Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 338 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Still love my Sonata
By paul145

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Sonata Limited V6 has more than 30K and I love it - I have had literally zero problems with it. I commute 30 miles each way through rainy and sometimes icy Pacific Northwest mountain passes and it is a champ. Great acceleration when I need it, excellent mpg (30 mpg highway), handles very well and it can comfortably seat four large adults. My wife and I took it on a 1,000-mile trip down Highway 1 in Washington and Oregon and it was a fun drive.

The V^ and I am sorry to hear Hyundai phased it out in newer models of the Sonata. It is a real work horse and gives you the extra acceleration when you need it. I have read some people complaining it is choppy but I have never experienced that. Also love the easy to read dashboard controls, the leather seats that are holding up very well and the very smooth cruise control. I commute pretty far distances and also enjoy the nice radio, CD and XM Radio.

I have not yet figured out the trip counter but that is probably just me. I also don't link the inside trunk opener, which is awkward (I just use the electronic click on my key ring instead). Also the coat hanger design in the back seat could be improved. But these are all very minor complaints. This is easily the best car I have ever owned. I enjoy driving it every day.

3 year review
By gd3

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the Sonata almost 3 years ago and now have 55k mostly highway miles. Travel about 80 miles/day for work. The cloth seats are some of the most comfortable non leather, non premium seats I've used. Nice thoughtful interior. It has so many upgrades that have trickled down to a base car over the years. The ac and heat are fine although climate control would be nice. The XM is a feature that I use regularly and enjoy. I have done nothing to it except regular maintenance and a new set of tires. I average about 30 mpg going 70-75 on the highway.

The full size cabin and trunk. the seat comfort, XM radio, reliability, and the overall value of the vehicle. I paid $16,500 for it new and it has cost no money. Considering the mileage I get and I'm able to write off the mileage, its a money maker.

Only 3 - the suspension conveys the bumps on uneven surfaces more than I'd like. The acceleration on ramps could be better and the handling could be more taut.

Another solid performer in it's class
By SevenBizzos

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning an Elantra for 125k miles with no issues (until it met a guardrail), we moved up in class and picked up the Sonata Limited V6.
So far, it's been an excellent choice.

Our MPG has ranged from 33 on a highway trip with 100% fuel, to 23 that was mostly suburban traffic with E10 winter blend.
I think that's a fair number considering the engine displacement and size of the vehicle.

The all leather interior is quite comfortable. The premiun Iinfinity sound system is excellent for being OEM. The handling is very nice and the cornering is average. Acceleration is more than adequate and I have yet to fully open the engine up. Controls from the steering wheel are nice. A lot of areas for storage that are convienent work well too. So far, maintanence has been easy. Oil changes are about the easiest I've ever seen.

As with our Elantra, the transmission shifting is weird and rough. It's inconsistant and makes funny noises. I'm not sure why Hyundai's are like this. The stock Hankooks are poor and need replacing quickly. We'll be in a new set by 30k and I'm actually happy about it. Getting the stock garage door opener to work correctly was frustrating. I just gave up.

bad gas mileage and bad shitf at 38 to 42 mph
By eprice5829

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my sonata new in 5 of 09 and from the very begining had very poor gas mileage and a shifting issue with the trans at about 38 to 40 mph and around 15 to 18 on the rpm gauge when I brought it back to the dealer for service I was told it was how the car was supposed to drive and that there was nothing they could do to fix the problem except to flash the computer and then reset it . I was also told that it was the way that I was driving the car. now that I had the computer reset and the trans flashed I now get 15.9 miles per gallon to a full take of gas and was told that it was because of the winter gas that is now out on the market well to that I say B S

the car looks very nice and is comfortable to drive in and has a very large trunk to put my kids stuff in

Great car for the money
By Marc

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I commute 80 round-trip to work and average 32 mpg in hilly terrain. No problems so far. This car is very comfortable, roomy, and quiet. I looked at comparable Toyota, Kia, Nissan and Chevrolet products and none compared to Hyundai.

Easy to live with, XM radio, smooth ride.

Annoying rear axle "thump" over some rough surfaces. No steering wheel controls on base model.