2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Great car, great value
By JasonPorter on 06/16/10 20:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dealership loaner car with 4.5K miles to be used as Daily Driver. I had my eye on a Sonata since they changed the body style, but never made the jump until the interior upgrade. Hyundai has come a *long* way in 10 years - major kudos! Fit and finish is first class for the price and the warranty is amazing - this is a company that actively sought to make a car to pounce on Toyota and Honda buyers and succeeded. V6 rated at 'only' 249 HP, but if you think you need more in a FWD car...you probably shouldn't be looking for a FWD car! If someone told me in 2000 I would one day choose to buy a Hyundai, I'd have laughed. Now though, I'm glad I did - major props for an *excellent* product!

1+ years later...
By Randy on 01/20/10 16:14 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've now had my SE-V6 for a year and a half and clocked just over 23,000 miles. I'm still happy with it, no problems whatsoever (mechanical, body, or electrical). I read others have had problems. Did I just get lucky? I average 21mpg in the city and 32-33 on the highway (mostly 70-75mph); I really like the fact that I can travel over 500 miles on the freeway on one tank (made it from Las Vegas to Stockton, well over 500 miles).

Great Value
By MSlevens on 11/22/09 08:43 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It took about a year to decide to buy the Sonata. After driving 3 Sonata rental cars I was impressed with the performance and tightness of the cars. First impressions with my new Sonata is that it is like driving all over again as far as fun goes. This car is tight, handling is nimble, not like my 2006 Mustang GT but very close to it. The car loves mountain roads, and turnpikes. Gas mileage to the mountains was 29 mpg up and 32 mpg home over 400 miles round trip . Comfort meaning quietness , temperature controls and radio is excellent.The car does have the typical Hyundai road "feel" meaning that you will feel road surface imperfections such as poorly installed blacktop.

Love driving this car
By Yam55 on 11/02/09 15:33 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 engine on this vehicle is a blast to drive. Very responsive, smooth, and with a nice exhaust note. The transmission adapts to your driving style. The sport-tuned suspension is another big plus. The safety features can't be beat and with pretty much all options is still thousands less than Toyota or Honda. Long term reliability remains to be seen but build quality seems first rate and the car is very roomy both front and rear. The warranty was also a factor in the purchase just hoping I won't have to use it much. Mileage is excellent on the highway (30+) but city is not so great (19-21) but that might be due to my heavy foot.

2nd review, still learning
By gary on 10/16/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

All good, finding new things on this machine every time out. Found take off in automatic a little hesitant but not used to drag race, so ok. Did a little research anyway reading tech data. It makes since to me why now. Drive train is made to get max fuel economy w/fare amount of horses. Using same 3.3L v6 added cvvt, new injection system boosted HP and MPG + Shiftronics all new f/2009. Trans has special valve to somewhat control RPM surge in auto mode manual side no valve 1st geared lower. You control RPM's. Better jump, don't hit car in front. Good f/ city driving. Also car has timing chain not stupid belt. Traction control is great when rain puddles on hiway.

so far GREAT!!!!
By bayou man on 09/06/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After much research and comparisons we decided on the SE v6, this style gave us more standard options than any of the others. Plus several other options added at no extra charge, add in the warranty and it was a easy decision. It may have a little less horsepower rating than some of the top competitors but unless you buy it to drag race, or want to exceed 145 mph I think it is more than efficient. You get advantage of great gas mileage 32.5 hyway,would only wish I could have got that kind of mileage with my 63 Impala SS W/ SAME HP. BEATS OUR 2.5L V6 mAZDA by a long shot.Ride is awesome, quite, smooth and precise, interior is great. Find a better deal than this buy it.

Sonata is fantastic - mpg over 30!!
By Dan C on 07/16/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Sonata is the SE V6 model. This car is really amazing. The V6 rolls down the interstate at 75-80 with no effort at all. Have just gone by 13k miles. Once this got to around 12,000 miles, the fuel economy was almost unbelievable. Now averaging over 30mpg with set @ 75mph!! Handling is great. Seats are really comfortable. If there's better performance coupled with fuel economy in a V6 with 250 hp, I'd be surprised. We bought this over the Accord, Camary and Malibu and so for have NO regrets at all!!

Great Car So Far.
By Holajn on 05/25/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great car for my family. We have had to replace the radio twice already. It had several electronic glitches. The warranty covered it and will cover future repairs for the next ten years. The Sonata is additionally very efficient, it has plenty of horsepower which still managing to get 29 mpg on the highway.

Ok but has Issues
By Karen on 03/05/09 20:38 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Like the overall car for looks and roominess inside. A little disappointed how the vinyl doors inside scratch easily. Sporty and stylish.

Great Value, Excellent Car
By Jordo on 02/19/09 08:44 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The only complaint I have is the fuel door doesn't open very well. Also during the break in period the transmission shifted rough. Now transmission is starting to shift smoother.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan in VA is:

$129 per month*