2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
2009 Sonata - great car
By Mike on 05/30/08 17:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just got my 09 sonata. 4 cyl with popular eqip. #2. Interior is very classy, Lexus-like. Wood grain is awesome. Dealer said I got the only cocoa metallic in pa. Still on my first tank of gas. Getting 35 on highway @ 65 mph. I did little city driving, but that seems to be around 30 mpg I am a big guy and I fit comfortabally. I test drove a 09 corolla. No comparison. Toyota dealer acted as if I would be doingthem a favor buying their precious Toyota. They seemed shocked I even wanted to test drive it and could not figure out why I needed to take it on the hiway for higher speed driving. This is my 2nd Hyundai, traded a 2003 Santa Fe with 100k on it.

Bill PA
By William Moyer on 05/25/08 09:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I only have the car less than a week and I previously owned a 2001 Sonata. WOW, what a difference and surprise. I'm the envy of the whole neighborhood! My fiance is so impressed she's thinking of purchasing one herself!

Awesome Ride
By Sonata Boy on 05/24/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I look at several brands (you name it) over the last 3 months, the one car I keep coming back to was the Sonata. I did not purchase because of the great price only; it has a lot of standard equipment and quality. Many talk about trade in value, I say remember Honda and Toyota not many wanted one of them in the beginning. You have to give up the ghost and admit this car is awesome to own, drive and be seen in. I have black with black leather and when I am driving I believe it feels like it cost me over 30 grand. Now the good news; averaging 33.8 mpg on the highway and loving it. If this car is not on your list rethink what you are doing before you buy anything.

Limosine Looks and Quality
By Oldcarguy on 05/19/08 20:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a black/black Limited V-6 in February. Compared the Accord, Camry, Malibu, Sebring, G6, etc., and the Sonata beat all of them in price and fuel mileage. Have just over 3000 miles on it and we get about 25 mpg in local (suburban) driving and between 33 and 35 on the Interstates. Highly recommend the wheel flaps and trunk liner to keep the outside and inside clean. I'm 6'3" and my wife is short and both of us have no problem getting comfortable driving positions. Very smooth and comfortable, easy to maneuver and park, have gotten many compliments on the looks ("looks like a Lexus"), probably on the color. Great warranty!!!

One of the best balanced Midsize sedans
By Moocow1 on 05/15/08 15:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is the car to get if you want an extremely cost efficient mid-size car. Hyundai improved the interior majorly over the original 2008 model. The seats are more comfortable, the controls are almost perfect. The engine and powertrain are great with a 5 speed auto matched to a PZEV 2.4L. This is certainly not the most sporty car, but it has plenty of power for a 4 banger. Highly recommended over almost any other mid or compact sedan.

Excellent Car - Excellent Value
By PV on 05/14/08 05:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car for my Fiancé to get something bigger than her Mazda Miata and we couldn't be happier. I love the car and some of my previous cars include BMWs and Mercedes. Hyundai really did a great job with the interior of this car. It looks very "Lexus like". The Exterior is great, despite the wheels. My Fiancé still doesn't like the wheels, but they're actually starting to grow on me. I guess it makes it look more European. It also drives great. Plenty of pick-up in the V6. Initially, we were going to get the 4 Cyl, but at the time we got it the 4 Cyls weren't as available as the V6s. I'm now glad we got the V6, and the MPG difference is negligible, plus it has dual exhaust

Have You Driven a Hyundai...lately?
By Dan on 05/13/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Never thinking that I would ever set foot into a Hyundai dealership, I was convinced to do so by my wife who stopped in and drove a 2008 Sonata. After doing so myself (home security), the sales person suggested I test drive the 2009. Even though the 2008 was an incredible bargain, I absolutely fell in love with the 2009. The ride, fit and finish, attractive looks and terrific warranty convinced me that the 2009 Sonata deserved my hard earned dollars. Only driving this absolute winner of a car for two months,but I am thrilled with it. The best vehicle with the best warranty on the market. Well done Hyundai. Only complaint is that the navigation system is yet to be offered in Canadian Sonatas.

A lot of car for what you pay
By mervay2 on 05/07/08 23:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Have had for 18 days now. Not as powerful or as steady as the PT cruiser I had, but is real quiet and has a great ride. Getting 27 mpg and I can use regular gas. Lots of room inside. I got the fabric protection, good thing I did. First week I had it, my daughter spilled a red cherry drink in the back seat. Wiped up real easy and No Stain!! The dash layout is great. The Ipod and audio jack works great with my Ipod Nano.

Best BAng For your Buck!!!
By Thundercat on 05/02/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was going to buy an Accord or Camry when I decided to also test drive the 08' Sonata SE. As soon as I got it in, I knew it had something special.I couldn't find an 08' when I was ready to purchase it so I decided to get the 09' Limited V6 instead in Willow Gray(nice color!). It offers an excellent, comfortable, & quiet ride. 30 days and 1,015 miles later here's the scoop: Mileage is about 17-18 mpg/local and I'm averaging 23-25/hwy.(Not bad considering it's a 249 Horsepower/6 Cylinder). The ride is very smooth and responsive. The bottom line is this: Don't worry about its resale value, save your $, and go with it. At least test drive and consider it vs. its peers.

Best Deal Out There In Midsize Lux Sedan
By Dave on 04/26/08 19:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Wow, just got this car home today! It's the V6 Limited model with navigation, which was the only option. The Limited model is fully loaded with just about every feature you could want. There was a $1,000 rebate on the car which was icing on the cake, because it's already under priced in my opinion for what Hyundai is giving you. I haven't owned the car long enough to discuss reliability, but Hyundai has come a long way in the past 25 years and I'm sure it will last me a long time with regular maintenance. What an amazing vehicle! Perfect interior ergonomics, extremely quiet even at 80 MPH, very fuel efficient for a V6, and very fun to drive! The 2009 Sonata refresh is a home run!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$115 per month*