Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

throttle and tranny problems
By Ned

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 30,000mi. Since about 5,000mi. the transmission sometimes kicks down two gears when lightly applying the brakes. results in a startling heavy thump & deceleration. the throttle has stuck open both on the open highway and in town resulting in scary moments. Had to throw it in neutral and shut the key off then turn the key back on without using the starter, throw it back into drive . engine started back up like nothing ever happened. Doesn't happen often but when it does WOW! dealership has no clue to the cause. said no one else has reported that problem. Wish it had outside temp info. other then this, what a great car ! handles like a sports car, gets 31mpg in cruise from a V6 250 hp

Favorite Features

powerful engine, great gas mileage, nice sounding audio system, great handling, comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

outside temperature info and multiple cd changer

Throttle problems
By Ned

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My throttle has stuck on multiple occasions. Dealership has no idea of cause. I have eliminated cruise control and floor mat possibilities. The automatic transmission occasionally drops down two gears at a time causing a sudden deceleration and alarming thump when letting of gas and gently applying brakes. other than this, it is the best car I have ever owned. Incredible gas mileage when using cruise control and gasoline without ethanol. (31 mpg) from a 260 hp v6. Handles like a sports car. rides like a caddy.

Suggested Improvements

head rests are uncomfortable needs outside temp & compass info

Excellent Car
By Andre

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Sonata. I had the 2003, 2006 and now have owned the 2009 for 9 months. You can't beat the price for such a quality car. I get 33 mpg on hwy and 29 combined city/hwy. The 2009 is superior to both 2003 and 2006 for that. The ride is quiet and comfortable. The oil filter is placed right on top of the engine, which makes it easy to replace... A brilliant idea!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage Quiet ride Comfort Large trunk Fold down back seats

Suggested Improvements

Interior colors. The yellowish interior and seats need to change. The natural khaki exterior, which I like, comes only with this yellow/beige interior. Hyundai should offer more color options for the interior

Love my Hyundai
By snovacancy

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Sonata for 10k miles...and I still love it. I moved from a 4 door pickup and was very nervous about going to a sedan. No regrets. Also I've looked and looked and can not find anything wrong with this vehicle. This is the only car I've owned that I've not had to take it back for some kind of warranty work.

Favorite Features

The XM radio...the driver's seat that I can raise (I'm short) and the overall comfort.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see an exterior thermometer display inside the car.

Hyundai Sonata The Winner
By RocketScientist

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased after reviewing and test driving the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. My impressions: Solid well built car, great amenities, nice ride. Before buying I read the reviews about the car being a rattle-trap on bumpy roads, well my driveway is about 150 yards of dirt washboard and the car didn't rattle excessively while traversing it. Yes with the very tight suspension you can feel the road irregularities, the car however never feels out of control. And it really feels and sounds solid. My other car is a Merc-Benz S420 and the sounds in the driveway are comparable. I would recommend this car to anyone needing reliable basic transportation at a value price. Paid $200 under invoice.

Favorite Features

Style, Looks, Value Price

Suggested Improvements

Outside Air Temp display in cockpit.