Used 2010 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2010 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

perfect sales rep. vehicle
By hantover

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Sonata new 2 1/2 years ago. Currently have 94,000 miles on her. High miles due to my profession as a sales rep. covering 5 states. Only one problem was a check engine light at around 40K - dealer said it was some problem with the fuel cap. No problems since. Routinely get 32 mpg highway. I have owned 32 cars since 1977. This one and Honda Accords have been the best for ride, comfort, gas mileage, and reliability. Left the sales rep. job 8 months ago, so I won't be driving the usual 50K per year. I intend to keep this one for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats XM Radio Gas Mileage Responsive engine and transmission Original Michelin tires got 75k miles before needing to be replaced.

Faulty Brakes
By pas7

2010 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Sonata that i owned. The first was a 2007 and the brakes and rotors needed changing at 45000 miles, at the first service the tech said that the brakes would not release, warantee work cost $75. When I got the next one a 2010 I was told that the brake system was corrected, now at 22000 miles I had to change the pads and rotors. LAST HYUNDAI I WILL OWN. Pads and rotors from Amazon cost $88 Delivered. The h... with the dealer.

Good car, with caveats
By bdbarth1

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in December 2009. Two years and 44,000 miles later, I've got mixed feelings. I commute 65 miles per day (90% hwy) and routinely achieve 33-34 mpg. It's large, comfortable and has been largely trouble-free except for a repainted hood (flaking paint) at 30K and a transmission failure at 39K. Both repairs were covered under warranty. The rebuilt transmission they've installed seems fine, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the car's future. That being said, a new transmission at 39K doesn't give me much confidence. I'm very meticulous on maintenance, so I'm hopeful that'll pay off.

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfortable, conveniently located switchgear on dash, remote audio controls, trunk space, strong performance from a 4-cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

On the whole, the Sonata has been a good car for me, even with the issues I've mentioned. I'd like to see more attention paid to quality control issues, since problems with paint and transmissions seem common on these cars. Hyundai mechanics insist rebuilt transmissions are solid and that I should be able to achieve 200K on this car without problems; I'm optimistic and am hoping I can still do that.

Trial and error car
By greeneyedraven

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is the first foreign car we have purchased. We chose it based on statistics and very affordable price. We have owned it over 2 years and while a good car, not overly impressed. Still giving it time to see what happens. I have yet to get the gas mileage reviews quote. I average 22-26 mpg.

Favorite Features

Roomy, plenty of trunk space. Warranty is great. Waiting to see down the road if it is honored or if I get tossed aside on some technicality in fine print.

Suggested Improvements

Climate and radio volume controls can drive me crazy some days. The volume jumps between 4-5 too much. I am ALWAYS CLEANING THE WINDSHIELD. Reminds me of a leak in the heater core on old cars. Carpet is thin and cheap. Car has always pulled to the right. At the dealership ...."drift is normal". Not sure if transmission is slipping or breaks catching. But no smooth deceleration. Jerky. Trunk weatherstripping came unglued the first month. Door handle fell apart at 26 months- warranty did fix it promptly. Apparently another design flaw....so expect others to fall apart as well in the future

Excellent car!!!!
By kytim

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I now have 17, 000 miles on my Sonata. It is a great performer. I have owned Honda's, Nissan's, Chevy's and Mazda's in the past. The Hyundai's quality, ride and performance is equal and better than the competitors(in my opinion). I rent cars to save miles and I always enjoy coming home to my Sonata!!!

Favorite Features

The car is loaded with plenty of standard features. Gas mileage is better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

The model was changed for 2011. I might not call the new model 'improved'. I like the modest style of the 2010.