2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews 4

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Near perfection for the $$$
By peter95949 on 11/27/12 19:23 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am surprised to read consumers comment about parts falling off, etc. My Sonata has 26,000 in 30 months and has given me absolutely no trouble at all except a battery replacement at 10K. Ride is a mixed bag: absolutely no wind noise at any speed. Low-rolling-resistance tires can produce pronounced road noise on certain pavements. However, coupled with six-speed transmission and efficient engine, the tires help me to get 24mpg city and up to 40mpg on the road. The car is laden with unexpected features, and the swoopy styling makes everything else in this price range look dowdy. I love the car!

Tremendous Value, combination of Power and MPG
By oldsroyale on 11/26/12 15:32 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've put 35k miles on mine. Simply put, you are not going to find a car that does 0-60 in 6.7sec that also gets MPG like this. The power delivery is nearly lag-free. Handling is good on the SE's. The stock tires are rubbish. I run a true summer tire on the stock 18's and that improves the handling, but makes the ride a bit choppier. I run 17's in winter and that makes a big difference in winter weather handling. It also helps the ride. I added heated seats- why that was not standard, don't know... The seats are not very comfortable compared to competitors. Ergonomics are a cut below Honda but still good. The dimension stereo is disappointing.

hyundai overall fail
By buckeyeclair on 11/15/12 08:22 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

within the first week of owning this vehicle parts started falling off. The interior is cheap and I've had to have the fuel door replaced multiple times. Not only that but after maintaining my hyundai regularly it stalled our of no where (no check engine light, no oil light, no warning) and died. IT was towed to the local hyundai dealer where they said they had to jump it to get it into the service bay then stated they reved the engine and it died. Hyundai is now saying it is my fault for not maintaining the vehicle and they will not cover the cost of the engine. I am now completely with out a vehicle unless I pay over 8k for a brand new engine on a leased vehicle less than 2 years old.

love/hate relationship with this car
By karolewithak on 10/27/12 17:00 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I enjoy riding in and driving this car - when I can keep it out of the shop. The service department people are great to me but can't seem to get all of the problems fixed. So far, the brake sensor went out, had a steering part recall, replaced the shift knob. There's an AC-related intermittent knock in the glove box area that a new AC compressor didn't fix it. Something in the steering or suspension rattles over rough road or bad parking lots. A new strut assembly didn't help. The auto lock works but doesn't beep, but does double-beep when I unlock it. Sometime the driver window won't go back up, but the service guys can't duplicate that. It's tiresome.

Couldn't be happier
By brianjm on 09/19/12 04:41 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS for about 1.5 years now. Since I commute to work and school every day, I have put about 45k miles on the car for less than two years. So far, never had any problems with the car. Only went to the dealership for regular oil changes. Nothing has fallen apart or had issues mechanically. Maintanance costs were very affordable and staffs were super friendly. Been getting approximately 25~28 mpg for city and up to 38mpg for highway. Car is comfortable, picks speed up at the freeway pretty well. Overall, I give my car a 5 star. Previously, I have owned Hondas, Mercedes, Toyotas and Volkswagens, but I would have to say, I am very happy with my Hyundai.

Getting worse...
By niteflite888 on 08/30/12 10:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my third or fourth review on this same car since buying it 17 months ago. There's a crackling/rattling noise from the front which the dealer tried to address by tightening something and that hasn't worked. The alignment is still off although my original tires are still usable at 28k miles. Most recently there's been excessive road noise and I can't figure out what it is. The ride feels cheap, it's awful going over bumps, i don't ilke the feel and sound of the swooshing steering wheel. all in all, i think the value is still good on paper when you consider the features on the base model compared to the accord or camry. i most likely will be turning this in at lease end.

I'm done with this car and Hyundai Motor Co.
By andrewg55 on 08/06/12 17:49 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the styling and power from the 2.4 motor, but that's about it. The gas mileage is not what it is supposed to be, get about 21 City and never see over 32 HWY. The "leather" seats are cheap and hard. The suspension is rough and steering feels fake. The car has had transmission issues, steering recalls, brake sensor problems causing the car to not start, water leaks causing me to take the car in 4 times and eventually having to have a Hyundai engineer determine that the roof was not sloped right and then they had to do body work on the car to correct it! XM antenna shorted out and headliner had to be replaced all do to this problem.

LUVN IT!!
By tinvin on 07/02/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I owned a 2005 Sonata GLS for 7 years & never had a problem with it .I was so satisfied with it I decided to go for another Sonata. I have been looking for a while & came upon the 2011 Sonata I recently got. I love it as much as my 2005 model. Very happy they put the lights on the steering for the cruise, radio, etc. That was a big plus. A very sharp looking car. So far very satisfied with it. After I have had it a while I will repost a review but I don't believe the review will have anything negative. I highly recommend this vehicle. Even going from a V6 to a 4 cyl I am still impressed with the pick up & speed. I look for many happy years with this car! Very HAPPY!

Love the look...NOT pleased with the performance and durability
By amij on 06/29/12 11:16 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This was my very first new car. I was very pleased with the price. I got the Hyundai employee discount. I only paid about $16,800 for a brand new vehicle! I love the gas mileage and look, however, I do am not pleased with the vehicle. My car is only a year old and I have had SEVERAL issues with it. My door fram has peeled twice, my steerling wheel has peeled, my horn quit working, my light buttons stick and on top of this my engine tries to stall upon excelleration( which they still have not fixed because they said it isn't showing up on the computer) Its annoying to have to contine to drive 100 miles round trip to get it fixed all of the time. Its a new car..shouldn't be happening.:(:(:(

Hyundai like Sunday
By konosur on 06/06/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After looking for a car that was reliable AND stylish I found no better sedan than the Hyundai Sonata. I have owned toyota camry and nissan maxima in the past. I bought it new in Dec. '10 and have put 14k miles on it so far. No issues, just oil changes. My favorite things about the car is its sporty feel, sexy styling, roomy interior. It is super smooth and quiet on a smooth road, but a little rough on a rough road. Overall, the build feels luxurious and more similar to entry-level luxury cars than an economy car. The door gives a solid "thud" when you close it, the frame feels solid and safe, and the suspension is firm yet comfortable. I'm really impressed with this Hyundai.