2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2010 Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Sort Reviews by

My first Hyundai - A Great Automobile.
By dlp6

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car handles well in all weather conditions. Comfortable to drive. Good visibility. Lots of room when rear seats folded down. Car has good balance, low tire wear. I have 128,000 km on rear tires and don't have to change them yet. Front tires changed at 115,000 km. No problems from new - One warranty issue to have transmission re-programmed - solved rough shifting that had developed. Quiet on both city roads and highway. Dash is great, easy to read, and controls very accessible. Almost feels like a full size car inside. Have purchased 2013 Sonata GLS and have kept 2010 as a second car. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

2010 had some design changes from prior yrs, Good looking auto. Good steering and braking. Lots of room in front and back seats for tall people. Rear seats fold down and yield large storage area. Trunk has easy access for larger items.

Suggested Improvements

Seat bottoms a little soft for sport model. Firmer seating would be a plus. Could use stiffer springs on doors. If park on a slight grade doors have a tendency to not stay open fully and close on you when you are trying to enter or exit car. No other improvements suggested.

Broken door handle, door lock, fuel cap and counting..
By raka1212

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was excited initially with the value of the car but after four years I am now wondering. First problem I had was with engine light code 442, went to dealer two times but they keep claiming it is a loose fuel cap issue. I am making sure the cap is tight after every fill and even changed cap with new oem cap still this issue is persistent. Then I had one remote door lock issue which was fixed with a new lock. Now I have one broken door handle. When I searched about door handle, it was surprised to know that it is a known issue with this car as the door handles are made of cheap plastic not metal like other car and easily breaks. Not sure if I will consider Hyundai brand again.

Favorite Features

Bang for the bucks. You get lot of standard features with less cost.

Suggested Improvements

Access to oil filter, Build quality, Reliability..... and Dealership service. Dealership don't stock many parts and simple problem becomes multiple visits to dealership. I am in a market for new car and most likely stay away from Hyundai brand due to their reliability, built quality and service issues.

Here's hoping
By federale46

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car since March of 2010, and most of the time, it is trouble free, but there are quirks that make me think of turning it in. I commute 82 miles a day, and have 61K on the car. Everything was fine for the first 30k miles. Then, it developed a problem with the fuel tank where it wouldn't take gas, and this took the dealer a month to resolve. Then, the transmission started thumping. The dealer did a reset twice and replaced the fluid, but the thumping started again at 59K. The dealer says they will replace the transmission if they find the condition again, but the problem is that the thumping comes and goes, and when its time to take it to the dealer, the thumping stops.

Favorite Features

The car is pleasant looking enough, and I am still on the original brake pads. The fuel economy is pretty good. The power is more than adequate.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable fuel system, better transmission, use of standard fluids like trans fluid and coolant.

Door Handles
By yorkies5

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2010 Hyundai Sonata and it sucks. 3 of the car door handles have broken off in the last month. They will not pay for them. I have read other reviews and this is a on going problem. Hyundai tried to say they haven't heard of this before. But I guess they haven't read the reviews. I will never buy another on. my son has a 2008 and he has had many other problems. Alternator is only one of the problems he has had with him.

Suggested Improvements

Take care of your customers. And fix the door handle problems

Poor Quality Car
By ra123

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The mileage of the car will drop significantly. The door handles will snap in cold temperatures and will not be covered and will cost the consumer dearly

Favorite Features

Nothing except leg and head room

Suggested Improvements

Entire Quality

perfect sales rep. vehicle
By hantover

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Sonata new 2 1/2 years ago. Currently have 94,000 miles on her. High miles due to my profession as a sales rep. covering 5 states. Only one problem was a check engine light at around 40K - dealer said it was some problem with the fuel cap. No problems since. Routinely get 32 mpg highway. I have owned 32 cars since 1977. This one and Honda Accords have been the best for ride, comfort, gas mileage, and reliability. Left the sales rep. job 8 months ago, so I won't be driving the usual 50K per year. I intend to keep this one for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats XM Radio Gas Mileage Responsive engine and transmission Original Michelin tires got 75k miles before needing to be replaced.

Faulty Brakes
By pas7

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Sonata that i owned. The first was a 2007 and the brakes and rotors needed changing at 45000 miles, at the first service the tech said that the brakes would not release, warantee work cost $75. When I got the next one a 2010 I was told that the brake system was corrected, now at 22000 miles I had to change the pads and rotors. LAST HYUNDAI I WILL OWN. Pads and rotors from Amazon cost $88 Delivered. The h... with the dealer.

Good car, with caveats
By bdbarth1

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in December 2009. Two years and 44,000 miles later, I've got mixed feelings. I commute 65 miles per day (90% hwy) and routinely achieve 33-34 mpg. It's large, comfortable and has been largely trouble-free except for a repainted hood (flaking paint) at 30K and a transmission failure at 39K. Both repairs were covered under warranty. The rebuilt transmission they've installed seems fine, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the car's future. That being said, a new transmission at 39K doesn't give me much confidence. I'm very meticulous on maintenance, so I'm hopeful that'll pay off.

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfortable, conveniently located switchgear on dash, remote audio controls, trunk space, strong performance from a 4-cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

On the whole, the Sonata has been a good car for me, even with the issues I've mentioned. I'd like to see more attention paid to quality control issues, since problems with paint and transmissions seem common on these cars. Hyundai mechanics insist rebuilt transmissions are solid and that I should be able to achieve 200K on this car without problems; I'm optimistic and am hoping I can still do that.

Trial and error car
By greeneyedraven

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is the first foreign car we have purchased. We chose it based on statistics and very affordable price. We have owned it over 2 years and while a good car, not overly impressed. Still giving it time to see what happens. I have yet to get the gas mileage reviews quote. I average 22-26 mpg.

Favorite Features

Roomy, plenty of trunk space. Warranty is great. Waiting to see down the road if it is honored or if I get tossed aside on some technicality in fine print.

Suggested Improvements

Climate and radio volume controls can drive me crazy some days. The volume jumps between 4-5 too much. I am ALWAYS CLEANING THE WINDSHIELD. Reminds me of a leak in the heater core on old cars. Carpet is thin and cheap. Car has always pulled to the right. At the dealership ...."drift is normal". Not sure if transmission is slipping or breaks catching. But no smooth deceleration. Jerky. Trunk weatherstripping came unglued the first month. Door handle fell apart at 26 months- warranty did fix it promptly. Apparently another design flaw....so expect others to fall apart as well in the future

Excellent car!!!!
By kytim

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I now have 17, 000 miles on my Sonata. It is a great performer. I have owned Honda's, Nissan's, Chevy's and Mazda's in the past. The Hyundai's quality, ride and performance is equal and better than the competitors(in my opinion). I rent cars to save miles and I always enjoy coming home to my Sonata!!!

Favorite Features

The car is loaded with plenty of standard features. Gas mileage is better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

The model was changed for 2011. I might not call the new model 'improved'. I like the modest style of the 2010.