Used 2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

My first Hyundai - A Great Automobile.
By dlp6

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car handles well in all weather conditions. Comfortable to drive. Good visibility. Lots of room when rear seats folded down. Car has good balance, low tire wear. I have 128,000 km on rear tires and don't have to change them yet. Front tires changed at 115,000 km. No problems from new - One warranty issue to have transmission re-programmed - solved rough shifting that had developed. Quiet on both city roads and highway. Dash is great, easy to read, and controls very accessible. Almost feels like a full size car inside. Have purchased 2013 Sonata GLS and have kept 2010 as a second car. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

2010 had some design changes from prior yrs, Good looking auto. Good steering and braking. Lots of room in front and back seats for tall people. Rear seats fold down and yield large storage area. Trunk has easy access for larger items.

Suggested Improvements

Seat bottoms a little soft for sport model. Firmer seating would be a plus. Could use stiffer springs on doors. If park on a slight grade doors have a tendency to not stay open fully and close on you when you are trying to enter or exit car. No other improvements suggested.

Here's hoping
By federale46

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car since March of 2010, and most of the time, it is trouble free, but there are quirks that make me think of turning it in. I commute 82 miles a day, and have 61K on the car. Everything was fine for the first 30k miles. Then, it developed a problem with the fuel tank where it wouldn't take gas, and this took the dealer a month to resolve. Then, the transmission started thumping. The dealer did a reset twice and replaced the fluid, but the thumping started again at 59K. The dealer says they will replace the transmission if they find the condition again, but the problem is that the thumping comes and goes, and when its time to take it to the dealer, the thumping stops.

Favorite Features

The car is pleasant looking enough, and I am still on the original brake pads. The fuel economy is pretty good. The power is more than adequate.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable fuel system, better transmission, use of standard fluids like trans fluid and coolant.

perfect sales rep. vehicle
By hantover

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Sonata new 2 1/2 years ago. Currently have 94,000 miles on her. High miles due to my profession as a sales rep. covering 5 states. Only one problem was a check engine light at around 40K - dealer said it was some problem with the fuel cap. No problems since. Routinely get 32 mpg highway. I have owned 32 cars since 1977. This one and Honda Accords have been the best for ride, comfort, gas mileage, and reliability. Left the sales rep. job 8 months ago, so I won't be driving the usual 50K per year. I intend to keep this one for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats XM Radio Gas Mileage Responsive engine and transmission Original Michelin tires got 75k miles before needing to be replaced.

Excellent car!!!!
By kytim

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I now have 17, 000 miles on my Sonata. It is a great performer. I have owned Honda's, Nissan's, Chevy's and Mazda's in the past. The Hyundai's quality, ride and performance is equal and better than the competitors(in my opinion). I rent cars to save miles and I always enjoy coming home to my Sonata!!!

Favorite Features

The car is loaded with plenty of standard features. Gas mileage is better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

The model was changed for 2011. I might not call the new model 'improved'. I like the modest style of the 2010.

Car Failed At High Speeds
By Mary

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My Sonata has been great for the 8 months I owned it until last week. While driving at 65 mph on a highway, the car died, completely shut down. Nothing I could do but wait to be hit from behind, which I was. The dealer inspected the car and told me the battery cable connection was very loose which probably caused the problem. The car lost its power connection. Today I learned that this may have been a dealer error as the car battery is charged just prior to turning it over to the buyer, and no maintenance on the car in these 8 months would have involved doing anything to this cable. Dealer won't take any responsibility. Another case of screwing the consumer. I could have been killed.