Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Happy with my 2011 2.0T Sonata
By lorenzos1

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first Hyundai, 43000 miles and its business as usual. No complaints, no problems. I service & maintain the car at Hyundai's recommended intervals at the dealer. So far my Sonata 2.0T has been fast and reliable. I average around 24 mpg. I love the nav and all the gizmos. Happy!

My favorite features are the large trunk, the power of 274hp, the Nav, the sound system and the steering audio controls..

.., heated seats should be standard equipment.

Worst Car I have Ever Owned
By dchoat

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Up until today, I would have told you I was pretty pleased with my Sonata. However, with 85K miles my engine is dead. Driving to work today, the engine started knocking, the check engine light came on, and about 5 seconds later the car just died (while I was driving.) I was fortunate not to be on the interstate, and was able to coast to a safe side road. I am the second owner, so the 100K warranty doesn't transfer to me. I contacted Hyundai Customer Care, and they said sorry, but what do you want me to do about it. The cost to replace the engine is $5700. I will now have a loan for my car, and a loan for my engine. I have read on other sites that the 2011 won Beware of the Clunker Award.

At this point, none!

Stand behind your products.

Sonata= let down
By aporter1995

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought used with 35,000 miles about 2 years ago. Within the first year, the thermostat had to be replaced (not covered under warranty). Now, the power door lock does not work on the passengers side and the drivers side window picks and chooses when it wants to work. 05 Honda Accord w 160k still starts easier on colder mornings. This car grinds terribly and takes too long to turn over for a car this new! Nothing but cheap Korean plastic and metal that is like tin foil! Looks good but looks are deceiving! Painted trim on steering wheel is peeling as well. Will be trading for a new Honda Civic or Accord very soon! Wheel well also busted after hitting very small object. Too flimsy!

First car that has had bluetooth so that has been nice. Also like aux input and usb input.

Stop using cheap plastics and metal! If you're going to present a product as being durable, then make it true! Get your game together Hyundai! Also, 4 recalls just since we've owned the vehicle? Not acceptable. I'd rather have durability and reliability over cheap any day.

An excellent car so far
By parkerjnc

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased this 2011 2.0t several months ago. It now has 50k miles. It is quiet and performs very well, being fun to drive while also getting 30+ mpg. The interior quality of materials are much better than expected for a car at this price point. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but so far very impressed.

The turbo provides excellent acceleration when needed. It gives the car plenty of power while still getting great gas mileage.

Regretting Buying This Vehicle
By tracy55

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Major problems from the start. Navigation/radio total failure. Gear shift stopped working-froze in park. Recently air bag malfunction. Now the engine failed. Burns oil and rod knock with no warning. Need a new engine but Hyundai is initially refusing to back its warranty because I cannot product every oil/filter receipt (sometimes had private mechanic change). Research has led me to an investigation into class action suit for engine failure by Chimicles & Tikellis. Good to know that I am not alone. Hyundai is like the cable company - once you are a customer they don't care. Should have gone with Honda or Toyota and will do so going forward.