2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Very Good, but not quite there
By larmo1 on 02/26/12 06:26 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, this is a very good car. I like it better than the Honda Accord. But after driving it for a year, it has lost its appeal. There is a slightly cheap feel that does not improve over time. The plastic parts of the seats and dash scratched easy and made the car look kind of trashy. Same with the paint and finish outside; and I really take care of my vehicles. Rear visibility is not very good. It is easy to overlook when sitting in a new car, but over time it really gets annoying. We traded the Sonata in after 13 months and 25,000 miles. It took a $6,500 dollar hit. Overall, it is a very nice car. Perfect for a young family. But I am old and want something better.

Time will tell - Getting disappointed day by day
By ding9888 on 02/16/12 12:44 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When we bought this car in April 2010, we were so excited and thought it was great value - good looking, great freeway mileage etc. There were some minor problems (the handle bars fell off within 1/2 year) but we were okay as long as the engine runs well. However in less than 2 years, we kind of regret it. Since January we have visited the service department 4 times in less than 2 months: 1. Engine lights on 2. Starter broke and was replaced 3. Oil leak 4. More oil leak after less than 2 weeks This car only has 29K miles. Although these were all covered by warranty, it's not fun to visit the service dept. every other week. I don't need free car wash anymore.

Snow no go!
By ljb506 on 02/05/12 11:08 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a used low miles 2011 Sonata last fall and loved it, awesome gas mileage, up to 40 hwy. inside great, outside great! Winter came late and I discovered it does not get around in snow at all! I've never had to worry about getting around in snow and I live in a state that normally gets a lot of snow. Had trouble navigating in even 3 inches of snow! Car dealer said they are built light which is why mileage is so good. Got stuck 3 times in a 7 min. commute from work to home. Next day traded it in for an AWD Subaru - I didn't even hesitate to get rid of it. Dependability and reliability is tops on list for a vehicle!

The best sedan for under $25,000
By carev on 02/04/12 17:51 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My family has a rule that we will not spend more than $25,000 for a car--new or used. For under 25k, the Sonata 2.0t SE gives you the power of a six with the economy of a four, all of the features you could ask for (including power driver's seat, XM, bluetooth, fog lights, USB connectivity, attractive 18" wheels, etc) in a car that drives like a midsize performance (not quite "sports") sedan but has the interior room of a full-size. As an added bonus, they hold their value well and earned a five-star safety rating across the board.

Very Disappointed by 2011 Hyundai Sonata
By 2011sonataownr on 01/10/12 20:21 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this Hyundai Sonata (2011 GLS) new. Thought I would try a Hyundai since seeing all the TV ads about their quality. The Ride is hard. Radio FM tuner sound quality is marginal at best. Radio was replaced due to display fading issue(research on web for more details). Having issues with the engine pinging while accelerating. Only 19K miles on engine, and trying to get it fixed at dealer is not going well.

sweet ride
By easternpadad on 12/20/11 17:27 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

have had the 2011 since the summer and it has been a very favorable experience. good mileage and excellent performance for this class/price/mileage.

Low Tire Pressure
By kristinadd on 12/09/11 09:49 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in April of 2011. All through summer and now into the winter, the low tire pressure light has been coming on and I have to bring it into the dealership and have them record it since it is a leased car. They say its because of the weather getting cold but on 80 degree days, I dont believe that at all! Other than that, it is a great car, very big and spacious. Though, very EASY to hit curbs!

Gas mileage disappointing
By jimmania on 12/06/11 13:43 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall great car..However, the gas mileage on this car is far removed from what was promised..I've been averaging about 18 MPG on the average, far below what was promised and expected..

Overall Good Car
By mike_231 on 12/02/11 08:56 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned this car for 6 months and 7900 miles. So far, here are my impressions: Pros: Great combination of power and fuel economy, great looking body, well executed and very comfortable interior, large number of features for the price. Cons: Electric power steering doesn't have the best feel, road noise (tires) is louder than it should be, my car has the slight left pull issue that comes-and-goes with tire rotations, 18" wheels with low profile tires are very sensitive to road irregularities, too easy to scrape 18" wheels on curbs, car wash guides, etc.

Hyundai Replaced the Bad One
By esperandrich on 10/23/11 18:22 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

See my previous reviews. Hyundai replaced the car that pulled to the left with a new car which has no problems. Actually I had to find the replacement but Hyundai was cooperative and I am very happy now. I can't go into details because of the agreement I signed but Hyundai was very good about it and I would buy another one.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$126 per month*