata in after 13 months and 25,000 miles. It took a $6,500 dollar hit. Overall, it is a very nice car. Perfect for a young family. But I am old and want something better.

Favorite Features

Stereo system is really well thought out. There are tons of little things that Hyundai did right. Like lights on the doors, inside handle on the trunk, remote keyless entry; remote trunk release, auto lights, the ride, and easy access of the oil and air filters. Power and gas mileage is good. We got 25 in the city and 34 on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish. The quality of plastic parts really needs to step up. The flashy styling of the Sonata just looks stupid once it gets a little dingy - kind of like a prom queen with a dirty dress. Rear visibility is not very good.

Time will tell - Getting disappointed day by day
By ding9888

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When we bought this car in April 2010, we were so excited and thought it was great value - good looking, great freeway mileage etc. There were some minor problems (the handle bars fell off within 1/2 year) but we were okay as long as the engine runs well. However in less than 2 years, we kind of regret it. Since January we have visited the service department 4 times in less than 2 months: 1. Engine lights on 2. Starter broke and was replaced 3. Oil leak 4. More oil leak after less than 2 weeks This car only has 29K miles. Although these were all covered by warranty, it's not fun to visit the service dept. every other week. I don't need free car wash anymore.

Favorite Features

Exterior Design Radio CD changer Passengers seat warmer

Suggested Improvements

I am not a mechanic but a car with less than 29K miles has so many problems definitely tells me there are still a lot need to improve. Please at least build something that is reliable. It is a pain that I have to commute everyday, with a fairly new but unreliable car.

Snow no go!
By ljb506

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a used low miles 2011 Sonata last fall and loved it, awesome gas mileage, up to 40 hwy. inside great, outside great! Winter came late and I discovered it does not get around in snow at all! I've never had to worry about getting around in snow and I live in a state that normally gets a lot of snow. Had trouble navigating in even 3 inches of snow! Car dealer said they are built light which is why mileage is so good. Got stuck 3 times in a 7 min. commute from work to home. Next day traded it in for an AWD Subaru - I didn't even hesitate to get rid of it. Dependability and reliability is tops on list for a vehicle!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, felt sporty, great look.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car driveable in snow.

The best sedan for under $25,000
By carev

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My family has a rule that we will not spend more than $25,000 for a car--new or used. For under 25k, the Sonata 2.0t SE gives you the power of a six with the economy of a four, all of the features you could ask for (including power driver's seat, XM, bluetooth, fog lights, USB connectivity, attractive 18" wheels, etc) in a car that drives like a midsize performance (not quite "sports") sedan but has the interior room of a full-size. As an added bonus, they hold their value well and earned a five-star safety rating across the board.

Favorite Features

Far and away, the engine! 2.0 liter direct-inject with twin-scroll turbo with 274hp on 87 octane... 285 with 91. I never got less than 34 on the highway and hit 38 on a cross-country jaunt where speeds were kept between 70-80mph with two passengers, luggage for two weeks and the AC on.

Suggested Improvements

Minor niggles... the armrests are hard for long trips, the steering lacks feel, and a transmission recall (computer reprogram) knocked the MPG's down a couple.