Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

bad gas mileage and bad shitf at 38 to 42 mph
By eprice5829

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my sonata new in 5 of 09 and from the very begining had very poor gas mileage and a shifting issue with the trans at about 38 to 40 mph and around 15 to 18 on the rpm gauge when I brought it back to the dealer for service I was told it was how the car was supposed to drive and that there was nothing they could do to fix the problem except to flash the computer and then reset it . I was also told that it was the way that I was driving the car. now that I had the computer reset and the trans flashed I now get 15.9 miles per gallon to a full take of gas and was told that it was because of the winter gas that is now out on the market well to that I say B S

Favorite Features

the car looks very nice and is comfortable to drive in and has a very large trunk to put my kids stuff in

Great car for the money
By Marc

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I commute 80 round-trip to work and average 32 mpg in hilly terrain. No problems so far. This car is very comfortable, roomy, and quiet. I looked at comparable Toyota, Kia, Nissan and Chevrolet products and none compared to Hyundai.

Favorite Features

Easy to live with, XM radio, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Annoying rear axle "thump" over some rough surfaces. No steering wheel controls on base model.

Beware of Warranty
By Arthur

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I rarely write review, but I have to write one for Hyundai. The warranty is not as it advertised. I bought it as brand new and after 3 months the AC is not working. So I took the dealer and they said a rock had hit my car and damaged the air condition function. I have been driving other cars for the past 20 years with different brands. I cannot believe the Hyundai's product is so fragile. So today, I bring my car to another Hyundai dealership, they still cannot warrant it. I asked why other cars that I had driven for years that I never seen or heard this type of problem. They said, its Hyundai's design. I do a lot of researches when I buy car, but I will never buy a Hyundai again!

Suggested Improvements

Prove your warranty is true!

Another great Hyundai
By D Fuller

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Hyundai, all great cars. The 09 has 45,000 miles now with absolutely no problems. The 4 cylinder engine has all the performance any normal driver could want. Gas mileage is excellent 44 mpg (imperial gallon) on highway trips. Very well equipped for such an inexpensive car. Move over Toyota!

Favorite Features

Comfort,reliability,mileage

Suggested Improvements

Nicer interiors, all gray is a bit drab.

Happy with this car
By Diana Reed

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Considered and then bought this car on advice from car-nut friend who reads all the magazines, etc. I dive a lot and have been very happy with the car. No problems at all.

Favorite Features

Light encircling the ignition. Very helpful at night. Heater works quickly. Knowing that Hyundai is innovative; looking forward to a Sonata Hybrid.

Suggested Improvements

I have trouble seeing reading blue lights on instrument panel in daylight. Would like foldable exterior mirrors, thermometer, more exterior and interior color choices, softer seats, and an oil cap that isn't so hard to unscrew.