2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Awesome deal!
By sjacob on 03/12/10 10:43 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got my sonata about 7 months ago and have approx 12000 miles on it and not one single complaint! Car is responsive, great in the rain/snow, comfortable on long trips and all around practical everyday driver! Got it during the cash for clunkers deal, and I am fully satisfied! I am steadily getting 27 mpg city / 30+ highway (I have a very heavy foot too!)

Excellent Car
By Andre on 03/09/10 14:50 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Sonata. I had the 2003, 2006 and now have owned the 2009 for 9 months. You can't beat the price for such a quality car. I get 33 mpg on hwy and 29 combined city/hwy. The 2009 is superior to both 2003 and 2006 for that. The ride is quiet and comfortable. The oil filter is placed right on top of the engine, which makes it easy to replace... A brilliant idea!

Great first impression
By BBuff43011 on 03/04/10 12:30 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After hours and hours of research, I finally drove a Hyundai. I was a little afraid of Korean auto makers because of previous cheap quality, but the Sonata reviews have been pretty favorable since 2007. I love the feel of the ride: comfort, handling, the whole thing. It drives like a more expensive auto and I'm loving the satellite radio. Dash lights are pleasant and easy to read, positioning of the fuel and trunk release buttons is brilliant. Lumbar support works well for my 5'2" frame and the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty doesn't hurt. Definitely impressed so far.

A good value but at what price?
By CADixon999 on 03/01/10 12:04 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall, my 2009 Sonata GLS has been a dependable car for a very good price. I, like many others, have the dash/windshield creaking problem. This did not fully develop until around one year of ownership. The noise is present with every movement of the car (light acceleration, braking, undulation) not just over speed bumps or potholes. Call me OCD but it is so annoying, that I am about to dump the car at a loss. The dealer did try to fix the problem by re-seating the windshield but the noise is even worse after their "fix". If you can live with sub-par build quality and rattles, then the Sonata is a good deal. I am going back to a REAL foreign car like Honda or Toyota!

Solid Value
By sigma on 02/26/10 07:50 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased my Sonata in May 2009. After careful research, (Edmunds very helpful). To date, I have but one puzzling issue with this vehicle. 5spd auto-transmission seems to "search" for proper gearing while operating. Notice from other owners of this model vehicle finding the same incidence involving transmission. This aside, all else with this vehicle is quite acceptable. Cheers!

OK car
By Myra on 02/25/10 20:01 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning Camarys in the past looked at the Sonata because of price and consumer rating. Overall the car is OK. Smooth braking to a complete stop is impossible. Transmission seems to jump out of gear at times.

So far, so good!
By JohnG on 02/22/10 20:19 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

With just about 9000 miles, my Sonata is running with no problems. The fuel economy has been as expected (I usually average 28 mpg per tank). Although some say its a "Lexus-like" ride, I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. The interior (especially the center console) looks great and the amount of standard features really won me over. The 4-cylinder engine does run a bit rough on cold days but usually is docile unless its really pushed. The transmission does tend to upshift quickly on the automatic (I believe in order to give better fuel economy). So far I don't hear any rattles in my car. I hope to keep the Sonata for a long time, especially because of the great warranty.

Great Car and keeping on being great
By Dennis on 02/18/10 07:15 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in a '07 Corolla. Wanted more car and was doing a 67 mile round trip commute. Needed good mpg and Hyundai delivers the same mpg as the Corolla did. We recently have had back-to- back blizzards in MD and my Sonata never let me down. No need for AWD or Four WD with the Sonata having FWD and traction control coupled with Triptronic auto transmission. I love the car. Car is luxurious in GLS trim.

Great Car..You can't ask for more
By rmiller on 02/16/10 20:29 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Had to trade my '02 Celica and did a lot of research.Found my Sonata w/30k miles and can't believe what a great car it is. I'm 54 and have owned about 20 cars, foreign and domestic and love this one. First trip was 200 miles thru a blizzard and it soldiered right thru,nary a twitch. The four cylinder engine has plenty of power and gets close to 40 mpg. Electronic stability control, supportive seats, satellite radio, plenty of airbags, smooth/quiet ride and lots of room. What more can you ask for? My friends who own Accords and Camrys were stunned...especially when they found out how much more they spent.

Nice Car!
By driver on 02/05/10 22:59 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It is a very nice car! I have been driving for more than 10k. no problem!! very reliable. Better than 'pedal' Camry :)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$115 per month*