2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Love this car
By Robert Gravel on 02/19/15 20:54 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Sonata V6 Sport since new from March 2009 til now (Feb 2015) and there's 71,000 km on it.It's been flawless the whole time except 2 years ago I had to get the TPS replaced under warranty (a known issue that I knew about before buying this car).I've stuck to the maintenance schedule and again it's been perfect.I replaced the battery last year but having a battery last THAT long is pretty good especially when I do a lot of city/short distance driving.

Bad News for Dependability
By smac5 on 12/26/14 07:40 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After researching the Sonata, I was convinced that it is was a reliable car. Oh how wrong I was. At 70000 miles the engine started to fall apart from the inside. Of course I bought the car knowing that I needed a car that would get me well past the payments, and since I still owe $11,000 + I am more than upset to add over $5000 in engine replacement costs.

BEWARE!!! Hyundai Manufacturer "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty Not Always Honored by Dealerships!!
By jbcanderson on 09/15/12 10:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 09 Sonata V6 Limited in Dec of 08 and an Azera in Mar of 09. Both cars have needed repairs which I was assured by Hyundai Motors were covered by their bumper to bumper warranties, but which a local dealer, Doral Hyundai, refused to warranty, claiming owner fault rather than factory defect. They are [non-permissible content removed] extraordinaire! It is impossible to get them to fix anything under warranty; they always try to charge the vehicle owner. Hyundai has no way to make a dealer honor the factory warranty, claiming dealers are franchises and they can't make them do anything! Each dealer decides what they will or will not warranty. I had to "shop" for a dealer that would honor the warranty.

3 years, 3 transmissions
By lbcsd on 11/03/11 11:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2009 Sonata in August 2008 and am at 58,000 miles am on my 3rd transmission. My car has been in the shop 6 times since purchase, 3 times for over a week. I got a lemon! Hyundai corporate has been horrible to work with not helping the situation one bit! I had to search for a dealership that would provide a rental car without me having to pay. I have contact Hyundai with each repair and have received little to no responses. I am researching lemon law rights, but think I am out of luck unless I need one more transmission - which might happen! This is the first and last Hyundai I will purchase!

good car but some limitations
By carl12 on 10/09/11 19:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used in 2010. I replaced a bmw 535. I was impressed how the car is built. It is pretty bullet proof. It is much quieter than a Honda and rides as nice as a Toyota model. My commute takes me 130 miles over two mountain passes in Washington. I carry between 2 and 4 adults. I average 28.5 mpg. Another carpooler gets 31 with his 6 cylinder Camry. So, that disappoints. The other issue is that the weight limit on this car is about 835 lbs. 4 adult men add up to that and if you add any luggage, you are around 1000 lbs. I mention this because during one drive on an icy I-90, flat road, I could barely hold the car to the road, semi trucks passed me.

Wheel Covers
By cdunagan on 09/27/11 06:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The only issue I have with my 2009 Sonata is the rusting of the wheel covers. I take excellent care of my car and do not agree with the Lia Dealership that the rust is due to salt from the winters. I wash my car every week during the winter to prevent rust. Hyundai nor the dealership have a concern with this defect.

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
By gwh2 on 04/26/11 16:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great Car! I have get 40 Miles per gallon/6.9 liters per 100 liters on the highway and 35 Highway - City mixed. Just past my second anniversary and the 50,000 Km mark. I have done only regular maintenance. I appreciate the great dealer service too. I cannot say enough positive about the car as it is still just like new. I drove a Volvo before this and the Sonata is a superior car never mind the value for dollar you get!

Still love my Sonata
By paul145 on 04/20/11 15:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Sonata Limited V6 has more than 30K and I love it - I have had literally zero problems with it. I commute 30 miles each way through rainy and sometimes icy Pacific Northwest mountain passes and it is a champ. Great acceleration when I need it, excellent mpg (30 mpg highway), handles very well and it can comfortably seat four large adults. My wife and I took it on a 1,000-mile trip down Highway 1 in Washington and Oregon and it was a fun drive.

3 year review
By gd3 on 03/25/11 12:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the Sonata almost 3 years ago and now have 55k mostly highway miles. Travel about 80 miles/day for work. The cloth seats are some of the most comfortable non leather, non premium seats I've used. Nice thoughtful interior. It has so many upgrades that have trickled down to a base car over the years. The ac and heat are fine although climate control would be nice. The XM is a feature that I use regularly and enjoy. I have done nothing to it except regular maintenance and a new set of tires. I average about 30 mpg going 70-75 on the highway.

Another solid performer in it's class
By SevenBizzos on 01/22/11 16:00 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning an Elantra for 125k miles with no issues (until it met a guardrail), we moved up in class and picked up the Sonata Limited V6. So far, it's been an excellent choice. Our MPG has ranged from 33 on a highway trip with 100% fuel, to 23 that was mostly suburban traffic with E10 winter blend. I think that's a fair number considering the engine displacement and size of the vehicle.