2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
An excellent car so far
By parkerjnc on 12/04/14 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased this 2011 2.0t several months ago. It now has 50k miles. It is quiet and performs very well, being fun to drive while also getting 30+ mpg. The interior quality of materials are much better than expected for a car at this price point. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but so far very impressed.

Overall Good Car
By mike_231 on 12/02/11 08:56 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned this car for 6 months and 7900 miles. So far, here are my impressions: Pros: Great combination of power and fuel economy, great looking body, well executed and very comfortable interior, large number of features for the price. Cons: Electric power steering doesn't have the best feel, road noise (tires) is louder than it should be, my car has the slight left pull issue that comes-and-goes with tire rotations, 18" wheels with low profile tires are very sensitive to road irregularities, too easy to scrape 18" wheels on curbs, car wash guides, etc.

Impressive and Popular
By cangelino87 on 08/04/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been researching Hyundai since it entered the American car market. They have come a long way, and have been successful. I am a car enthusiast and decided to give a Hyundai a shot. Recently leased a 2011 Sonata Limited. The car is wonderful. I had to take it in for a canopy rattle that ended up coming from the sunroof. The dealership gave me a rental car and rebuilt the sunroof over night. The rattle/creak is now gone. One thing that is annoying is the door-stays are not very strong and it's hard to keep the doors open sometimes. I notice a slight vibration in the steering column upon acceleration, but otherwise it's smooth. Love the car, very sleek and sophisticated.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited
By jons2 on 07/30/11 08:19 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If your looking for a fuel efficient full size car, this is it. We bought our Sonata last year based on consumer reviews and now have +17K miles on it. We just drove it on a 3000 mile tour of New England and averaged over 35 mpg with mostly highway driving, at 75 mph....close to 600 miles p/fill up. Truly amazing!!!! Even thru the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire, it had plenty of get up and go when I needed it. The combination of the direct fuel injection, the 6 spd tranny and the aerodynamics I believe is the key factor for the performance of this car. My wife has been able to achieve close to 30 MPG in suburban driving back and forth to work.

Sonata Stalls on the Road
By ddelong1 on 07/02/11 05:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my new Sonata 2.0T in the middle of June and just loved it until this week. We were coming to a stop and the car stalled out and we coasted to the stop. I noticed that there were 2 warning lights on - engine and another one. The car was idling but there was not throttle response. Nothing. I turned it off and then restarted it. Now only the engine light was on and the throttle had response. The dealer found codes 2118 & 2110 but couldn't find the problem. They just erased the codes. This is a safety item for sure. If I was on the highway and this happened, we could have been rear ended. This car had less than 1500 kms. Beware!

2011 Sonata Turbo - Inherent Rattle that Hyundai says is expected.
By kappamerc on 06/29/11 19:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car is fantastic with one minor flaw that you may run into: The car Rattles when going between 2000-3500 RPM. There is a TSB from Hyundai stating that the rattle is expected and they won't fix it: During normal engine operation, natural engine vibrations are transmitted to the turbocharger waste gate actuator rod, the pivot point, and the waste gate valve. The rattle or buzzing sound that may occur results from the required tolerances in the waste gate pivot point and the waste gate valve. These tolerances are necessary to allow operation under the extreme operating temperatures experienced by the turbocharger. This is unacceptable. I hate that I bought this car.

Previous Maxima Owner
By kytoepro on 05/23/11 10:04 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My previous three cars have been Nissan Maximas. And while I have been satisfied with the ride and dependability of that car, I felt like I wanted something different. After reading all of the reviews and having test drives of some pretty good competitors, I chose the Sonata turbo. To me, the interior is as nice as the Mercedes C300 and nicer than the Lexus IS250 that I tested. The price was unbelievable for all of the options that I got (Limited, Turbo, nav system, Nitrogen filled tires). My purchasing experience was excellent and the warranty is great. I have had the car three days and it performs beautifully. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Hard to beat for the money
By juscruisin on 05/09/11 08:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first luxury sedan in my 33 years of driving. My wife said it was time for me to get a "grown up" car as I've been into performance cars my entire life. I thought I'd hate it, but after 2 months am I glad I listened to her. The electric power steering is a little strange to get used to, but that's one of my few complaints. Above 40MPH this things way faster than you would expect. My last car (Dodge SRT-4) didn't even have cruise, so all these creature comforts are taking some getting used to. I'm a pretty agressive driver and yet my overall fuel mileage is staying around 25mpg. I could have spent a lot more, but I'm glad I gave Hyundai a chance.

Initial thoughts...
By atlantabcs on 04/14/11 21:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just purchased the Limited 2.0T model tonight... put 75 miles on it and must say I like it. The car is quiet, smooth, peppy and is averaging about 26 mpg so far in a mix of driving. Love the bluetooth interface and all the luxury items you get with the Limited trim. I think someone said headroom was tight in this car in some review...not true. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of head and leg room. Do wish it had memory seats though. I still think it's the best bang for the buck on the market...hands down. I'll update again after I've driven it for 6 to 12 months and we'll see if anything changes.

Test Drove and Loved!
By bsavoie93 on 03/21/11 19:19 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I went and test drove this car today. Immediately when I sat in it, it was incredibly comfortable. I'm 6'4" and there is more than enough room and the seats are perfect. It took no time at all for me to find a comfortable driving position unlike most other cars I've driven or drive where it takes several times of driving to get comfortable. The acceleration with the 2.0 Turbo is fantastic, I barely tapped the gas and I was at 80. It rode so well down the road. The car also has a strong and solid feel. Now since I've only test drove it and don't own one YET I'm not sure how reliability is. I'm sure its fine since all the other reviews haven't said anything too bad, but only time will tell.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$114 per month*