2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Throttle problems
By Ned on 07/06/10 10:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My throttle has stuck on multiple occasions. Dealership has no idea of cause. I have eliminated cruise control and floor mat possibilities. The automatic transmission occasionally drops down two gears at a time causing a sudden deceleration and alarming thump when letting of gas and gently applying brakes. other than this, it is the best car I have ever owned. Incredible gas mileage when using cruise control and gasoline without ethanol. (31 mpg) from a 260 hp v6. Handles like a sports car. rides like a caddy.

Great car, great value
By JasonPorter on 06/16/10 20:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dealership loaner car with 4.5K miles to be used as Daily Driver. I had my eye on a Sonata since they changed the body style, but never made the jump until the interior upgrade. Hyundai has come a *long* way in 10 years - major kudos! Fit and finish is first class for the price and the warranty is amazing - this is a company that actively sought to make a car to pounce on Toyota and Honda buyers and succeeded. V6 rated at 'only' 249 HP, but if you think you need more in a FWD car...you probably shouldn't be looking for a FWD car! If someone told me in 2000 I would one day choose to buy a Hyundai, I'd have laughed. Now though, I'm glad I did - major props for an *excellent* product!

Good Car
By Punumscott on 06/04/10 14:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A solid performer. 14,000 miles and no real problems. Have experienced same minor issues mentioned by other owners such as squeaky dash/window and unusual/rough gear changing with auto transmission. Handling is a little loose and suspension is a little rough and noisy. Random feature on infinity sound system has an irritating software flaw that causes it to play the same songs over and over again. On the positive side system sounds great.

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS - LAH Review
By Lord Alfred Hayes on 05/27/10 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

For the price paid, this is a great car to drive for comfort and reliability thus far. I bought the car in January 2009 (should have waited a month due to tax breaks but oh well) and now have 18,500 on the car. I am averaging 26 MPG with city driving and am consistently in the lower 30s MPG with highway driving. The only problems I have with car are the cruise control (sometimes unresponsive), the paint (flaking away on the hood and the front grill) and the instrument panel lighting which seems to flicker often and cannot be fixed since Hyundai service personnel cannot replicate the problem.

Third Sonata
By JF Parker on 05/18/10 20:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 3rd Sonata and each one is better than the last. It is the best dollar for dollar value on the road, delivering power and comfort whether in the mountains or on the interstate. The dealer service is consistent, thorough, and priced competitively. Any minor issues have been satisfactorily corrected. Steering is tight and responsive with good road feel, acceleration is strong, leather seats are comfortable but firm and secure. Really like the tire pressure monitor gauge. Everyone who has ridden in the car is surprised by its interior space, styling, and comfort. And we still have the 05, a friend is now driving the 01.

Engine Light / Emissions / Gas
By mgm on 05/11/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Hyundai - I previously had the Elantra with over 100k miles - some minor issues brought the 2009 Sonata - been in shop 3x's in last 2 weeks - dealers states it's EVP emissions - see no recall on net with other owners - at wits end with new car having issues

paint issues
By bob nolan on 04/26/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

well,I have 18,000 miles on my limeted 4cly,and have no major huge issues,we drove from Wisconsin to South of tucson this feb and avg 27.9 mpg,nice ride and love the handling and no blind spots,rotated tires as factory pressure settigs wear middle of tires out.I am concerned about the paint and feel its thin and cheaply done,chips easy and wife had luggae slip out of hads and the paint Rolled off trunk bunmber area,black molded plastic.No dealer help,I think dealers lie and warranty means crap to them as a whole,I plan on having this car along time ,so we shall see.gps was hard to get used to but love it,like heated seats and sun roof,I think it is owrth what I paid $22,000.not penny more

Good Buy, Looses Value. Boring.
By ZNJ on 04/01/10 05:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

General: Boring, reliable, comfortable, good initial value, horrible resale value. OK if you plan to keep forever, lousy if you intend to trade or sell within 3 years.

sunroof shattered
By Andrew 1554 on 03/24/10 05:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was very happy with the v6 limited version up until the sunroof shattered. Driving along on the highway with no trucks or cars around, not near any underpasses, and then a great big crack and wooshing wind noise. Dealer is running away from the issue, I read other people had this problem. The car was four months old when it happened. All glass is covered with no deductible so it won't cost me anything, but there is no question that this is product defect not a stone.

2009 Sonata SE
By MBashore on 03/14/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall, I really enjoy the car. The only thing is the dashboard squeak when it is cold outside. I notice when it warms up, there is no dashboard squeak. The interior of the car is nice, but the outside (besides the front) is a little plain. The 4 cylinder does not really have too much power taking off, but while on the highway, if you press down the pedal, it'll give you the power you need.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan in VA is:

$115 per month*