2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
throttle and tranny problems
By Ned on 07/06/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 30,000mi. Since about 5,000mi. the transmission sometimes kicks down two gears when lightly applying the brakes. results in a startling heavy thump & deceleration. the throttle has stuck open both on the open highway and in town resulting in scary moments. Had to throw it in neutral and shut the key off then turn the key back on without using the starter, throw it back into drive . engine started back up like nothing ever happened. Doesn't happen often but when it does WOW! dealership has no clue to the cause. said no one else has reported that problem. Wish it had outside temp info. other then this, what a great car ! handles like a sports car, gets 31mpg in cruise from a V6 250 hp

Throttle problems
By Ned on 07/06/10 10:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My throttle has stuck on multiple occasions. Dealership has no idea of cause. I have eliminated cruise control and floor mat possibilities. The automatic transmission occasionally drops down two gears at a time causing a sudden deceleration and alarming thump when letting of gas and gently applying brakes. other than this, it is the best car I have ever owned. Incredible gas mileage when using cruise control and gasoline without ethanol. (31 mpg) from a 260 hp v6. Handles like a sports car. rides like a caddy.

Excellent Car
By Andre on 03/09/10 14:50 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Sonata. I had the 2003, 2006 and now have owned the 2009 for 9 months. You can't beat the price for such a quality car. I get 33 mpg on hwy and 29 combined city/hwy. The 2009 is superior to both 2003 and 2006 for that. The ride is quiet and comfortable. The oil filter is placed right on top of the engine, which makes it easy to replace... A brilliant idea!

Love my Hyundai
By snovacancy on 08/26/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Sonata for 10k miles...and I still love it. I moved from a 4 door pickup and was very nervous about going to a sedan. No regrets. Also I've looked and looked and can not find anything wrong with this vehicle. This is the only car I've owned that I've not had to take it back for some kind of warranty work.

Hyundai Sonata The Winner
By RocketScientist on 08/02/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased after reviewing and test driving the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. My impressions: Solid well built car, great amenities, nice ride. Before buying I read the reviews about the car being a rattle-trap on bumpy roads, well my driveway is about 150 yards of dirt washboard and the car didn't rattle excessively while traversing it. Yes with the very tight suspension you can feel the road irregularities, the car however never feels out of control. And it really feels and sounds solid. My other car is a Merc-Benz S420 and the sounds in the driveway are comparable. I would recommend this car to anyone needing reliable basic transportation at a value price. Paid $200 under invoice.

Great Review of a Hyundai?!?!
By BasicTek on 05/23/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Taking a risk and buying a Hyundai after 11 years of ownership of a Nissan Maxima. There have been many doubts but so far this Hyundai keeps dispelling them. Unlike any other car I've owned this one has prompted me to drive out of the way just for the sheer enjoyment of driving and listening to the amazing stock stereo system. For a mid sized car it comes awfully close to Cadillac in ride quality. If you need to save precious $$$ from a new Camry or Accord I suggest you take gander at this car before making a decision. Hyundai has a chip on its shoulder and it shows as their newer products may not be just closing the gap but jumping ahead instead.

"my sonat is hot
By rockstar on 10/25/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After having a 01 Saturn, elantra07 and now the sonata. After originally test driving Genesis, priced to high, but loved it overall. Without even test driving sonata I said, if price was good I'd buy. After the test drive, I was impressed! Bought it, traded 07 elan (elantra). I really enjoy my 09 sonata it turns heads where ever I go it's black on black (black out) and pulling up next to a Toyota cam, Honda accord, even a c-class Benz. I truly recommend if you looking for a great car sonata 09 is it. Buy it now. Proud to drive a sonata.

Bill PA
By William Moyer on 05/25/08 09:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I only have the car less than a week and I previously owned a 2001 Sonata. WOW, what a difference and surprise. I'm the envy of the whole neighborhood! My fiance is so impressed she's thinking of purchasing one herself!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$129 per month*