Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Worth reading
By John

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Let me start by saying that I think any new car review by owner needs to be prefaced with "What car were you driving before you bought this ?" Everyone has their own standards by which the judge a car. It would be helpful to know where the owner is "coming from". In my case, I was driving a 97 4Cyl Camry with 101K miles. I have owned the Sonata for 3 months now, and so far I am really pleased with all aspects of it. Initially I felt that the steering was a little bit of a slave to the road, pulling either way depending on which side of the crown I was on. But that has worked itself out after the first month. This is a great car.

Interior.... the whole interior is great. I challenge anyone to find a car in this price range that has an interior that can compete with the 2009 Sonata. Everything is laid out beautifully, chrome in all the right place. The dash looks even better at night, a very pleasing display

I think a 6 speed would be a good idea. The right arm rest could be better situated for driving comfort.

Overall, pretty great.
By Enjoying new Sonata.

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I like most everything about our new Sonata. The (PE) Popular Equipment package, for about $600 extra, makes the GLS pretty nice, w/pwr seats, woodrgrain interior trim, radio controls on the steering wheel, trip computer. Somehow the advertised price of $14k went up to $21k by the time I got out the door (service contract, taxes, extras like floor mats) even tho I qualified for the $3500 rebates.

XM satellite radio. The many [affordable] convenience features. They told me the BlueTooth is invaluable, but I dont know how to use it yet.

I dont understand why the speedometer has to read to 160mph; this makes the lines very close together, and very difficult to read accurately for typical 35 mph driving where lots of police. Also, dont care much for the air bag warning light that stays on all the time if no front seat passenger

great car.
By Kenny

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my GLS 4 cylinder with a 5A transmission last July and haven't had a mechanical problem with it since. the dash looks beautiful with a nice LED blue lighting. the audio system is great with cool features such as ipod and USB integration. Electronic Stability Control comes standard on all models, and one can turn it on and off. ESB only comes available on higher level Camrys and it is always on. I can go about 450 miles on one tank of gas. Overall, for the money, I couldn't be happier.

the cluster looks very nice. good audio system. suspension is very comfortable. turning is very predictable.

the interior material on the GLS needs to be improved. The dash can become sun-washed and the material on the doors can become easily scratched.

Rides great in Chicago
By Chicago Riding

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle to get out of my 2004 Chevy Impala with 13800 miles and a tranny that was slipping. the color is the first thing i noticed as it has a pop to it that looks different. for a base model i was impressed with the features. leaving a V6 for a V4 was hard but my pockets is happy as the gas mileage is 25-28 on the city streets and 29-31 on the highway. speaking of the city streets, Chicago is the worst with pot holes everywhere including the highway. this car moves great to avoid them and when i do have to go over some it doesn't feel too bad. i compare this to my wife's altima and i love it. she actually wants to take the sonata over the altima.

aux and usb port, sun roof and color

stronger build on the interior. i hear something rattling in the back but can't find it.

More problems than all cars ever owned
By Hyundai is Bad

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Sonata GLS 5m, and have had more problems with this car than all of my owned cars combined. Since the first week I have had problems hyundai has continually been lost in diagnosing the problems. The vehicle has been in the shop for almost 80 days with the following problems. Mis-fire codes - 5 times with no resolution. Blown Hydraulics - 4 times (clutch) Suspension is very noisy over bumps. Cruise control intermittently fails. Brake pedal fades to the floor and hissing. Exhaust rattles and is noisy under acceleration. Instrument cluster became unreadable. Drivers seat cushion failed and metal parts are hitting body. Spongy drivability when it's hot, rattles all over

XM, USB, headlamps.

Stop using Chrysler/Mitz engines, separate clutch and brake hydraulics, use better material for seats, redesign the suspension, better aerodinamics to handle cross winds, higher 5th gear ratios (3,000rpm at 70mph is too high) and better paint quality.