Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Love it
By TL

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my car since September last year, and I've put a little over 8000 miles on it since. Though it's over 6 months old, it still brings a smile to my face when I walk out to it. What it boils down to, is that you can't get a better car for the price. The standard features beat the competitors in its class hands down, even at a lesser cost. Comfort, size, safety... all excellent. Not quite as "sporty" as the Accord, but more luxurious... so it's a price I gladly pay. I tend to have a lead foot, as the saying goes, so my fuel economy suffers... but that aside, I don't feel I get decent MPG. I've gotten compliments from, literally, everyone who's been in my car.

Favorite Features

Warranty! Of course. Zippy V6, sexy exterior, 6 disk MP3 player, built in USB and aux, 6.1 speaker stereo system, clean attractive interior, how do I pick? I guess my favorite thing is that it's mine all mine.

Suggested Improvements

"Intelligent" braking? Not so much. I'm a very precise driver... when I brake lightly, it's wholly intentional. When this kicks in it over compensates and brakes harder. I also don't like the TCS much. It's *great* safety wise, but when I'm hauling *** around a canyon, I want to break traction.

very well done i am very happy
By joe

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I am very pleased with the limited v6 the handling is very good hyundai did a excellent job with the 09 sonta limited those that have the models that are under the limited should have test drove the limited you would have been sold on it this car is very well put together with a very good ride and excellent gas mileage i am a premium gas man and my mileage is 32 on the hwy nothing to complain about this excellent car

Favorite Features

like everything

Suggested Improvements

power passenger front seat,fold in mirrors wing should be standard with the limited auto start with limited standard

Great car!
By Indiana BOB

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased for size, economy, manual option and warranty. I have drive Subarus for 30 years but the Legacy is much smaller,and has poorer mileage (due to AWD). I have 6k in mileage; On recent trip to Kentucky I got 32.5MPG going around 70- 75mph. The only complaints I have are the manual trans is not as positive is shifting compared to Subaus I have owned and also Honda Accouds/Civics and Mazadas I have driven which are owned by family members. (Even my 86 year old mother drives a Civic with a stick shift!)Hope the trans gets smoother as it breaks in; MPG has increased. Another strange issue is that when back windows are down at highway speed that there is a loud wind noise.

Favorite Features

Power, smoothness, size of interior, nice exterior (maroon), Great economy,

Suggested Improvements

Light interior - Only option for maroon exterior in US (other markets have darker), windnoise with back window down, smoother transmission

four and counting
By redswd

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Hyundai and my third Sonata and they just keep getting better and better. the new 4 cyl. has plenty of power but does it's business without harshness or excessive noise. Ride quality has improved noticeably and road and wind noise levels have improved. Haven't had it long enough to log my mpg. Will come back when that's sorted out. The exterior changes this year are minimal and add only a little to the already pleasant design. This car's forte is the new interior. Beautiful, quiet, comfortable, spacious about sums it up. Kudos to whoever designs their interiors!

Favorite Features

New interior layout, dual zone climate control, ride quality, standard XM.

Suggested Improvements

power passenger's seat, memory seats. The 290 horse Genesis motor with 6 speed, sport suspension and paddle shifters and make it an option in the SE.

Hyundai fan
By John

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I replace my 2005 Chevy impala with this car. My car payment went down $ 100 a month and I feel I got a better car. It 175 hp vs 200 it fills as quick and the ride's better. Gas mileage on Chevy 16 to 28 / Hyundai 21 town 33 at 75 on highway. Love the ride and the head room I'm 6,3 lot of room in back for the kid's the dealership treat me like I got a BMW. I sold Honda's for 6 month and Hyundai has them worried if I didn't know it I would think I was diving a Honda accord. And not the Honda accord vp this car way better.

Favorite Features

All the stuff you get on the base car, all safety features, mp3 hook up or lap top, tilt wheel, one push driver door, power Windows. Big gas tank less time at gas station drove from ky to on one tank of gas my other car's would have to fill up one or two times on the trip.

Suggested Improvements

For the money I'm happy.