Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Love this car
By Robert Gravel

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Sonata V6 Sport since new from March 2009 til now (Feb 2015) and there's 71,000 km on it.It's been flawless the whole time except 2 years ago I had to get the TPS replaced under warranty (a known issue that I knew about before buying this car).I've stuck to the maintenance schedule and again it's been perfect.I replaced the battery last year but having a battery last THAT long is pretty good especially when I do a lot of city/short distance driving.

Favorite Features

The acceleration is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Well it's too bad you can't get a V6 in a Sonata anymore unless you spend MORE and buy a Genesis.I do like the new style of the 2015 Sonata.

Great car, great value
By JasonPorter

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dealership loaner car with 4.5K miles to be used as Daily Driver. I had my eye on a Sonata since they changed the body style, but never made the jump until the interior upgrade. Hyundai has come a *long* way in 10 years - major kudos! Fit and finish is first class for the price and the warranty is amazing - this is a company that actively sought to make a car to pounce on Toyota and Honda buyers and succeeded. V6 rated at 'only' 249 HP, but if you think you need more in a FWD car...you probably shouldn't be looking for a FWD car! If someone told me in 2000 I would one day choose to buy a Hyundai, I'd have laughed. Now though, I'm glad I did - major props for an *excellent* product!

Favorite Features

Very well-though-out center console controls. I like cars of the mid-to-late 90's, and appreciate the buttons for each function, rather than a generic touch-sensitive telepathic multi-knob for everything that some brands flaunt these days. Interior finish on-par with cars costing $10k+ more.

Suggested Improvements

Wished the Manual-mode shifter held gears while decelerating rather than dropping as speed slowed, but not a huge deal if you pay attention. Would like to see a V6 option on 2012 models, unlike the solo engine offered at the time of this review. All future models should come with a free cookie.

1+ years later...
By Randy

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had my SE-V6 for a year and a half and clocked just over 23,000 miles. I'm still happy with it, no problems whatsoever (mechanical, body, or electrical). I read others have had problems. Did I just get lucky? I average 21mpg in the city and 32-33 on the highway (mostly 70-75mph); I really like the fact that I can travel over 500 miles on the freeway on one tank (made it from Las Vegas to Stockton, well over 500 miles).

Favorite Features

Power, gas mileage, stereo system, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Dual manual climate controls (as opposed to dual automatic controls on the Limited). My previous car had this feature. (the wife either freezes me or cooks me!)

Great Value
By MSlevens

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It took about a year to decide to buy the Sonata. After driving 3 Sonata rental cars I was impressed with the performance and tightness of the cars. First impressions with my new Sonata is that it is like driving all over again as far as fun goes. This car is tight, handling is nimble, not like my 2006 Mustang GT but very close to it. The car loves mountain roads, and turnpikes. Gas mileage to the mountains was 29 mpg up and 32 mpg home over 400 miles round trip . Comfort meaning quietness , temperature controls and radio is excellent.The car does have the typical Hyundai road "feel" meaning that you will feel road surface imperfections such as poorly installed blacktop.

Favorite Features

The looks of the car, fit, design and finish is excellent. Quality is certainly primary in design and manufacture in the car. Very quiet and handling is great.

Suggested Improvements

Have moisture in the headlight lens- Cap on one of the bulbs was loose.No external temperature display in mirror, compass only.

Love driving this car
By Yam55

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 engine on this vehicle is a blast to drive. Very responsive, smooth, and with a nice exhaust note. The transmission adapts to your driving style. The sport-tuned suspension is another big plus. The safety features can't be beat and with pretty much all options is still thousands less than Toyota or Honda. Long term reliability remains to be seen but build quality seems first rate and the car is very roomy both front and rear. The warranty was also a factor in the purchase just hoping I won't have to use it much. Mileage is excellent on the highway (30+) but city is not so great (19-21) but that might be due to my heavy foot.

Favorite Features

Excellent value for the price. Smoothness and power of V6, roominess, standard safety features, XM radio, IPod connectivity, handling of SE suspension

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest needs to be longer. It's pretty much useless where it is now. Shiftronic upshifts are made by pushing gearshift forwards which seems backwards to me. Minor dash creaking mainly upon first 10 minutes of driving after that they go away.