Used 2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

good car except door handles
By Steve H

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just wanted to add my experience to the list. Have had 2 outside door handles break off. Owned maybe 20 cars in 45 years, never had one door handle break off until this one. Have trouble reading the clock in the daylight.

My first Hyundai - A Great Automobile.
By dlp6

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car handles well in all weather conditions. Comfortable to drive. Good visibility. Lots of room when rear seats folded down. Car has good balance, low tire wear. I have 128,000 km on rear tires and don't have to change them yet. Front tires changed at 115,000 km. No problems from new - One warranty issue to have transmission re-programmed - solved rough shifting that had developed. Quiet on both city roads and highway. Dash is great, easy to read, and controls very accessible. Almost feels like a full size car inside. Have purchased 2013 Sonata GLS and have kept 2010 as a second car. Very reliable.

2010 had some design changes from prior yrs, Good looking auto. Good steering and braking. Lots of room in front and back seats for tall people. Rear seats fold down and yield large storage area. Trunk has easy access for larger items.

Seat bottoms a little soft for sport model. Firmer seating would be a plus. Could use stiffer springs on doors. If park on a slight grade doors have a tendency to not stay open fully and close on you when you are trying to enter or exit car. No other improvements suggested.

Broken door handle, door lock, fuel cap and counting..
By raka1212

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was excited initially with the value of the car but after four years I am now wondering. First problem I had was with engine light code 442, went to dealer two times but they keep claiming it is a loose fuel cap issue. I am making sure the cap is tight after every fill and even changed cap with new oem cap still this issue is persistent. Then I had one remote door lock issue which was fixed with a new lock. Now I have one broken door handle. When I searched about door handle, it was surprised to know that it is a known issue with this car as the door handles are made of cheap plastic not metal like other car and easily breaks. Not sure if I will consider Hyundai brand again.

Bang for the bucks. You get lot of standard features with less cost.

Access to oil filter, Build quality, Reliability..... and Dealership service. Dealership don't stock many parts and simple problem becomes multiple visits to dealership. I am in a market for new car and most likely stay away from Hyundai brand due to their reliability, built quality and service issues.

Here's hoping
By federale46

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car since March of 2010, and most of the time, it is trouble free, but there are quirks that make me think of turning it in. I commute 82 miles a day, and have 61K on the car. Everything was fine for the first 30k miles. Then, it developed a problem with the fuel tank where it wouldn't take gas, and this took the dealer a month to resolve. Then, the transmission started thumping. The dealer did a reset twice and replaced the fluid, but the thumping started again at 59K. The dealer says they will replace the transmission if they find the condition again, but the problem is that the thumping comes and goes, and when its time to take it to the dealer, the thumping stops.

The car is pleasant looking enough, and I am still on the original brake pads. The fuel economy is pretty good. The power is more than adequate.

More reliable fuel system, better transmission, use of standard fluids like trans fluid and coolant.

Door Handles
By yorkies5

2010 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2010 Hyundai Sonata and it sucks. 3 of the car door handles have broken off in the last month. They will not pay for them. I have read other reviews and this is a on going problem. Hyundai tried to say they haven't heard of this before. But I guess they haven't read the reviews. I will never buy another on. my son has a 2008 and he has had many other problems. Alternator is only one of the problems he has had with him.

Take care of your customers. And fix the door handle problems