Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

An excellent car so far
By parkerjnc

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased this 2011 2.0t several months ago. It now has 50k miles. It is quiet and performs very well, being fun to drive while also getting 30+ mpg. The interior quality of materials are much better than expected for a car at this price point. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but so far very impressed.

The turbo provides excellent acceleration when needed. It gives the car plenty of power while still getting great gas mileage.

Overall Good Car
By mike_231

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned this car for 6 months and 7900 miles. So far, here are my impressions: Pros: Great combination of power and fuel economy, great looking body, well executed and very comfortable interior, large number of features for the price. Cons: Electric power steering doesn't have the best feel, road noise (tires) is louder than it should be, my car has the slight left pull issue that comes-and-goes with tire rotations, 18" wheels with low profile tires are very sensitive to road irregularities, too easy to scrape 18" wheels on curbs, car wash guides, etc.

All four seats have seat heaters (although they are pretty weak, as is the case with most foreign cars). The 2.0L turbocharged GDI engine and six-speed automatic have plenty of power (I have fun playing with BMW's around Chicago) with outstanding fuel economy (33+ MPG on trips, around 29 MPG in mixed driving). Stereo system with bluetooth, XM, and USB port is a nice plus - I hardly use the 6-disc CD changer. Most comfortable driver's seat I was able to find in this class, except the headrest is a little too far forward (pretty common these days).

The road noise coming into the car from the tires should be reduced to be more competitive with similar models. Obviously, the left pull issue needs to be fixed. Reconsider using such large, low-profile tires on this relatively light car - the car steers into every single road irregularity (slight crown, slight texture differences, etc.) that it finds. Honestly, if I could have gotten the 2.0L turbo engine with the higher profile 17" wheels and tires, I would have done it. Improve the calibration of the electronic power steering to feel more natural.

Impressive and Popular
By cangelino87

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been researching Hyundai since it entered the American car market. They have come a long way, and have been successful. I am a car enthusiast and decided to give a Hyundai a shot. Recently leased a 2011 Sonata Limited. The car is wonderful. I had to take it in for a canopy rattle that ended up coming from the sunroof. The dealership gave me a rental car and rebuilt the sunroof over night. The rattle/creak is now gone. One thing that is annoying is the door-stays are not very strong and it's hard to keep the doors open sometimes. I notice a slight vibration in the steering column upon acceleration, but otherwise it's smooth. Love the car, very sleek and sophisticated.

Leather, power everything, ergonomic instrument layout, 6 speed, space, comfort, controls, gas mileage

sunroof/canopy creaks, strong door stays, sturdier center glovebox/arm rest, softer materials arent the center stack casing.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited
By jons2

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If your looking for a fuel efficient full size car, this is it. We bought our Sonata last year based on consumer reviews and now have +17K miles on it. We just drove it on a 3000 mile tour of New England and averaged over 35 mpg with mostly highway driving, at 75 mph....close to 600 miles p/fill up. Truly amazing!!!! Even thru the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire, it had plenty of get up and go when I needed it. The combination of the direct fuel injection, the 6 spd tranny and the aerodynamics I believe is the key factor for the performance of this car. My wife has been able to achieve close to 30 MPG in suburban driving back and forth to work.

I love the blue tooth capability that marriages my smart phone to the cars speakers, the high tech stereo with both HD radio, Satellite, and USB port for non-stop music or audio books. The push button entrance / engine start while never having to take your keys out of pocket is wonderful as well! The body design is slick as well! When people see it they can hardly believe that its a Hyundai.

My wife and I both find the seats a little hard to sit on after awhile and the front passenger seat really needs a height adjustment, otherwise it sits way to low especially for shorter people. Also, the navigation system turn by turn voice is computer generated and often difficult to understand. for example, for Vermont route 137, she will say VT 1 (pause) 37 with a different pitch on the 37. This causes you to look down at the screen to see what she is asking you to do. This is my third car with the Navi built in and this is probably the worst of the 3. Its still got us thru New England however. I also think the steering is too sensitive at high speeds. These are my only complaints.

Sonata Stalls on the Road
By ddelong1

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my new Sonata 2.0T in the middle of June and just loved it until this week. We were coming to a stop and the car stalled out and we coasted to the stop. I noticed that there were 2 warning lights on - engine and another one. The car was idling but there was not throttle response. Nothing. I turned it off and then restarted it. Now only the engine light was on and the throttle had response. The dealer found codes 2118 & 2110 but couldn't find the problem. They just erased the codes. This is a safety item for sure. If I was on the highway and this happened, we could have been rear ended. This car had less than 1500 kms. Beware!