2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
love/hate relationship with this car
By karolewithak on 10/27/12 17:00 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I enjoy riding in and driving this car - when I can keep it out of the shop. The service department people are great to me but can't seem to get all of the problems fixed. So far, the brake sensor went out, had a steering part recall, replaced the shift knob. There's an AC-related intermittent knock in the glove box area that a new AC compressor didn't fix it. Something in the steering or suspension rattles over rough road or bad parking lots. A new strut assembly didn't help. The auto lock works but doesn't beep, but does double-beep when I unlock it. Sometime the driver window won't go back up, but the service guys can't duplicate that. It's tiresome.

Couldn't be happier
By brianjm on 09/19/12 04:41 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS for about 1.5 years now. Since I commute to work and school every day, I have put about 45k miles on the car for less than two years. So far, never had any problems with the car. Only went to the dealership for regular oil changes. Nothing has fallen apart or had issues mechanically. Maintanance costs were very affordable and staffs were super friendly. Been getting approximately 25~28 mpg for city and up to 38mpg for highway. Car is comfortable, picks speed up at the freeway pretty well. Overall, I give my car a 5 star. Previously, I have owned Hondas, Mercedes, Toyotas and Volkswagens, but I would have to say, I am very happy with my Hyundai.

Getting worse...
By niteflite888 on 08/30/12 10:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my third or fourth review on this same car since buying it 17 months ago. There's a crackling/rattling noise from the front which the dealer tried to address by tightening something and that hasn't worked. The alignment is still off although my original tires are still usable at 28k miles. Most recently there's been excessive road noise and I can't figure out what it is. The ride feels cheap, it's awful going over bumps, i don't ilke the feel and sound of the swooshing steering wheel. all in all, i think the value is still good on paper when you consider the features on the base model compared to the accord or camry. i most likely will be turning this in at lease end.

I'm done with this car and Hyundai Motor Co.
By andrewg55 on 08/06/12 17:49 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the styling and power from the 2.4 motor, but that's about it. The gas mileage is not what it is supposed to be, get about 21 City and never see over 32 HWY. The "leather" seats are cheap and hard. The suspension is rough and steering feels fake. The car has had transmission issues, steering recalls, brake sensor problems causing the car to not start, water leaks causing me to take the car in 4 times and eventually having to have a Hyundai engineer determine that the roof was not sloped right and then they had to do body work on the car to correct it! XM antenna shorted out and headliner had to be replaced all do to this problem.

LUVN IT!!
By tinvin on 07/02/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I owned a 2005 Sonata GLS for 7 years & never had a problem with it .I was so satisfied with it I decided to go for another Sonata. I have been looking for a while & came upon the 2011 Sonata I recently got. I love it as much as my 2005 model. Very happy they put the lights on the steering for the cruise, radio, etc. That was a big plus. A very sharp looking car. So far very satisfied with it. After I have had it a while I will repost a review but I don't believe the review will have anything negative. I highly recommend this vehicle. Even going from a V6 to a 4 cyl I am still impressed with the pick up & speed. I look for many happy years with this car! Very HAPPY!

Love the look...NOT pleased with the performance and durability
By amij on 06/29/12 11:16 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This was my very first new car. I was very pleased with the price. I got the Hyundai employee discount. I only paid about $16,800 for a brand new vehicle! I love the gas mileage and look, however, I do am not pleased with the vehicle. My car is only a year old and I have had SEVERAL issues with it. My door fram has peeled twice, my steerling wheel has peeled, my horn quit working, my light buttons stick and on top of this my engine tries to stall upon excelleration( which they still have not fixed because they said it isn't showing up on the computer) Its annoying to have to contine to drive 100 miles round trip to get it fixed all of the time. Its a new car..shouldn't be happening.:(:(:(

Hyundai like Sunday
By konosur on 06/06/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After looking for a car that was reliable AND stylish I found no better sedan than the Hyundai Sonata. I have owned toyota camry and nissan maxima in the past. I bought it new in Dec. '10 and have put 14k miles on it so far. No issues, just oil changes. My favorite things about the car is its sporty feel, sexy styling, roomy interior. It is super smooth and quiet on a smooth road, but a little rough on a rough road. Overall, the build feels luxurious and more similar to entry-level luxury cars than an economy car. The door gives a solid "thud" when you close it, the frame feels solid and safe, and the suspension is firm yet comfortable. I'm really impressed with this Hyundai.

Great Value - MPG Accuracy?
By niteflite888 on 05/26/12 08:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've got 24k miles on this now... probably 18k of it was on the highway. On the highway never got over 34 mpg but on my trip yesterday with three fully grown adults and some luggage in the trunk i averaged 36.2 mpg on a 400 mile trip on eco drive going some 70 to 80 mph up and down mountainous roads. the only thing is.... when i calculated the mpg based on miles traveled between gas fill-ups, the mpg was only 33.3 or so. the car overall has been fine for what i've paid. the only real issue was with rattling which the front passenger area which they kind of fixed. alignment has been bad from the beginning. the ride feels cheap when going over bumps.

Great Car
By imlostnow98 on 05/04/12 08:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Owned the car for about a year and have 24k miles on it. This is the best car I have ever owned. It is well built with logical layout of all controls. A lot of standard features that are options on other makes. The ride is compliant and the chassis is well sorted but steering is numb. It is quite fun in turns for a family sedan. The transmission is smooth but the manual mode is useless since it automatically upshifts in manual mode. I average 26 mpg in mixed driving and 36-38 mpg on the highway. No problems in the first year and with how things have gone for the first 24k miles I don't expect issues anytime soon. Overall best value and car in its class.

pulling issue
By eirehatfield on 05/03/12 07:32 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In June of 2011 I purchased a sonata with 40 miles on it. since day 1 it has had a pulling issue. Struts have been replaced, camber bolt kit has been tried. New tires settle the pull issue mostly but still has problems and does not drive straight. Key cylinder has been replaced due to key sticking. Gas gauge has been replaced because it showed I always needed gas, even when i just fueled up. I have argues the pulling issue with dealearship since day 1. I am being told there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. All my family and mech. friends have driven this car with the same feelings as mine. Something is wrong!! It definetly does not drive straight. Horrible customer service.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$126 per month*