2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews 5

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Great Car..You can't ask for more
By rmiller on 02/16/10 20:29 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Had to trade my '02 Celica and did a lot of research.Found my Sonata w/30k miles and can't believe what a great car it is. I'm 54 and have owned about 20 cars, foreign and domestic and love this one. First trip was 200 miles thru a blizzard and it soldiered right thru,nary a twitch. The four cylinder engine has plenty of power and gets close to 40 mpg. Electronic stability control, supportive seats, satellite radio, plenty of airbags, smooth/quiet ride and lots of room. What more can you ask for? My friends who own Accords and Camrys were stunned...especially when they found out how much more they spent.

Nice Car!
By driver on 02/05/10 22:59 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It is a very nice car! I have been driving for more than 10k. no problem!! very reliable. Better than 'pedal' Camry :)

So-so car
By Steve on 02/05/10 20:17 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The ride is smooth and the fuel economy is good. So far it has been very dependable, but I don't like the transmission. At times it should downshift, and it doesn't. Other times, while cruising on the interstate, it will downshift for the slightest incline. I have had this car for a year now, and it is starting to develop rattles in the dashboard. I am struggling with the dealer to fix them. I get the feeling that Hyundai is not built with the attention to detail that other, more expensive cars are. This is the first Hyundai I have owned. I would recommend it to a friend (pros outweigh the cons), but remind them that they are buying a cheap car, and not to get their expectations too high.

Serene Machine
By tucsoncharley on 02/01/10 14:46 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Reluctantly traded my 2003 Corolla for missing safety features needed for crosstown commute to a new job. Imagine getting four wheel antilock disc brakes,traction control,stability control,six air bags,active head restraints,Michelin tires,"big car" feel and ride for under $12,000 with trade. City mpg steady at 27 and getting 38 to 40 on Arizona interstates with light foot(under 75 mph). What was the last car you owned when you smiled each time you got behind the wheel? I could not be happier with my Sonata's value, quality, and comfort.

Catch 22
By Blue Kaz on 01/26/10 18:52 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Hyundai (1st was 2001 Elantra). I have learned one thing: You either get a great car with your average annoyances or a piece of garbage. My 1st Hyundai was the latter. It was as useful as a paperweight with wheels, but this one hasn't been awful. I bought it because the price was right (kind of) but I got and extra 5y/50Km (total 10y/100Km) BUMPER TO BUMPER for $1000, so I figured whatever went wrong was their problem. This one is fun enough for me to drive (I practically live next door to work), is comfortable on road trips and has given me great gas mileage (26 city/30 hwy). Read the manual about the "break-in" tips and FOLLOW IT!

1+ years later...
By Randy on 01/20/10 16:14 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had my SE-V6 for a year and a half and clocked just over 23,000 miles. I'm still happy with it, no problems whatsoever (mechanical, body, or electrical). I read others have had problems. Did I just get lucky? I average 21mpg in the city and 32-33 on the highway (mostly 70-75mph); I really like the fact that I can travel over 500 miles on the freeway on one tank (made it from Las Vegas to Stockton, well over 500 miles).

Didn't buy a Lexus
By Test Driver on 01/20/10 10:02 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Having driven the Sonata for less than a month and married with 3 kids, this car seems to deliver. Most of the cars I owned were Toyota but with the worse economy since the depression, Hyundai is right for our budget. I would suggest to visually check every nook and cranny before signing. this car is roomy and interior design is up to par, the dash board placement of gauges and knobs are intuitive. Great gas mileage. No buyers remorse yet, update you all next year.

Great choice.
By Ron In Springtown on 01/16/10 20:54 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in 05 Maxima SE for this car. Am not disappointed in the least little bit. They say it's suspension is load, but the Maxima had the noise in the front instead of the year. If you drive the speed limit in Sonota it'll get 34 mpg at 4200 miles on the odometer. The Maxima SE might get 29/30 but on premium fuel, and when do you need 290 hourses driving around Springtown. Sonata is smoother than the Maxima but has more road noise, but not unbearable to any extent. XM is wonderful, infinity sould is on par with luxury brands. Well made car free of rattles, and never back but for oil changes, believe at this point I may as well not look further than Hyundai for my second car when ready.

Still great after 1 1/2 years...
By Pianoman on 01/13/10 07:35 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I read the posts of others who are unhappy, and I just want to say, that's not my experience at all. After 25,000+ miles, I am still delighted with my 2009 Sonata Limited 4 cyl. Absolutely no money spent other than normal maintenance, and the car continues to run like a champ. Have gotten up to 37 miles per gallon on non-hilly interstate traveling at 70 mph - it is a great highway cruiser with a quiet, smooth ride. Lots of room inside, and build quality is great. It is definitely not a sports car, but I didn't buy it with that expectation - I drive my wife's Legacy GT if I want kicks. Still like it better than my 3 previous Accords. Overall, I'm very happy - no buyer's remorse at all.

The worse decision I've made
By Worst Mistake on 01/01/10 15:27 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 Sonata new and I have had it for a year and half and have had to take it to the dealer 7 times in addition to it regular maintenance. The upholstery of the driver seat was coming off within the first 3 months of having the car (3 trips total for that because the dealer did not have the part and then installed it incorrectly). Then, the side view mirror became loose without any reason (no dent or damage) resulting in 2-3 trips to the dealer. Lastly, a whistling noise was coming from the engine and clicking sound was noted from the shift gear box. The whistling sound ended up being the catalytic converter which had to be replaced.