2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Nice Car!
By driver on 02/05/10 22:59 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It is a very nice car! I have been driving for more than 10k. no problem!! very reliable. Better than 'pedal' Camry :)

The worse decision I've made
By Worst Mistake on 01/01/10 15:27 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 Sonata new and I have had it for a year and half and have had to take it to the dealer 7 times in addition to it regular maintenance. The upholstery of the driver seat was coming off within the first 3 months of having the car (3 trips total for that because the dealer did not have the part and then installed it incorrectly). Then, the side view mirror became loose without any reason (no dent or damage) resulting in 2-3 trips to the dealer. Lastly, a whistling noise was coming from the engine and clicking sound was noted from the shift gear box. The whistling sound ended up being the catalytic converter which had to be replaced.

This is the one
By Popps on 12/16/09 16:19 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is third Hyundai we have owned and it won't the last if we live long enough. Can't beat it for the price.

nice car
By jmathew926 on 07/21/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

very nice drive, the tan interior looks great, smooth ride, no complaints about the car

Trip to thru the southern states
By cajim1 on 06/26/09 20:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The car belongs to my wife, but because it was new, the 2009 Sonata, GLS, 2.4L pezev, 5 Spd auto. This car replaced a 2006 Sonata. It had been a good car but this new car is an excellent ride and many may not believe the gas mileage we obtained. I drove all but 200 miles of our 6000mi trip. I filled each tank and checked the mileage for the entire trip. The total avg MPG was 30.9. Lowest tank MPG was 27.8 the highest MPG was 34.5. Given just a little care on the acceleration...One can easily get 500 Miles out of a full tank of gas. I recorded several in the hi 400's and one at 497mi another at 488. Ride quality is much improved over the '06. We are a two Hyundai car family love'm both...

Import Quality Domestic Price
By frank on 06/22/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Since I drive a great deal I get another car every three years on high mile lease programs. I have leased, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, All GM, FOrd, Chrysler vehicle's. For at least 50,000 miles of hard driving in all conditions over the past 27 years. I personally will get ONLY hyundai's for the rest of my life unless the company changes a lot. Value in supreme, comfort is great, handling in snow is great, visibility is great. Very Solid car. Until a co-worker got me to look at the Hyundai It was never considered. I have had a Sonata SE V6 since 1/15/09. My wife even replaced our Lexus RX 350 with a Veracruze by Hyundai

We'll see how it goes from here
By Ozzie on 05/25/09 17:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought it after reading a lot of reviews and test drives on Memorial weekend. I knew that many people are complaining about suspension noise and cracking noise from dashboard due to temperature fluctuation. But the price was unbeatable, I have option package 2 and I paid almost 6K less than Accord LX. I put only a few hundred miles, so far I no problems other than cracking noise coming from the dashboard when I turn on A/C.

Worth reading
By John on 05/15/09 13:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Let me start by saying that I think any new car review by owner needs to be prefaced with "What car were you driving before you bought this ?" Everyone has their own standards by which the judge a car. It would be helpful to know where the owner is "coming from". In my case, I was driving a 97 4Cyl Camry with 101K miles. I have owned the Sonata for 3 months now, and so far I am really pleased with all aspects of it. Initially I felt that the steering was a little bit of a slave to the road, pulling either way depending on which side of the crown I was on. But that has worked itself out after the first month. This is a great car.

Great Stuff
By gdgoffnet on 02/16/09 12:43 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Only 1400 K on this so far, and am looking forward to putting on another 300000. Smooth acceleration, quiet ride. I'm 6'6 and this car is comfortable for me.

Buy this car!
By Jeremiah on 02/09/09 05:59 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After driving this car for over 8000 miles, I'm still pleased with what a tremendous value it is. GLS has all the options you need with popular equip. pkg. Pretty powerful for a 4 cylinder while getting great mileage for a car this size - 27 mpg mixed city/highway. Originally thought about civic/corolla/elantra, but this car was a class up for the same price (with incentives). Great interior! Very quiet car. ESC works great in the snow. Manually shifting the automatic works OK, but upshifts are slow. Also, it tends to downshift from 5th to 4th on even the slightest hill in cruise control on the freeway. Oh well. Seats could use more lateral support when cornering.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$128 per month*