Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Safe, Great Car, did I mention Safe?
By Rob M

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The best car for the dollars, bar none. I had it for two months and then was rear ended by a full size Chevy pickup. Yes, I had some damage but the active headrest moved forward for both my wife and I and despite the impact from the speed of the Chevy we were FINE. I drive this car 96 miles per day and it is economical, reliable, comfortable and, did I mention, safe. Room for my 6+ ft sons in the back. GM has lost me to Hyundai, the only thing I don't like is that mine looks dowdy next to the new ones, very sharp. I have owned dozens of cars in my life and this is the very best for the money spent..a great value.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, Safe, Safe, Safe, Economical, good ergonomics, comfortable seats, quick/nimble steering at speed. Good pick-up

Suggested Improvements

A bit dowdy looking next to the 2011 model.

throttle and tranny problems
By Ned

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 30,000mi. Since about 5,000mi. the transmission sometimes kicks down two gears when lightly applying the brakes. results in a startling heavy thump & deceleration. the throttle has stuck open both on the open highway and in town resulting in scary moments. Had to throw it in neutral and shut the key off then turn the key back on without using the starter, throw it back into drive . engine started back up like nothing ever happened. Doesn't happen often but when it does WOW! dealership has no clue to the cause. said no one else has reported that problem. Wish it had outside temp info. other then this, what a great car ! handles like a sports car, gets 31mpg in cruise from a V6 250 hp

Favorite Features

powerful engine, great gas mileage, nice sounding audio system, great handling, comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

outside temperature info and multiple cd changer

Throttle problems
By Ned

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My throttle has stuck on multiple occasions. Dealership has no idea of cause. I have eliminated cruise control and floor mat possibilities. The automatic transmission occasionally drops down two gears at a time causing a sudden deceleration and alarming thump when letting of gas and gently applying brakes. other than this, it is the best car I have ever owned. Incredible gas mileage when using cruise control and gasoline without ethanol. (31 mpg) from a 260 hp v6. Handles like a sports car. rides like a caddy.

Suggested Improvements

head rests are uncomfortable needs outside temp & compass info

Great car, great value
By JasonPorter

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dealership loaner car with 4.5K miles to be used as Daily Driver. I had my eye on a Sonata since they changed the body style, but never made the jump until the interior upgrade. Hyundai has come a *long* way in 10 years - major kudos! Fit and finish is first class for the price and the warranty is amazing - this is a company that actively sought to make a car to pounce on Toyota and Honda buyers and succeeded. V6 rated at 'only' 249 HP, but if you think you need more in a FWD car...you probably shouldn't be looking for a FWD car! If someone told me in 2000 I would one day choose to buy a Hyundai, I'd have laughed. Now though, I'm glad I did - major props for an *excellent* product!

Favorite Features

Very well-though-out center console controls. I like cars of the mid-to-late 90's, and appreciate the buttons for each function, rather than a generic touch-sensitive telepathic multi-knob for everything that some brands flaunt these days. Interior finish on-par with cars costing $10k+ more.

Suggested Improvements

Wished the Manual-mode shifter held gears while decelerating rather than dropping as speed slowed, but not a huge deal if you pay attention. Would like to see a V6 option on 2012 models, unlike the solo engine offered at the time of this review. All future models should come with a free cookie.

Good Car
By Punumscott

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A solid performer. 14,000 miles and no real problems. Have experienced same minor issues mentioned by other owners such as squeaky dash/window and unusual/rough gear changing with auto transmission. Handling is a little loose and suspension is a little rough and noisy. Random feature on infinity sound system has an irritating software flaw that causes it to play the same songs over and over again. On the positive side system sounds great.

Favorite Features

GPS system and USB port for music. Large enclosed storage bins in dash.

Suggested Improvements

Daytime running lights. More high tech dash display. Include bluetooth with all GPS equipped models. Quieter interior without squeaky dash.