Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 589 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Nice!
By ViniG

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I owned Nissan before I got 2011 used Sonata with less than 100k miles. Overall happy with it.

Happy
By LS

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

60,000 miles.., still going strong. Got a clean bill of health during last visit to dealer, all recalls updated, engine is good. Everything, nav, heat, a/c, heater.., no problems, working and holding up well. Overall, love the look and acceleration! I am happy with the car.., no complaints.

Stay far, far, far away
By Jen

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My husband and I purchased this car in 2014 after his previous Sonata met it's end. Lasting almost 300,000 miles without an issue, he wanted another Sonata. We bought the 2011 Sonata used and it was a great car at first. Unfortunately, within the last year, the car has become more of a headache than anything. We have had it at the dealer 4 times in the past year, and it's there now. The first time, Hyundai claimed they couldn't find anything wrong and we were sent home. Check engine light came on again within a month, and they figured out something needed to be replaced in the transmission. The third time, the check engine light came on and we also had to replace the starter in the car, with only 60k miles on it. Now the car is in the shop again, and the airbag light is on this time. Thankfully we purchased an extended warranty on the car and it has paid to fix everything thus far. There have been 4 recalls on the car since we purchased it, and it's a pain to have to take off work to keep putting the car in the shop. I've also done research on the air bag issue and apparently it requires a new air bag that costs $1200 and isn't covered by the warranty which is a SAFETY HAZARD that Hyundai isn't doing anything about despite many complaints. I want to sell this car and get something WAY more reliable. This car is a POS. STAY AWAY!

Love my Car, Comfy, convenient controlls
By Barbara Herring

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

The disappointing part: before I bought it, Consumer Reports said to use caution when purchaseing a vehicle in its first year of redo and updating., (2011 in this case). I loved this car right away with all the technology, comfort, easy access to controls, over the top temperature comfort. I sit on a pillow to give me better views, not conducive for short/medium dirivers. expecially when checking out windows traffic , blind spots seem to be a challenge. I wish there were some high tech sollution (standard equipment) to this problem. I took off the rear head support restraint so I could see a little better. But as with everything you adjust to mangage the drawback. Standard safety equipment should be standard in every similar vehicles with the same challenges. My love affair became strained when I checked for recalls and tech reports. Their were approx 10 RECALLS. of which few could be fixed, but they couldn,t get repair parts to repair the problems. I have had steering coupling ordered for 7 months. The driving mechanisms is deteriating, expect to send me into the drink! I check Carflex, they already show "12 reports". One man RECALLS, I am cautioned about hight risk of loss of control, lose brakes, chance of fire. Scarry! WHAT CAN I DO?? CHECK LEMON LAW?? SELL IT TO ANOTHER SUCKER??

Cheap Parts
By Ramses

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Wine Interior (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The price is good on the vehicle but it has a lot of issues. I have had 4 recalls, including one on the engine. A lever in the starter will probably break because it;s made out of plastic. GET READY TO PAY A FORTUNE ON MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS!