Good car, with caveats
By bdbarth1 on
2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I purchased this car new in December 2009. Two years and 44,000 miles later, I've got mixed feelings. I commute 65 miles per day (90% hwy) and routinely achieve 33-34 mpg. It's large, comfortable and has been largely trouble-free except for a repainted hood (flaking paint) at 30K and a transmission failure at 39K. Both repairs were covered under warranty. The rebuilt transmission they've installed seems fine, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the car's future. That being said, a new transmission at 39K doesn't give me much confidence. I'm very meticulous on maintenance, so I'm hopeful that'll pay off.
Favorite Features
Roomy, comfortable, conveniently located switchgear on dash, remote audio controls, trunk space, strong performance from a 4-cylinder.
Suggested Improvements
On the whole, the Sonata has been a good car for me, even with the issues I've mentioned. I'd like to see more attention paid to quality control issues, since problems with paint and transmissions seem common on these cars. Hyundai mechanics insist rebuilt transmissions are solid and that I should be able to achieve 200K on this car without problems; I'm optimistic and am hoping I can still do that.