2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
New Navigation System
By Bob on 04/25/08 08:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Although the newly released 2009 Sonata offers a new navigational system with nice features, it may have been released prematurely. Typically I drive approximately 42,000 miles annually along the east coast. I rely heavily on construction and accident location information. The navigation system offers a detour selection allowing you to plan a detour at various distances. After several days with no answers from the dealership or Hyundai Corporation, and many hours on the phone doing refreshes to the XM NAVTraffic downloads, the answer that finally arrived was that Hyundai did not release the NAVTraffic capability in the 2009 model. Release is expected sometime next year. What a bummer!

Great Car, Great Value
By Clark on 04/24/08 18:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I never thought that I would buy a Hyundai. I spent six weeks looking for a 5-door econobox to get better mileage on my long commute. I looked at the Honda Fit, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3, etc. I wanted a small car that would carry cargo. So why would I end up with a sedan. I bought the Sonata because it was a great car and a great value. It also gets great mileage (38 mpg on the Interstate at 60 mph). I wanted the four-cylinder to get better mileage. What I didnít expect was great performance. I also didnít expect to have a luxury car with almost all the options I could think of for such a low price. If you buy a Sonata, you'll be happy Ė guaranteed (10 years/100000 miles happy).

Sonata issue with IPOD player
By Pat on 04/16/08 06:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall the car seems to be an excellent value. My only concern and something Hyundai doesn't seem to be able to resolve is the IPOD port. I have connected 3 different IPODs in and none worked. The only music that played was some MP3 songs no Itunes. I went to my local dealer who couldn't resole the issue I contacted Hyundai directly and the response I got was to go to another dealer to have them look at it, even though that dealer is over 50 miles away. So still no answer to why the IPOD port doesn't work.

Hyundai Rocks
By CHIFLYGUY on 04/12/08 08:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Excellent car so far. Extremely smooth ride, transmission, and very responsive 4.25 mpg city so far. Soaks up bumps very well here in Chicago (city of potholes). Seats very comfortable and gives the driver good driving position. Has everything I want except bluetooth. Love the new interior that feels like a Lexus. If you are looking for Accord/ Camry you must look at this car as well. I believe it is just a better car plus its thousands less with hell of a warranty.

Money Well Spent
By mausman on 04/11/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I just took delivery and am pleased thus far. The interior upgrades (esp. The dash) are vastly improved. Getting about 29 mpg so far. I personally wouldn't spend the monies on the v6 as the upgraded motor has plenty and the throttle response is 'right there' when giving it gas. Also why we bought is the increased seat width and more spacious cabin. We were looking at a 06-07 Nissan altima, but found the 4 cylinder to be noisy when shifting through gears. Plus the altima is priced 5-6k more. The fit and finish is tight and the ride is very quiet and smooth! Only thing missing is the tight steering response. I'll write more when I can get it away from my wife and finally drive it!

Best Bargain among mid-priced sedans
By BigJim on 04/10/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Never pictured myself in a Hyundai (I own 2 hondas), but on-line research suggested a test drive was in order. I tried the sonata in '08 and '09 4 and 6 cylinder limited editions. Didn't care for the interior design of the '08 console, but the '09 has European luxury styling outside and Lexus-like feature inside. I planned to buy a 4 cylinder for mileage, but fell in love with the power of the new 6 cylinder. Lots of Nice features, and first rate build quality. The limited is a lot of car for the price of a stripped down model elsewhere! Never even made it to Honda or Toyota-- the best a Camry or accord could have done would have meant matching the sonata's quality for at least $7k more

Overall... Impressed
By Hyundai NJ on 04/06/08 15:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

DRIVING: The most obvious difference in the 2009 is the tighter suspension system, which can take off-ramps at 50-60 mph without feeling like the car is going to roll. I also own a Mercedes-Benz and can say that this Hyundai's suspension is remarkably comparable (never thought I would say that). Also, the transmission shifts much smoother than the earlier edition. There's also a more robust engine which delivers oomph when you touch the pedal. Cabin noise has been reduced substantially, as compared with earlier. INTERIOR: They finally got the interior right! It looks like, and may very well be, a high end car now! Color combination in the Camel interior is beautiful. Dash is remarkable!

Beautiful inside & out!
By seximobile on 03/27/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The redesign is a lot more fluid and curvy than last years box. I test drove last year's 08 sonata and it only had ok power. The upgrade on the new four-cylinder feels like there is more power off the line and highway passing. If I lived in hilly terrain, I would purchase the v6 but when I climb hills, I use the shiftronic and it goes just fine. Exterior is beautiful and Pearl White is stunning. Could go without steel wheels, but the covers have a Nice design. Interior is very Nice with high quality cloths and plastics. Good stereo.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$115 per month*