2010 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Sold on a Hyundai Sonata
By Sonata Convert on 01/06/10 13:30 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've driven Toyotas all my life and they've served me well. I thought I'd never buy anything different (except maybe upgrade to a Lexus one day). This time around, I considered less expensive alternatives given the economy and all. I test drove the Hyundai Sonata GLS and it felt very similar to a Camry inside and out. The kicker for me was the price--I paid over $3K less for my Sonata than the lowest quote for a Camry. I remember Hyundai's quality/reliability issues when the entered the US market in the 80s. But the 10year/100k warranty comforted me enough to make the switch. Of course, the Hyundai brand does not get the same respect as Toyota/Honda. But that might change soon.

It's a car that's good at being a car.
By Adam on 01/05/10 15:59 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The 2010 Hyundai Sonata (5th gen) is the car you want to get if you're shopping in the midsize/family car segment. It has what you want for the right price - about $5000 lower than its competitors. The powertrain is responsive, steering is slow but acceptable, the interior and trunk are very roomy, and nothing seems out of place. The exterior isn't too radical and the interior is nicely designed.

A wonderful car
By Steve D. on 01/02/10 09:36 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased my V6 Limited, Black on Black, and am very impressed by this car. I traded an 06 Accord V6 EX-L, arguably the benchmark for the class. The Sonata has a more sophisticated look inside and out than the Honda, and a more refined ride. The Accord was very athletic in it's suspension tuning, but was also harsh at times. The Sonata is lighter on it's feet, more like a dancer than an athlete. The interior is outstanding. Refined elegance is how I would describe it. The designers clearly sweated the details inside and out. The Sonata is tuned towards a luxury feel and look, and for me provided a better balance of style, ride and comfort.

Trashed my Camry and discovered a Gem
By Cameron on 12/04/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had previously owned a 2000 Toyota Camry, what a piece of junk. It was falling apart. Needless to say I was looking for a new car for around 16,000. I am 6'4 and 320lbs, so I needed something roomy. I was not looking for a hyundai but the 4,000 rebate offered on the 2010 sonata, warranted a test drive. I first drove an automatic, but my love of 5 speeds and with a savings of about a grand, I went with a fully loaded GLS manual. I am very pleased with the acceleration and smooth ride. This car has extremely good build quality. My mom's 30,000 dollar Chevy truck has a cheaply made interior compared to my sonata. I find it hard to find any flaws in this car. You just simply cannot beat the price and the options you get for that price. I have put about 1800 miles on my baby, so far. I only spend 30 bucks a week on gas! My only complaint is the creaking noise in the dash on cold days and I think the front leg room could be improved, but I am 6'4, so any car is a tight squeeze for me. I hope to drive this car for 100,000 miles or more. Trust me if you are looking to spend 22,000 on a new camry or accord, go look a a sonata, I bet you'll be sold after the first test drive.

Left Toyota for the Sonata
By Lennie on 11/21/09 07:41 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I went to the Toyota dealership with every intention of buying a Camry, having had one for 10 years. I had already checked out the Sonata previously. After test driving the Camry, I came away convinced the Sonata was the way to go. Everything from the size of the trunk, the cloth on the seats, the style of the dash and the room in the back seat were superior on the Sonata. So I left a very good deal on the Camry and bought the Sonata and havn't regretted it yet. Took a 500 mile round trip already and got 32+ mpg. Ease of use of the controls and their placement a big plus. Car is tight and fun to drive. Great acceleration from the 4- cyl engine. I was hesitant to go Hyundai, don't be.

Great Value
By Mike on 11/15/09 18:20 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After 2200 miles, I am very satisfied with this car. The 4 cylinder has plenty of power for my needs. Fuel economy is impressive for a car its size, 27-29 MPG, mixed driving, in an area with a lot of hills. Very comfortable, great legoom in the back seat for the kids. I will typically keep a car over 100k miles, so low lifetime cost of ownership is a big factor. The 2.4 liter engine has a timing chain, so there are no expensive TB canges to worry about. Auto transmission service interval up to 100k mi.

Quiet, Fun, Cost Efficient
By Steve on 11/04/09 09:48 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Sonata for only a week..I just now filled up the gas tank for the 1st time since I left the dealership. The car drives like it were on butter. Very smooth feel, exceptionally quiet ride. The A/C is powerful and love the dual temp controls. If you like blue, you'll love the dash at night. Sound system is excellent and the gas mileage seems to be about 31 mpg so far. Way above what I anticipated. This car has brought back my love of driving.

A Great Choice For Your $
By Sean on 10/31/09 06:16 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

1 week owned. Researched for over a year and finally bit the bullet. Never thought I'd buy foreign, let alone Hyundai. Looked for '09 but none left. Wife fell in love when we test drove. The trunk is huge. Interior is great, especially gauges at night. Standard sound system has 6 speakers and free XM (3 mos). Plenty of storage. 4cyl has great pick up. Childseat is a breeze to install with 3 point anchor brackets. Still on original tank of gas from dealer and we've been out everyday in it. Dealer even threw in dinner and heated seats. $1,000 rebate didnt hurt. Clearly beats Fusion and Accord on price and options for the $. Best overall value for your money.

Exactly What I Wanted - First Review
By Kyle on 10/19/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing this review after having the Sonata for one week, I will add another review at a later date. I got a steal on this car - ended up getting it for $4000 under MSRP. I upgraded from a 2002 Sentra, and have been very surprised by how nice this car feels. I feel safer while driving it, and it performs well. I am happy with the 4 cyl., esp. when considering the savings on gas. The interior is nicely laid-out - not cheap like other base models. It is well put-together and feels solid. It drives as good as a Camry or Accord, but costs THOUSANDS less. Decent enough dealer experience as well - they let us barter and we got more for our trad-in because of it.

Fun to Drive
By Dave on 10/17/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is by far the best car Hyundai has put out in its class. It is very quite inside, has a very smooth ride, and is very roomy. You get a lot for your buck!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Hyundai Sonata in WA is:

$157 per month*