2008 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
TIMOTHY
By Timothy on 05/11/10 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had two Sonata's since 2001 and they have BOTH been without major problems. Great little cars, Great price and minor write-up have been resolved by Hyundai. By the way, I'm REALLY NOT an employee!!

Sunroof on 2008 Sonata
By Mark on 04/09/10 06:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2008 Sonata GLS new in March, 2008. Since Day 1 there has been a rattle in the slider of the sunroof. Dealership 1 had car for one week in July,2008 to fix problem.... still rattled. Took it back, was ignored! Took vehicle to Dealership 2 and they got permission to re-do the sunroof this past January. They found clips were missing in sunroof. Problem still exists! Am now awaiting the same Dist. Mgr. who saw car in June of 2008. After taking car to three dealers like Hyundai asked, I am fed up with all the time spent taking car to dealers. Poor communications between dealerships and Hyundai. Will not recommend Hyundai ever to anyone!

Buy one you'll be glad you did.
By Dan on 04/04/10 15:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First thing you need to do is spray the seats with stain guard the material on the seats is awfully easy to stain. The car is great rides and drives better then Camry or anything else in its class with a very quick engine, no motor noise comfort is stellar it is very roomy for the size. I just can can't find anything to complain about. It is a great little car and 32 mph mixed driving is not bad. Do that in a Camry I don't think you can and gas will get to about 4.00 a gallon just wait and see. The car is fast no motor noise can't be beat for the money.

NOT IMPRESSED
By Sad Owner on 03/23/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just got my hyundai sonata serviced because it had this noise coming from the engine and it could be heard from the interior of the car. It made noise when I shifted to drive and reverse. And was loud while driving on the highway. I thought is was the power steering problem because it sounded like it when it is running low in fluid. However, that was not the case, but a solenoid problem. The parts has to be ordered and will call when it arrives. Hopefully, that would fix the problem. If not, according to the service staff, the transmission would have to be replaced. VERY SAD! I had the vehicle for 2 years and put 44,000 miles on it already with regular maintenance. We like to travel!

Happy owner of used 08 GLS
By happy owner on 03/03/10 23:36 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my wife this car used a year ago for an amazing price ($13K w/ 13K miles and sunroof). Both of us love it and always choose it over my Frontier unless we need to haul something. We've gotten 29.9 mpg overall (my wife was getting 32 mpg overall for a while when commuting to work) and don't find the power lacking at all. It is a little asthmatic when loaded up with four pax and going up mountains but works fine for everyday commuting. Trunk is spacious and easily holds both our golf push carts and both sets of clubs. Fit and finish is great and haven't had a single maintenance issue yet (though we drive conservatively to maximize mpg). Gotten up to 33-35 mpg on long trips.

Over rated-low trade-in/resale value
By wxyz on 02/10/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Soft Suspension. Check all 4 corners manually for bounce and excessive rebound. Michelin tires wore out at 28K miles. Excessive suspension noise on bumps or holes. Excessive lean on cornering or curves and excessive front end dip on stopping. Very low trade-in allowance. Dealer says warranty does not cover tires, struts or shocks.

Fantastic Drive
By linda on 02/09/10 09:30 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 2 years ago in December. It is a manual 5 speed and I absolutely love the way it drives. It handles the road, curves and bumps wonderfully. The seats are very comfortable. The mileage is super with getting 32 in city and close to 38 on hw.

Very pleased with the Sonata
By Family44 on 02/03/10 12:54 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The car has 40,000 miles on it now and it's been a great car thus far. Absolutely no problems yet. Granted, the car is not a speed demon, but for commuting to work or driving the family around, the car is fantastic.

Junk Vehicle
By Harvey Gosser on 12/12/09 11:42 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

purchase used with 29000 miles. Vibration at 45 miles per hour. dealer adjusted transmission. still vibrates shakes. Door locks quit, dealer install new lock. Now valves are clattering at cold start, left overnight at dealer twice so they could hear noise. Still clattering, must return to dealer again to try & find out problem. Obviously the clattering is metal to metal until oil gets to the valves. Feel every single bump in road like a truck. Car now has 34000 miles & I am real worried it will continue to fall apart. wish i had spent a little more & got toyota or honda. Compare to a yugo. never ever consider buying this car. i read many reviews but most only owner for about a year. beware.

Over-rated
By Stapleford on 09/15/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 08 has several issues, and all seem common with my fellow owner. Loose molding strips, a failed oxygen sensor, failed tire pressure lights. The warranty is attractive, but read the small print, I was disappointed with a transmission issue. This car looks nice but is sluggish around 30- 40mph. It really should not be compared to a Accord or Camry,, unless of course you can measure intangible issues with the cost savings. It does not have the re-sale value associated with Japanese vehicles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.