Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 589 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Tremendous Value, combination of Power and MPG
By oldsroyale

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've put 35k miles on mine.
Simply put, you are not going to find a car that does 0-60 in 6.7sec that also gets MPG like this.
The power delivery is nearly lag-free.

Handling is good on the SE's.
The stock tires are rubbish.
I run a true summer tire on the stock 18's and that improves the handling, but makes the ride a bit choppier.
I run 17's in winter and that makes a big difference in winter weather handling.
It also helps the ride.

I added heated seats- why that was not standard, don't know...

The seats are not very comfortable compared to competitors.
Ergonomics are a cut below Honda but still good.
The dimension stereo is disappointing.

-power, lag-free -MPG: Combined I regularly get 26-27. On trips, I've easily gotten over 30MPG on 87octane. This car has a ton of power but you can drive it like an economy car. I tried hypermiling and got over 35mpg once. -handling (with proper seasonal tires) -value/warranty/economy off the scale compared to competitors. -Mine has been very reliable so far! -Lots of room and comfortable cabin.

The electric steering is numb. Yes, these cars do wander, especially on crowned roads. However Hyundai has finally figured it out and mine drives straight. If you test drive, give it a try. NAV: Where are the nav updates? The 2011's didn't have the backup camera with the SE package (boo!). The bluetooth often fails to connect to my cell phone. Iphones are integrated with the nav unit display but not droid. When it connects, the system works great. My dash is showing premature wear. Paddle shifters are pointless if you cannot approach the red line before upshifts.

hyundai overall fail
By buckeyeclair

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

within the first week of owning this vehicle parts started falling off. The interior is cheap and I've had to have the fuel door replaced multiple times. Not only that but after maintaining my hyundai regularly it stalled our of no where (no check engine light, no oil light, no warning) and died. IT was towed to the local hyundai dealer where they said they had to jump it to get it into the service bay then stated they reved the engine and it died. Hyundai is now saying it is my fault for not maintaining the vehicle and they will not cover the cost of the engine. I am now completely with out a vehicle unless I pay over 8k for a brand new engine on a leased vehicle less than 2 years old.

interior is shoddy, parts falling off, engine fail, multiple recalls hyundai no accountability

love/hate relationship with this car
By karolewithak

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I enjoy riding in and driving this car - when I can keep it out of the shop.
The service department people are great to me but can't seem to get all of the problems fixed.
So far, the brake sensor went out,
had a steering part recall, replaced the shift knob.
There's an AC-related intermittent knock in the glove box area that a new AC compressor didn't fix it.
Something in the steering or suspension rattles over rough road or bad parking lots.
A new strut assembly didn't help.
The auto lock works but doesn't beep, but does double-beep when I unlock it.
Sometime the driver window won't go back up, but the service guys can't duplicate that.
It's tiresome.

Looks great, comfortable to drive.

All of the service departments need to get on the same page. Hyundai needs to do a better job of communicating with them about problems and fixes for them instead of making us all go through the guessing games.

Couldn't be happier
By brianjm

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS for about 1.5 years now. Since I commute to work and school every day, I have put about 45k miles on the car for less than two years. So far, never had any problems with the car. Only went to the dealership for regular oil changes. Nothing has fallen apart or had issues mechanically. Maintanance costs were very affordable and staffs were super friendly. Been getting approximately 25~28 mpg for city and up to 38mpg for highway. Car is comfortable, picks speed up at the freeway pretty well. Overall, I give my car a 5 star. Previously, I have owned Hondas, Mercedes, Toyotas and Volkswagens, but I would have to say, I am very happy with my Hyundai.

Interior and Exterior Designs, Gas Mileage

We could have v6 option.

Getting worse...
By niteflite888

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my third or fourth review on this same car since buying it 17 months ago.
There's a crackling/rattling noise from the front which the dealer tried to address by tightening something and that hasn't worked.
The alignment is still off although my original tires are still usable at 28k miles.
Most recently there's been excessive road noise and I can't figure out what it is.

The ride feels cheap, it's awful going over bumps, i don't ilke the feel and sound of the swooshing steering wheel.

all in all, i think the value is still good on paper when you consider the features on the base model compared to the accord or camry.
i most likely will be turning this in at lease end.