Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Decent Car
By BBuff

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

All in all this is a very decent car. It is roomy and comfortable. Satellite radio and sun roof for a very affordable price. The gas mileage with the 4- cylinder is great and performance is at least adequate. The road noise is louder than I would wish, and there is a big THUMP when you slow down as it shifts into first gear, especially when you first start it, at first I thought the brakes were catching, it is such a sudden phenomenon. I love the warranty, but having said that, quality-wise, it doesn't compare to my previous Toyota or Lexus, but then, it didn't cost nearly as much as my Camry or Lexus.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, sun roof, audio jack features one would expect in a more expensive car

Suggested Improvements

Quieter cabin; smoother transmission

Great car
By kim

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After having BMW for years, I got very tired of the very expensive up-keep ($1000 every time you visit the mechanic, and $125 oil change) I decided to buy Hyundai, man what a great decision the car is everything you expect from a car that size plus some. My wife dumped the awful 2009 Camry and now I can not get her out of this Hyundai, it is quite comfortable on a long trip the gps is very user friendly, the dealer is extremely nice. In short I would recommend this car to my mother over in garbage that Toyota is dishing out.

Favorite Features

i like the 2009 design better than 2010.

Suggested Improvements

make the 18" tires standard,and keep up the good work

GPS Upgrade, $199.99 "Robery"
By VICTOR216

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The GPS update is $199.99 per yr, I will buy a TomTom Portable GPS with lifetime Free Map Updates. Second Problem on the Hwy wind noise is too laud as if we had our windows open, poor construction. Acceleration very week, transmission problem but the dealer can't find the problem. Corporate office won't even help they will refer you to the local dealers where they continued to fail finding the problem. Good looking car but Construction & Customer Service is very poor.

Favorite Features

Interior Room

Suggested Improvements

GPS Service, Construction and better Customer Service Staff.

Great value, solid car
By Paul

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2009 Sonata Limited for about 10 months now and could not be happier. There was an irritating rattle in the driver's side window that the dealership took a couple of tries to fix but other than that I have no complaints. The V6 gives good acceleration when needed and the handling, while not sportscar-esque, is smooth and pleasant. Excellent brakes. I commute every day about 30 miles each way through some mountain passes in Northwest Washington, which can get dicey in the winter. Or for the rest of the year it is raining. The Sonata is a good inclement weather car, at least for these parts. I have averaged a solid 30 mpg highway miles and 25-27 in town. Very solid, reliable car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, solid workmanship in components, good brakes, smooth handling, peppy V6.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had purchased navigation.

33 mpg hwy - 26 city, reliable, roomy
By MiMo

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have now tested the car for about 10,000 miles and I'm really happy with my sonata. The mileage is awesome: 2 adults, one kid, one trunk full of heavy stuff and I managed to get 33 mpg on highway, between Sacramento and Los Angeles. Same combination between San Diego and Phoenix with a/c on and I got 33.3 mpg. Two adults, 2 hours of stop-and-go in la traffic (rush hour) and a/c on and I got 32.8 mpg. No mechanical problems so far, between 30k-40k miles. XM satellite radio is a must on long trips. I really miss the steering wheel controls for radio/mp3/XM and electrical controls for drivers seat. Other than that plenty of room for a 6' driver and 6.2' behind the driver. No kidding, that good.

Favorite Features

XM radio for long trips. 245 channels with all you can imagine/listen. Awesome. Projector type short beam. No more blinding the incoming drivers. The trunk it's huge. Bugger than Accord or Camry.

Suggested Improvements

Audio controls on the steering wheel should be standard at this level, or for this money for 2.4 GLS. Giving the somehow rigid/sport suspension on GLS (V6 it is even more rigid) I think Michelin Primacy MXV4 will be highly recommended as factory tires or at least Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.