Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 339 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Love this car
By R P

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's definitely a "sleeper"
By Jay

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 09 sonata used with 70k miles and have had no issues up to 96k miles during my ownership. It's reliability gives me the greatest sense of relief. For what it is, with its smaller v6, it really likes to show off if you let it. With good summer tires, and traction control off and in sport mode while manually shifting, on takeoff tires are almost garunteed to spin a little, very vocal. You can also get tires to spin in motion if you drop into first under 20 and hit it. No it's not a performance car. But I have beat Mustangs, G35s, TL, Audi A4 & A6, MazdaSpeed3, and many other comparable V6s. Over 4000 rpm you can feel the valves open completely and a small surge in power. The addition of VVT was added in 09 I believe with direct injection. Gas mileage is great for all of this. And runs on regular.

Best car ever owned.
By Geo

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Most reliable vehicle, more so than the Corolla, Tacoma, Civic parked in the drive. 116,000 miles, never an issue. Picked it over the Camry & Accord because of comfort. Bought in spring of '08, but is an '09 model. Up to 37.5mpg hwy. Will definitely go Hyundai again.
As of 4-28-16, the Sonata now has 119,680 miles, and I won't give it up! Runs perfectly on it's eighth birthday. I did find two items to complain about, after a great deal of thought: First, the dashboard has too much glare in daylight, making it about impossible to see the speedometer with the sun beaming directly into the cockpit. Second, the dimmer rheostat doesn't dim the dash enough for nighttime driving, and as I work nights, it is a bit bothersome. Petty stuff, right?

Be prepared for frequent check engine!
By Michael

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car a year and half ago as a second user. It had only 75K miles on it and it looked in a great condition.
5 Months after, and the check engine was on. It took me days and trial and error at the mechanic to troubleshot the issue. it wasn't the mechanic fault, it was how complicated the issue was, and the code tells more than 8 different possibilities! Now the engine light is back on again but this time is for transmission! it has only 100K miles, and the transmission specialist told me it would be at least $1800 to get it fixed! That was very unreliable for a car that is only 6 years old with 100K miles exactly on it. I wish I bought a Camry.

Love this car
By Robert Gravel

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Sonata V6 Sport since new from March 2009 til now (Feb 2015) and there's 71,000 km on it.It's been flawless the whole time except 2 years ago I had to get the TPS replaced under warranty (a known issue that I knew about before buying this car).I've stuck to the maintenance schedule and again it's been perfect.I replaced the battery last year but having a battery last THAT long is pretty good especially when I do a lot of city/short distance driving.

The acceleration is amazing.

Well it's too bad you can't get a V6 in a Sonata anymore unless you spend MORE and buy a Genesis.I do like the new style of the 2015 Sonata.