Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2011 SONATA GLS 88K MILES EMVINE SEIZED
By Melissa

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Besides the countless amount of recalls. Two weeks ago driving in the highway the car engine seized no warning signs at all. Thank goodness i was able to get the car off to the side w 2 children in the car. The warranty doesn't cover it because I'm the 2nd owner. Which is frustrating bc the internet is full of the same compliant. Damn even the mechanic said it was the 4th one he seen in a month same issue. Obviously its a defect Hyundai should stand up and help their customers. Car is sitting at dealers and I still owe 2 more years

1 Year FollowUp - NY/NJ Driver (mixed hw/city)
By kososs

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am at my 1 year mark and ~ 15K miles. I have noticed no deterioration in performance. Have not been in shop other than 3 oil changes with my mechanic (I was told not to go by the book for oil changes, I am using synthetic and change every 4.5K instead of book's 7.5K). I drive to work in a carpool, drive my 4 year old to day care and take it weekend shopping. No problems with inertia front or back. No problem with seat fabric or plastics.

6 speed MT is fun with enough power to make it go, have not lost any negotiations so far within the class - rain or shine. Love the Bluetooth. connect my smart phone and listen to Pandora radio or watch Netflix (while waiting). Load my Costco shopping into the trunk with space to spare. My carpool buddies never complain about space or comfort even though they drive premium sedans

Trunk lead with smaller mechanism (pneumatic) back of rear seats to open from inside modular internment systems which could be upgraded (want Pandora in my radio) 12v power on the back seat and trunk

Good Car
By kosos

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Use: commuter Load: 3 person totaling ~650 lb, avg 6 ft Distance: ~360 Miles per week Road: NY/NJ 80% highway Comfort: Good fit, lots of room, seats could be better but strangely I (driver) feel more comfortable now than when I first bought it. Passengers have not complained. Ergonomics: Excellent. I only do not like trunk/gas release buttons. They should be lit or redesigned. Performance: Must watch your speed, car cruises at 90+. I drive hard and no body roll, under/over steer, break fatigue or other common problems. Manual is great, 3rd gear could be stronger. Entertainment: remember this is stock. I like it if you do not blast it.

Outside of car's performance the best feature is the blue tooth audio. I like Pandora and my own mp3 lib so 90% of the time i am streaming from my cell. BT Audio works very well. I used $8 phone holder attached to the driver side vent (next to radio) You can control each air vent (important for carpool). I am sure there is more which i do not notice since got used to them.

In my prior car I could release steering wheel on almost any straight. Here any road imperfection causes the car to steer itself a little. It could be tires. Once again it got better or i got used to it, but do not notice it as much anymore. Trunk and Gas release should be more intuitive/lit. More options on MT model!

Practical comparision
By easycheez

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

We needed a new family sedan. Researching new car w/3 criteria: price, roominess, and MPG. After comparing compact sedans, the Elantra was 1st pick due to MPG. We drove the Sonata, too. The price difference was enough to consider mid-size due to roominess. It was a toss up between the Sonata and the Ford Fusion. The scales tipped to favor the Sonata vs Fusion by: price, roominess, MPG, and the best warranty. We've driven our Sonata from Cleveland to Pittsburgh and back. Average MPG hwy: 34.7 @ 75MPH. Average city/mixed MPG 27.8 @ 43 MPH ave; close to EPA rating. Only bad thing I can say about this car is road noise gets noticeable around 45 MPH and blind spots thru back window.

Interior is spacious enough to fit my 6'2" frame in the drivers seat comfortably with enough room in the back for a child seat and another adult. Rides smooth at every speed: On highway and winding hilly roads. Clutch pedal is soft enough NOT to tire my leg while stuck in city rush hour traffic. Shifts smooth; the car indicates shift points at ~2000 RPM (for best MPG, I suppose) but there is plenty of pep while shifting between ~3000-4000 RPM. The seats are comfortable and the cabin layout and controls are easy to use and it really does feel like a more expensive car.

The steering, while has a nice soft feel and I have no real complaint about, reminds me of older full-sized cars that "float" down the road. Personally, I'd prefer steering that feels a little bit more tuned and responsive.

GLS 6MT
By dunmiffsys

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Overall this is an an amazing car and an excellent value. I drive 400 to 500 miles a week on average and it is very comfortable and gets great gas mileage for the size. I am on my 7th tank of gas and averaging 31-32mpg. Gas mileage goes down quite a bit when speeds exceed 65 and I have gotten 35+ when driving 55-65mph with the cruise control on. Road noise is pretty low most of the time but the low rolling resistance tires can be rather loud on rough road surfaces. For the price this car is an amazing value and is fun to drive and very practical.

Bluetooth, XM satellite radio, MPG, styling. The engine has excellent power when needed.

The suspension is very stiff and bumps and potholes can be very noticeable, especially at higher speeds. MPG computer is consistently higher than actual MPG by 1-3 mpg on each tank. I personally find that the IPOD interface on the GLS is not very intuitive and is difficult to use while driving. Tires are very loud on rougher road surfaces.