2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
1 Year FollowUp - NY/NJ Driver (mixed hw/city)
By kososs on 03/09/12 12:46 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am at my 1 year mark and ~ 15K miles. I have noticed no deterioration in performance. Have not been in shop other than 3 oil changes with my mechanic (I was told not to go by the book for oil changes, I am using synthetic and change every 4.5K instead of book's 7.5K). I drive to work in a carpool, drive my 4 year old to day care and take it weekend shopping. No problems with inertia front or back. No problem with seat fabric or plastics.

Good Car
By kosos on 10/07/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Use: commuter Load: 3 person totaling ~650 lb, avg 6 ft Distance: ~360 Miles per week Road: NY/NJ 80% highway Comfort: Good fit, lots of room, seats could be better but strangely I (driver) feel more comfortable now than when I first bought it. Passengers have not complained. Ergonomics: Excellent. I only do not like trunk/gas release buttons. They should be lit or redesigned. Performance: Must watch your speed, car cruises at 90+. I drive hard and no body roll, under/over steer, break fatigue or other common problems. Manual is great, 3rd gear could be stronger. Entertainment: remember this is stock. I like it if you do not blast it.

Practical comparision
By easycheez on 06/02/11 07:58 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

We needed a new family sedan. Researching new car w/3 criteria: price, roominess, and MPG. After comparing compact sedans, the Elantra was 1st pick due to MPG. We drove the Sonata, too. The price difference was enough to consider mid-size due to roominess. It was a toss up between the Sonata and the Ford Fusion. The scales tipped to favor the Sonata vs Fusion by: price, roominess, MPG, and the best warranty. We've driven our Sonata from Cleveland to Pittsburgh and back. Average MPG hwy: 34.7 @ 75MPH. Average city/mixed MPG 27.8 @ 43 MPH ave; close to EPA rating. Only bad thing I can say about this car is road noise gets noticeable around 45 MPH and blind spots thru back window.

GLS 6MT
By dunmiffsys on 05/03/11 06:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Overall this is an an amazing car and an excellent value. I drive 400 to 500 miles a week on average and it is very comfortable and gets great gas mileage for the size. I am on my 7th tank of gas and averaging 31-32mpg. Gas mileage goes down quite a bit when speeds exceed 65 and I have gotten 35+ when driving 55-65mph with the cruise control on. Road noise is pretty low most of the time but the low rolling resistance tires can be rather loud on rough road surfaces. For the price this car is an amazing value and is fun to drive and very practical.

Disappointed with 2011 Sonata GLS
By VIV 55 on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Car is attractive, spacious and standard bluetooth is appealing. However there is little else to celebrate. Steering is poor: It vibrates on uneven road surface, makes odd sounds on deep turns. Steering feels unstable and unsafe. Engine rattle/vibration when in slow traffic. Low power on inclines; car slides back before going forward.

Its not what you think
By Ray on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

The 4 cyl is underpowered. Rough idle. Needs a 6 cyl engine. Honda Accord or GM 6 cyl make this look sick. Don't waste your money.

I love Hyundai's
By pwedding on 08/22/10 11:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I traded my 2009 Sonata in for a 2011 Sonata, it had 15,350 miles I love the Sonata I read everything i could find on the new Sonata, and got a very good deal, plus a loyal customer discount of 500.00 and they paid off the 2009 with money left over. I love the engine and handling looks are impeccable, the paint job on the new Sonata is better than the 2009. The only thing i don't care for is the different tires I miss my Michelin tires a lot quieter. MPG is great I tried it at 70mph with a/c on and cruise got 43 MPG. Also got the dealer option of the 5 year oil and rotation for $150.00 if oil goes up that's a deal

Our 10th Hyundai
By nj2pa2nc on 08/13/10 05:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

While having our 05 Hyundai Elantra serviced we looked at the new sonata. There was a venetian red 6MT one. After test driving it we traded in our elantra for it. Love it so far.

Our 10th hyundai
By nj2pa2nc on 08/10/10 13:45 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Traded in our 05 Hyundai Elantra gt for a 2011 Venetian red 6mt sonata. Loving it after 2 weeks.

Love it!
By michele on 08/06/10 13:25 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I went to the dealer to get a free oil change on my 2009 Sonata. While I was waiting I started looking at the 2011's. I instantly fell in love with the new body style and interior. Well, one hour later, I signed the papers. Two hours later I was driving it off the lot! I really loved my 2009, but the 2011 has it beat. What a gorgeous car. It has more standard equipment than the 2009 such as blue tooth, autodim mirror w/ homelink for garage door opener and compass, The radio, blue tooth, trip meter and cruise controls are all on steering wheel. Cloth seats that prevent staining (even oil stains), cargo net in trunk, outside temp. The car runs beautifully. It's a real eye catcher.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$126 per month*