2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Beware of Warranty
By Arthur on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I rarely write review, but I have to write one for Hyundai. The warranty is not as it advertised. I bought it as brand new and after 3 months the AC is not working. So I took the dealer and they said a rock had hit my car and damaged the air condition function. I have been driving other cars for the past 20 years with different brands. I cannot believe the Hyundai's product is so fragile. So today, I bring my car to another Hyundai dealership, they still cannot warrant it. I asked why other cars that I had driven for years that I never seen or heard this type of problem. They said, its Hyundai's design. I do a lot of researches when I buy car, but I will never buy a Hyundai again!

Another great Hyundai
By D Fuller on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Hyundai, all great cars. The 09 has 45,000 miles now with absolutely no problems. The 4 cylinder engine has all the performance any normal driver could want. Gas mileage is excellent 44 mpg (imperial gallon) on highway trips. Very well equipped for such an inexpensive car. Move over Toyota!

Happy with this car
By Diana Reed on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Considered and then bought this car on advice from car-nut friend who reads all the magazines, etc. I dive a lot and have been very happy with the car. No problems at all.

Decent Car
By BBuff on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

All in all this is a very decent car. It is roomy and comfortable. Satellite radio and sun roof for a very affordable price. The gas mileage with the 4- cylinder is great and performance is at least adequate. The road noise is louder than I would wish, and there is a big THUMP when you slow down as it shifts into first gear, especially when you first start it, at first I thought the brakes were catching, it is such a sudden phenomenon. I love the warranty, but having said that, quality-wise, it doesn't compare to my previous Toyota or Lexus, but then, it didn't cost nearly as much as my Camry or Lexus.

Great car
By kim on 08/13/10 08:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After having BMW for years, I got very tired of the very expensive up-keep ($1000 every time you visit the mechanic, and $125 oil change) I decided to buy Hyundai, man what a great decision the car is everything you expect from a car that size plus some. My wife dumped the awful 2009 Camry and now I can not get her out of this Hyundai, it is quite comfortable on a long trip the gps is very user friendly, the dealer is extremely nice. In short I would recommend this car to my mother over in garbage that Toyota is dishing out.

GPS Upgrade, $199.99 "Robery"
By VICTOR216 on 08/06/10 16:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The GPS update is $199.99 per yr, I will buy a TomTom Portable GPS with lifetime Free Map Updates. Second Problem on the Hwy wind noise is too laud as if we had our windows open, poor construction. Acceleration very week, transmission problem but the dealer can't find the problem. Corporate office won't even help they will refer you to the local dealers where they continued to fail finding the problem. Good looking car but Construction & Customer Service is very poor.

Great value, solid car
By Paul on 07/28/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2009 Sonata Limited for about 10 months now and could not be happier. There was an irritating rattle in the driver's side window that the dealership took a couple of tries to fix but other than that I have no complaints. The V6 gives good acceleration when needed and the handling, while not sportscar-esque, is smooth and pleasant. Excellent brakes. I commute every day about 30 miles each way through some mountain passes in Northwest Washington, which can get dicey in the winter. Or for the rest of the year it is raining. The Sonata is a good inclement weather car, at least for these parts. I have averaged a solid 30 mpg highway miles and 25-27 in town. Very solid, reliable car.

33 mpg hwy - 26 city, reliable, roomy
By MiMo on 07/21/10 03:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have now tested the car for about 10,000 miles and I'm really happy with my sonata. The mileage is awesome: 2 adults, one kid, one trunk full of heavy stuff and I managed to get 33 mpg on highway, between Sacramento and Los Angeles. Same combination between San Diego and Phoenix with a/c on and I got 33.3 mpg. Two adults, 2 hours of stop-and-go in la traffic (rush hour) and a/c on and I got 32.8 mpg. No mechanical problems so far, between 30k-40k miles. XM satellite radio is a must on long trips. I really miss the steering wheel controls for radio/mp3/XM and electrical controls for drivers seat. Other than that plenty of room for a 6' driver and 6.2' behind the driver. No kidding, that good.

Safe, Great Car, did I mention Safe?
By Rob M on 07/12/10 12:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The best car for the dollars, bar none. I had it for two months and then was rear ended by a full size Chevy pickup. Yes, I had some damage but the active headrest moved forward for both my wife and I and despite the impact from the speed of the Chevy we were FINE. I drive this car 96 miles per day and it is economical, reliable, comfortable and, did I mention, safe. Room for my 6+ ft sons in the back. GM has lost me to Hyundai, the only thing I don't like is that mine looks dowdy next to the new ones, very sharp. I have owned dozens of cars in my life and this is the very best for the money spent..a great value.

throttle and tranny problems
By Ned on 07/06/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 30,000mi. Since about 5,000mi. the transmission sometimes kicks down two gears when lightly applying the brakes. results in a startling heavy thump & deceleration. the throttle has stuck open both on the open highway and in town resulting in scary moments. Had to throw it in neutral and shut the key off then turn the key back on without using the starter, throw it back into drive . engine started back up like nothing ever happened. Doesn't happen often but when it does WOW! dealership has no clue to the cause. said no one else has reported that problem. Wish it had outside temp info. other then this, what a great car ! handles like a sports car, gets 31mpg in cruise from a V6 250 hp

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in WA is:

$143 per month*